Democratic Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:25:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Author Topic: Democratic Leadership Elections  (Read 27013 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

It is amazing how bad hofold has become at trolling.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »

I don't like Boehner, but he had the decency to step aside to allow for fresh leadership to take the reins of the House portion of his party. 

He stepped aside when he was unable to lead the caucus. He did not step aside to "allow for fresh leadership".  Pelosi seems to have pretty strong support within the caucus. Why should she step aside?
Boehner's job from 2011-2015 was prolly the easiest ever. All he had to do was block any Dem idea coming from the Senate and shut down the govt. if things got out of hand. How hard could that be? 

Well, he was no good at it. Sort of like you are at posting here Smiley
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »

Spanberger also doesn't appear to be budging either after meeting Pelosi, she's a hard no vote on the floor.

Spanberger strikes me as someone who could potentially become speaker in the distant future.

Agreed. Her seat will have to include Charlottesville first though, to protect future ambitions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »

No one who opposes Pelosi on the floor should ever be given any position of leadership. No mercy for the traitors.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »

I think Tim Ryan and Seth are going to fail but I admire and appreciate the effort. We need to go back to the center.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

No one who opposes Pelosi on the floor should ever be given any position of leadership. No mercy for the traitors.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »

The best possible result of this struggle would be to leave Pelosi in power for just one more session while making room in the leadership for members who are a little more dynamic than Clyburn or Hoyer and totally discrediting figures like Tim Ryan. Somehow, that actually sounds like what is happening?

Yup.

Tim Ryan's and Seth Moulton's plan:

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2018, 04:38:18 PM »

I think Tim Ryan and Seth are going to fail but I admire and appreciate the effort. We need to go back to the center.

Lmao.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »

No, we don't.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »

People who mess with Pelosi have zero idea what they've gotten themselves into. This lady is a master at finagling, arm twisting, and parliamentary tactics. They're just completely outclassed here. She's playing chess while they're playing checkers.

Not everyone is as incompetent, ineffectual, and feckless as John Boehner.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »

Spanberger also doesn't appear to be budging either after meeting Pelosi, she's a hard no vote on the floor.

Spanberger strikes me as someone who could potentially become speaker in the distant future.

The Speaker should never be from a district that is remotely competitive. They're bound to become unpopular both in their districts and nationwide. Same for the Senate leader. Even if her district was shored up in redistricting, it could easily still fall in the next red wave. Any leader should be guaranteed to win by at least 20 points even in the most unfavorable political environment imaginable. Electoral concerns shouldn't even be on their radar at any point.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

No, we don't.

Oh I’m sure atlas takes issue with my stance but thankfully America agrees and has like a net negative 25 point disapproval of Pelosi. Atlas is a far left microcosm, at least for now....
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »

No, we don't.

Oh I’m sure atlas takes issue with my stance but thankfully America agrees and has like a net negative 25 point disapproval of Pelosi. Atlas is a far left microcosm, at least for now....

Literally every single speaker has had a terrible approval, Pelosi is not special in this regard.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »

The Speaker should never be from a district that is remotely competitive. They're bound to become unpopular both in their districts and nationwide. Same for the Senate leader. Even if her district was shored up in redistricting, it could easily still fall in the next red wave. Any leader should be guaranteed to win by at least 20 points even in the most unfavorable political environment imaginable. Electoral concerns shouldn't even be on their radar at any point.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »

No, we don't.

America has the same opinion of all House and Senate leaders of both parties. Always.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »

People who mess with Pelosi have zero idea what they've gotten themselves into. This lady is a master at finagling, arm twisting, and parliamentary tactics. They're just completely outclassed here. She's playing chess while they're playing checkers.

Not everyone is as incompetent, ineffectual, and feckless as John Boehner.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »

Paul Ryan was from a (somewhat) competitive district.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2018, 06:41:42 PM »

1) And Paul Ryan was a pretty terrible and ineffectual leader.

2) And it was gerrymandered for him to be basically as safe as possible precisely because he was prominent/in leadership.

3) And even so, it just went Republican by 12 points as an open seat in a Dem wave year where Dems won the national popular vote by 7-8%.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2018, 04:00:04 AM »

Every Dem opposing Pelosi (without her approval of course, red district dems might need to oppose her for #optics) should be effectively barred from holding any prominent seats in the caucus, party leadership, or prestigious committee assignment.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2018, 04:22:01 AM »

And Hastert was succeeded by a Democrat.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »

Fudge should be challenging Hoyer not Pelosi. If 20 Dems vote no, Pelosi still wins, because those members will vote present and 198 GOPers vote for McCarthy
USO2019PB
Rookie

« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

You do realize that the vast majority of the Democratic candidates who flipped House seats this year were Proggresives who supported Medicare for all, Free College, 15 dollar minimum wage, Gun control, Comprehensive Immigration reform, etc, instead of mushy moderate “New Democrats” who obsess over balanced budgets and bipartisanship, right?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »

You do realize that the vast majority of the Democratic candidates who flipped House seats this year were Proggresives who supported Medicare for all, Free College, 15 dollar minimum wage, Gun control, Comprehensive Immigration reform, etc, instead of mushy moderate “New Democrats” who obsess over balanced budgets and bipartisanship, right?

Yes, but I also legit want a government that can work together and get things done, and I want to see my party take steps towards that. I don’t want gridlock, I want DC to work.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:09 PM »

Yes, but I also legit want a government that can work together and get things done, and I want to see my party take steps towards that. I don’t want gridlock, I want DC to work.

It will start to "work" when we get the Presidency
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:59 PM »

It will start to "work" when we get the Presidency

But why can’t we try to work with President Trump now?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies