CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:59:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs  (Read 6660 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 22, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »
« edited: November 22, 2011, 09:17:05 PM by Beet »

Even taking the CBO numbers as gospel, that's over $240,000 per job!  Not exactly a number to be crowing about.

Why not? That's a lot of money. It's about the amount that I have earned since I started my own job (unrelated to the stimulus, as far as I know), but I hope that my current position will earn me quite a bit deal more, eventually. I'm aware too of course, that the existence of my position has cost my employer a lot more than what I have taken home; as it has to pay for my health insurance, office space, computer, utilities usage, they have bought me a laptop, and have reimbursed other capital expenses. And I'm aware, also that the project that I am on with several other people has required hundreds of thousands of dollars in invested capital in terms of infrastructure, but this cost would be spread across several jobs. In any case, I am aware finally that my employer could have, instead of hiring me to do productive work, thrown much less money and capital at my project, and hired double or triple the number of people to stand around and shovel dirt from one hole to another, then from the destination hole back to the original. Of course, it wouldn't be very productive and would be less desirable than straight out welfare, but it would certainly have padded the dollars-to-jobs figures, were that the main goal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That assumes that it would have been used for other purposes to begin with (and not things like stock buybacks or creating jobs overseas; the entire premise of Keynesian economics is that slack exists.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »

And the CBO pointed out the same thing you did - over the long term, the stimulus will cause the economy to shrink by up to 0.2% after 2016 due to crowding out.

Well it says that it will decrease output by "between zero and 0.2%" after 2016, however they say that this estimate doesn't account for improvements in labor force participation, employment, and productivity as a result of more people working, and working more hours, in 2009-2011 which would have positive effects after 2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies