Wisconsin Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:43:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 79
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread  (Read 285926 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »

I hope Mahlon Mitchell or Susan Hepp step up and run either would be intriguing candidates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #851 on: June 08, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »

I hope Dems get a decent candidate, this will be a major battleground in 2020.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #852 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »

I hope Dems get a decent candidate, this will be a major battleground in 2020.

It makes no sense not to, they are putting Baldwin at risk with a weak Gov nominee.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2017, 04:50:10 PM »

Baldwin votes reliably with Elizabeth Warren and is very much in the mold of Russ Feingold. She will likely benefit from being a good fit for the Democratic electorate of 2018, despite not being an ideal fit for the state.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #854 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »

I know Wisconsin seems to have a pretty awful "bench" of Democrats, but isn't there someone better than Soglin? Even in Madison he isn't as popular as you would expect, and I haven't heard anyone particularly excited about him tossing out the possibility of running for governor.

Honestly, even outside my political beliefs and just as an observer, it would be very frustrating to see Walker win again just because there's no decent competition. I feel like any decent challenge (even from a different Republican in the primaries) would knock him out of the race. He's not that strong of a candidate, but he holds on.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #855 on: June 10, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

I know Wisconsin seems to have a pretty awful "bench" of Democrats, but isn't there someone better than Soglin? Even in Madison he isn't as popular as you would expect, and I haven't heard anyone particularly excited about him tossing out the possibility of running for governor.

Honestly, even outside my political beliefs and just as an observer, it would be very frustrating to see Walker win again just because there's no decent competition. I feel like any decent challenge (even from a different Republican in the primaries) would knock him out of the race. He's not that strong of a candidate, but he holds on.

Schilling would be the strongest imo but she isn't running. Looking like Vinehout will probably run, she'd be the second strongest. Anyone else that I can think of at this point would be awful.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #856 on: June 14, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »

Wisconsin Assembly working on a call for a constitutional convention for a balanced budget amendment. Scary to think how close it is, if enough states pass it the 1st Amendment is one that will be gone for sure, no matter what they say the reason they're calling it is for.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #857 on: June 14, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

Wisconsin Assembly working on a call for a constitutional convention for a balanced budget amendment. Scary to think how close it is, if enough states pass it the 1st Amendment is one that will be gone for sure, no matter what they say the reason they're calling it is for.

Luckily, both Delaware and Maryland have rescinded their prior call.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #858 on: June 14, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »

It is undeniable that a Constitutional Convention would be an easy way for a dictator to seize power. If you get, say, twenty-six delegates in your inner circle elected, assuming each state elects one delegate, you could easily become an absolute monarch.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #859 on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »

It is undeniable that a Constitutional Convention would be an easy way for a dictator to seize power. If you get, say, twenty-six delegates in your inner circle elected, assuming each state elects one delegate, you could easily become an absolute monarch.

But 3/4th of the states would have to ratify those amendments. It would take very wide consensus for a dictator to seize power.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #860 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #861 on: June 15, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »

Soglin would be the Corbyn of the Wisconsin Dems. Old, stale Dem, no new ideas, lives in the past. Loved in Madison but from what I can tell really hasn't done much of anything lately.

Madison's economy is bombing, while the rest of the state is spotty. I think that could be a plus. He's also actually more fiscally responsible than would would assume. Yet I agree, his past would be problematic. Vinehout is the best choice. I still think almost anyone could beat Walker (and he could beat anyone). Trump's approval will play a big part.

It's booming but it still hasn't really produced that many good paying jobs. Epic is a diploma mill that grinds out college graduates as it works them to death and the government is the only other large employer. From what I hear it's hard to find well paying jobs. A lot of graduates try and stay and leave within 5 years for the rest of the country. To be fair it's a state problem, not just the city.

I'm going to disagree here. Madison is actually a pretty easy place to find a good paying job, even aside from Epic. There are a lot of bio-tech and finance firms here. They are building housing everywhere. Aside from Madison, Wisconsin is completely flat in terms of job/population growth.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #862 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

Wow... that seat just became hella competitive.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #863 on: June 15, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

Yikes, his seat is now gone for Republicans IMO. Not feeling great about the Senate race either, honestly. Looks like WI Dems will get a lucky break for once in 2018, like VA Republicans did in 2009 and 2010. Walker should be very worried about all of this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #864 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »

Yeah, Dems need WI badly, its a critical state for Dems in 2020.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #865 on: June 15, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »

But 3/4th of the states would have to ratify those amendments. It would take very wide consensus for a dictator to seize power.

Theoretically, they could suspend that rule.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #866 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »

Theoretically, they could suspend that rule.

How?

The people on this forum screaming about how "Con Con II" will be the end of the American Experiment need to calm down. There is no way a constitutional amendment could get passed anyway, since you can't get 38 state legislatures to agree on anything anyway
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »

The same people predicting this race and other Wisconsin races as Democrat pickups are those who pronounced Ron Johnson dead on arrival. I just thought I better mention that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2017, 01:27:42 AM »

Because up until recently, Wisconsin has been a Democratic leaning state.  And to see a GOPer, even if it is Walker, winning 3 times in a row is hard, very hard.  And hopefully, Ryan loses as well.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »

Of course Walker, Hogan and Sununu, aren't as vulnerable as Governor Rauner.  But, if you look at the landscape, its very hard to see Walker winning 3 terms. 
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »

The same people predicting this race and other Wisconsin races as Democrat pickups are those who pronounced Ron Johnson dead on arrival. I just thought I better mention that.

Nah, of course not, but WI tends to be very favorable to Democrats in off-year elections, especially when a Republican is president. I still think Walker's race is Lean R for sure, but the Supreme Court race and the Senate race are probably Lean D at this point, unfortunately. Still, I'm definitely not making any confident predictions at this point, I'll leave that to other users.

But I don't think Republicans should get their hopes up here, honestly.

Unfortunately? Republicans have been thrashing the state for years at practically all levels. Their only defense is "muh Doyle" even in 2017.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

Nah, of course not, but WI tends to be very favorable to Democrats in off-year elections, especially when a Republican is president. I still think Walker's race is Lean R for sure, but the Supreme Court race and the Senate race are probably Lean D at this point, unfortunately. Still, I'm definitely not making any confident predictions at this point, I'll leave that to other users.

The State Supreme Court race is an outright toss-up at this point. I don't even think we know who the candidates are yet, and the race is an officially non-partisan spring election. How people claim to know which party will win that is beyond me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #872 on: June 17, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2017, 11:09:05 AM by Da-Jon »

The State Supreme Court race is an outright toss-up at this point. I don't even think we know who the candidates are yet, and the race is an officially non-partisan spring election. How people claim to know which party will win that is beyond me.

Partisan redistricting Crt fight in WI and PA will influence the outcomes of these elections in the Democrats favor. The GOP has maxed many of its gains.  Don't forget the Trump GOP bill that gets rid of medicaid expansion, is the same bill Walker championed(Expanding Obamacare) in his reelection fight.  Dems have reason to believe they will win in 2018.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »

Partisan redistricting Crt fight in WI and PA will influence the outcomes of these elections in the Democrats favor. The GOP has maxed many of its gains.  Don't forget the Trump GOP bill that gets rid of medicaid expansion, is the same bill Walker championed(Expanding Obamacare) in his reelection fight.  Dems have reason to believe they will win in 2018.

Oh, I think Tammy Baldwin will win. But the Supreme Court is a non-partisan spring election often done by itself. Its dynamics could be very isolated from the larger context.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #874 on: June 17, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

Oh, I think Tammy Baldwin will win. But the Supreme Court is a non-partisan spring election often done by itself. Its dynamics could be very isolated from the larger context.

I think Dems/lefties missed out greatly by not putting up a challenger in this year's race. The anti-Trump folks were in high gear supporting Evers and they might have been able to push a challenger over the top.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies