Twin Cities Election Results and Demographics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:22:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Twin Cities Election Results and Demographics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twin Cities Election Results and Demographics  (Read 5300 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: November 23, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2008, 01:02:20 PM by ilikeverin »

I have data about the results for just about every election by Minnesota House district... so I'm not entirely sure what board to put this under.  Ah, well; most of the attention will likely be on the Senate results, hence I'm putting this thread here!

House districts:

Senate, overall:

Senate, Barkley %:

Scale: 8-10; 10-12; 12-14; 14-16; 16-18; 18-20; 20+

Well, so much for my sample-size-of-one "Barkley Got Disaffected Suburbanites' Votes" hypothesis... I'll try to get to work on my "Franken Alienated Suburbanites" hypothesis sometime in the future Wink

Inquests?  Requests?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2008, 12:34:53 PM by ilikeverin »

Here's something interesting.  I took the two party vote totals for the presidential and senatorial races.  After adjusting for the statewide margins in the races (if this wasn't done, Coleman would've outperformed Franken in every state house district in the metro area Tongue), I subtracted the McCain vote total from the Coleman vote total, to get this map:

Where yellow is Coleman underperforming McCain and green is Coleman overperforming McCain.  (white is within 0.5 points, and each band is one percentage point, so the lightest yellow is 0.5-1.5 points underperformance, the next one is 1.5-2.5 points underperformance, etc.)

In general, the metro had Coleman overperforming McCain by about 1 point (relative to the overall margin, so about 6.3% total).

I think that 45B is St. Louis Park, while St. Paul is more Coleman because he was mayor there.  This map seems to be in concordance with my "Franken Alienated Suburbanites" hypothesis Smiley (or perhaps Obama was just a particularly good candidate for the western suburbs)

Here's the Obama-McCain map overall:
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »

Comin' right up!

But first, results by Congressional district:

Senate results, Coleman+Barkley:

Senate results, Franken+Barkley:

Senate results, Barkley vote apportioned by exit poll (though I rather highly doubt any poll that says like 7% of Minnesotans wouldn't've voted in the Senate race had it been a two-party race):

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »

Just barely, by 0.17%.  For comparison, the Democrat won the State House district by 4.7%.

The State House member really seems to be the outlier, there; Coleman "only" outperformed state-margin-adjusted McCain by 3.3% (the gross tally was 49.6-48.7 McCain).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

Pay attention to the keys!  Educational data from 2000 by State House district; kudos and such to the Census Department...

No high school diploma:

HS diploma only:

Some college:

Associate's degree:

Bachelor's degree:

Grad school/professional degree:

At least a bachelor's degree:
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies