RIP Mario Cuomo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:34:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RIP Mario Cuomo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: RIP Mario Cuomo  (Read 5500 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 09:14:31 PM »

Basically responsible for NY's mass incarceration.

half-and-half.  Rockefeller wrote the laws, Mario built the prisons.  both are very respected figures among liberals.

Since when is Nelson Rockefeller a respected figure among liberals?!

he's used by liberals as an icon of the "old" Republican party, which consisted of "reasonable" men who could be spoken to, bargained with, and, thus respected.  as opposed to the contemporary Ted Cruz/Michele Bachmann, Dominionist-Leninist GOP. 

it's a poor reading of history, yes.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 02:14:19 AM »

Here is a slightly longer version of Cuomo's keynote speech at the DNC.  Can't find the whole thing yet:
http://youtu.be/kOdIqKsv624
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2015, 02:45:58 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 03:26:10 AM by Adam T »

Here is the whole thing, 4 parts.  No video though, just the audio.
http://youtu.be/LgIMIEXkcz8?list=PL383425891D5BF726

The video automatically advances to each part.

While it's in many ways a great speech, especially for its rhetorical flourishes in going after Reagan, he doesn't mention Mondale once by name and he doesn't point out a single specific policy proposal of Mondale's, he just points out general Democratic Party principles.

While I can understand that a keynote address may not get into policy specifics, the not mentioning of Mondale's name is obviously not an oversight.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »

Here is the whole thing, 4 parts.  No video though, just the audio.
http://youtu.be/LgIMIEXkcz8?list=PL383425891D5BF726

The video automatically advances to each part.

While it's in many ways a great speech, especially for its rhetorical flourishes in going after Reagan, he doesn't mention Mondale once by name and he doesn't point out a single specific policy proposal of Mondale's, he just points out general Democratic Party principles.

While I can understand that a keynote address may not get into policy specifics, the not mentioning of Mondale's name is obviously not an oversight.

I think most Democrats at that point knew Mondale was toast.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 04:15:43 PM by "'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted" »

This was not a slight -- Hart and Jackson were still candidates at the start of the convention, though Mondale was obviously going to be the pick. There were even attempts by Hart supporters to peel away Mondale delegates. So Cuomo was quite right, just as a matter of etiquette, to not make a Mondale boosting speech. He did make allusion to Geraldine Ferraro, who Hart said he'd also choose as running mate.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »

Basically responsible for NY's mass incarceration.

half-and-half.  Rockefeller wrote the laws, Mario built the prisons.  both are very respected figures among liberals.

Since when is Nelson Rockefeller a respected figure among liberals?!

he's used by liberals as an icon of the "old" Republican party, which consisted of "reasonable" men who could be spoken to, bargained with, and, thus respected.  as opposed to the contemporary Ted Cruz/Michele Bachmann, Dominionist-Leninist GOP.

That's mostly about '60s Rockefeller, not Silent Majority/Attica Rocky. But it's certainly overdone, along with the "George HW Bush was a great president" meme.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

RIP.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

This was not a slight -- Hart and Jackson were still candidates at the start of the convention, though Mondale was obviously going to be the pick. There were even attempts by Hart supporters to peel away Mondale delegates. So Cuomo was quite right, just as a matter of etiquette, to not make a Mondale boosting speech. He did make allusion to Geraldine Ferraro, who Hart said he'd also choose as running mate.

Oh thank you for the reply.  I didn't know that the keynote address took place before the delegate vote for the  nominee.  Yes, it makes sense now.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »

Oh thank you for the reply.  I didn't know that the keynote address took place before the delegate vote for the  nominee.  Yes, it makes sense now.

The speech also wouldn't be nearly as timeless as it is had it been loaded with references to Walter Mondale who barely won 1 state, his home state, by 0.18% against Reagan. The omission of Mondale's name makes the speech as applicable to today as it was in 1984.

I would argue that the parts of the speech where Mario Cuomo addresses President Reagan could equally be addressed to Mario's own son Governor Andrew Cuomo, who has governed to the right of Ronald Reagan.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:59 AM »

The speech also wouldn't be nearly as timeless as it is had it been loaded with references to Walter Mondale who barely won 1 state, his home state, by 0.18% against Reagan. The omission of Mondale's name makes the speech as applicable to today as it was in 1984.

I would argue that the parts of the speech where Mario Cuomo addresses President Reagan could equally be addressed to Mario's own son Governor Andrew Cuomo, who has governed to the right of Ronald Reagan.

I considered that, but the foreign policy mentions and the names brought up in that area do clearly date the speech to the mid 1980s.

On the other matter, not being a New Yorker I don't know about Andrew Cuomo but I highly doubt he has governed to the right of Ronald Reagan.  While Reagan's record has been revised some by Democrats (sometimes accurately, other times less so) to show how far to the right the Republicans have moved since Reagan.  Reagan did:

1.Slash social spending to the degree he could get away with with a Democratic House (I'm sure he would have gone much further with a Republican House). Remember: ketchup is a vegetable!

2.Largely ignored the environment and significantly cut back on oversight. Remember: Trees cause pollution.

3.Virtually eliminated oversight on civil rights matters.

4.Significantly cut taxes for the wealthiest (although to be fair imo the top rates were too high at the time).  Cuomo said the Republicans actually themselves called 'supply side' 'trickle down' in the 1920s and 30s, is this true?

5.Appointed the most socially conservative attorney general if not in U.S history then at least in the past many years, the slimy and corrupt Ed Meese.

And of course, in foreign/defense policy, which wouldn't apply to Andrew Cuomo, so I'll put them seperately:
1.Mined the Nicaraguan harbors
2.Supported rebels who killed nuns.
3.Significantly increased an already bloated defense budget.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies