come to think of it,... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:36:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  come to think of it,... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: come to think of it,...  (Read 5826 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: January 02, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »

Considering Bush was up 60-28 in 1999 and up by landslide proportions through much of early to mid 2000 (when the economy was indisputably booming, too), and it wasn't due to Gore's lack of name recognition, I'd say there were factors at work that aren't easily recognizable.

People were tired of Clinton after 7 years and didn't want to endorse his Vice President. Clinton was seen as corrupt because of the Lewinksy affair, and Democrats were seen as a horrible party in general. On the other hand, Bush Sr. seemed like a harmless, moderate President of the past, and his son seemed even more harmless. I think people thought of George Bush Jr. and thought he would be like a gentler, kinder version of Bush Sr. Finally, Bush was also able to take advantage of being the candidate of new ideas, much as John F Kennedy was in 1960.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »

Considering Bush was up 60-28 in 1999 and up by landslide proportions through much of early to mid 2000 (when the economy was indisputably booming, too), and it wasn't due to Gore's lack of name recognition, I'd say there were factors at work that aren't easily recognizable.

While that 60-28 poll was just crazy, Bush did consistantly lead Gore, and would have won both the popular and electoral vote if it hadn't been for the DWI story and some intense campaigning by Gore at the end. He went without sleep for a couple of days and just campaigned through the night in Florida.

Yep. One thing I like about politicians is a hunger for the job.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies