Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)  (Read 38534 times)
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 07, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »

Amazing results from an amazing TL!
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »

Give me a major role for Teddy, RFK or JFK JR

And a Biden Win...

And I’ll be happy
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »

November 7, 1972
Hubert

John smoked a cigar as he read the paper the morning after the election. The New York Times gleamed up at him: “HUMPHREY WINS HISTORIC CLEAN SWEEP.”

1968 had been a repudiation of the liberalism of the Kennedy years, or so went the narrative. If that was the case, then 1972 was an even bigger repudiation of that repudiation. Jack felt vindicated. America had experimented with conservatism, and the experiment had evidently failed. The economy was in a slump. Civil rights abuses against black Americans were rampant in the South, which still hadn’t fully wriggled out of Jim Crow’s iron grip. The safety net was weaker than Jack would like. Nuclear weapons had been used for the first time since 1945. Goldwater had been an unmitigated disaster.

Kennedy hadn’t been entirely happy with his second term, and now he had a sympathetic President-elect ready to finish what he’d started. Jack was overjoyed. He picked up the phone on his desk, and called the incoming President.

Hello Hubert, congratulations on the victory. Very impressive. I’d like to offer my assistance to you however I can. You’ve got some work to do..." "by the way, it is Kennedy"
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »

Yes! Hubert!
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »

Hello Hubert, congratulations on the victory. Very impressive. I’d like to offer my assistance to you however I can. You’ve got some work to do..." "by the way, it is Kennedy"

Chills! I can't wait to see how HHH's term plays out.

ALSO I didn't notice that little post script until even after I posted this. You're a sly one Wink
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »

Update?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »

November 8, 1972
Barry

So it was official now: Barry was on his way out. The President sighed. It’s been a rough four years, he thought.

Barry was looking forward to returning to civilian private life. His family had been stretched by his Presidency, and though his children were all adults, they had gotten (mostly) unwanted attention as well. Barry hoped the press would just leave him, his wife, and his kids alone, unless and until Barry was ready to re-enter public life.

Barry wasn’t happy with what little he’d accomplished. He didn’t have the chance to cut taxes, had gotten America into a war against Communism that it lost miserably, and had lowered the country in the eyes of the world (though that was mostly LeMay’s fault). Sure, he’d streamlined and reduced the size of the federal government a little, but his successor was sure to expand it beyond where it had been in 1969. And he’d likely ruined the GOP’s electoral prospects until at least 1980, with 1976 being a lost cause already, and with 1974 not looking much better.

He did wish Humphrey well, though. He really believed that the President’s success was America’s success, even if he didn’t agree with Humphrey’s policies.

My Presidency has either been a preview for a coming conservative era, Goldwater thought.

Or an anomaly in a progressive century.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »

And thus concludes A Different Path, Chapter 2: Vice, Virtue, and Independence. For the Humphrey Administration (and beyond?), stay tuned for:

A Different Path, Chapter 3:

Out of the Shadow

Coming soon...
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #308 on: October 16, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »

When will this come out?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #309 on: October 16, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »

When I feel like it. I'm still writing. Be patient
WilliamStone1776
Rookie
United States

« Reply #310 on: November 02, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »

I'm so excited for the next installment
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #311 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »

Bump
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: November 15, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »

I'm slowly writing chapter 3 right now. I have through 1973 done, and I'm working on 1974 now. My goal is to finish writing through the 1976 election before I post the first part here. Final projects and tests are coming up soon so my writing time will increase dramatically after that. Expect the first post before the end of the year.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2018, 02:02:25 AM »

I'm slowly writing chapter 3 right now. I have through 1973 done, and I'm working on 1974 now. My goal is to finish writing through the 1976 election before I post the first part here. Final projects and tests are coming up soon so my writing time will increase dramatically after that. Expect the first post before the end of the year.

Thanx.
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »

When is the next chapter coming.  I love this story
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »

When is the next chapter coming.  I love this story
It's been out.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #316 on: April 09, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2019, 03:49:14 PM by LoneStarDem »

December 7, 1967
BREAKING: LBJ JUMPS INTO 1968 DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY, ADDING A MORE MODERATE SOUTHERN OPTION

DALLAS, TX - Texas Governor Lyndon B. Johnson, after years of speculation, has officially announced that he will seek the Democratic nomination for President. The former Vice President, once disgraced and dropped off the 1964 ticket, has become something of a political phoenix, rising from the ashes of his tax evasion trial to beat an incumbent Democratic governor in 1966 by a razor-thin margin.

Now, Governor Johnson is trying for the office he has wanted since he was a boy: the Presidency. In a speech given outside the Johnson family ranch, the Governor stated that he was “horrified” by the “bland, inexperienced Vice President; the radically liberal Senator McGovern, and the downright racist Governor Wallace.” He then pitched himself as the pragmatic alternative to the three: pro-civil-rights, unlike Governor Wallace; more connected and experienced than Vice President Udall; and more conservative than Senator McGovern (while still being fairly progressive). He also touted his own “Texas grit” as a merit only he possessed, and in that he may be right.

Governor Johnson is a polarizing figure in American politics; the trial that, in the governor’s words, “vindicated” him is seen by much of the public as having come to the wrong conclusion. Nonetheless, he is still a fairly popular figure among Democrats (70% of party members approved of him in a recent Gallup poll, while only 40% of all voters did), and will certainly be a formidable foe for the other Democratic candidates in the race, especially as Mr. Johnson is a masterful delegate-wrangler.

How did LBJ become Governor ? I wonder how Dolph Briscoe would've reacted to that ?

I noticed that when LBJ died, I'm assuming then-Lieutenant Governor Preston Smith (D) served as Governor until Connally was sworn into office for his 3rd term on January 21st, 1969 ?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies