How do these religious conversion categories vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do these religious conversion categories vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do these religious conversion categories vote?  (Read 1189 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »

DC Al Fine posted this updated info on conversion in the US.

Catholic->None
Evangelical->None
Mainline->None
Always None

Catholic->Evangelical
Mainline->Evangelical
None->Evangelical
Always Evangelical

Evangelical->Catholic
Mainline->Catholic
None->Catholic
Always Catholic

Evangelical->Mainline
Catholic->Mainline
None->Mainline
Always Mainline

I'm guessing that the most D would probably be Mainline->None, while the most R would be Evangelical->Catholic. All the None categories would be D (ranked from most to least I'd say: raised Mainline, raised Catholic, always None, raised Evangelical), all the converts to Catholic would be R, always Catholic swing, all evangelical categories obviously R (not sure of the least R, maybe Mainline-Evangelical?) and the Mainline categories would have former evangelicals R, former Catholics swing, and former nones and always Mainline lean D.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »

I would think you have it backwards on the Evangelical<--->Catholic group.  I would guess Evangelicals raised Catholic are more GOP than Catholics raised Evangelical.  Though lifelong Evangelicals may be the most GOP.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »

DC Al Fine posted this updated info on conversion in the US.

Catholic->None
Evangelical->None
Mainline->None
Always None

Catholic->Evangelical
Mainline->Evangelical
None->Evangelical
Always Evangelical

Evangelical->Catholic
Mainline->Catholic
None->Catholic
Always Catholic

Evangelical->Mainline
Catholic->Mainline
None->Mainline
Always Mainline

I'm guessing that the most D would probably be Mainline->None, while the most R would be Evangelical->Catholic. All the None categories would be D (ranked from most to least I'd say: raised Mainline, raised Catholic, always None, raised Evangelical), all the converts to Catholic would be R, always Catholic swing, all evangelical categories obviously R (not sure of the least R, maybe Mainline-Evangelical?) and the Mainline categories would have former evangelicals R, former Catholics swing, and former nones and always Mainline lean D.

I don't think converts to Catholicism would be a solidly R group. Maybe R leaning swings on average, but definitely not reliably R.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:42:50 PM »

Converts to Catholicism tend to be a type of intellectual conservative, and very socially conservative.

I would think you have it backwards on the Evangelical<--->Catholic group.  I would guess Evangelicals raised Catholic are more GOP than Catholics raised Evangelical.  Though lifelong Evangelicals may be the most GOP.

See above. Catholic to evangelical though includes a lot of emergents and not all that political but open to voting D megachurch types.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

Why would mainline->none be more Democratic than the other currently none categories, esp. always none?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2018, 08:37:29 AM by Peanut »

I would think  evangelical->none would be the most D, and anything->evangelical the most R.
I know some Catholic converts, and they're pretty liberal though that probably isn't true for most.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »

Catholic->None
Evangelical->None
Mainline->None
Always None
All solid D, not much difference between groups (including between converts and non-converts).

Catholic->Evangelical
Mainline->Evangelical
None->Evangelical
Always Evangelical
All solid R, with all converts even more R than non-converts but not much difference between different types of converts.

Evangelical->Catholic lean D
Mainline->Catholic lean R
None->Catholic likely R
Always Catholic even

Evangelical->Mainline lean D
Catholic->Mainline lean R
None->Mainline lean R
Always Mainline even
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »

Converts to Catholicism tend to be a type of intellectual conservative, and very socially conservative.

I would think you have it backwards on the Evangelical<--->Catholic group.  I would guess Evangelicals raised Catholic are more GOP than Catholics raised Evangelical.  Though lifelong Evangelicals may be the most GOP.

See above. Catholic to evangelical though includes a lot of emergents and not all that political but open to voting D megachurch types.

No. Most converts to Catholicism married a Catholic and couldn't give two sh**ts about theology. Most converts to Evangelical groups, on the other hand...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2018, 11:02:25 PM by Party Like It's 2006 »

No. Most converts to Catholicism married a Catholic and couldn't give two sh**ts about theology. Most converts to Evangelical groups, on the other hand...

Seeing as how difficult it is to convert to Catholicism and as its not necessary to marry a Catholic I really doubt that.

Most converts to evangelical are not Southern Baptists but non denominationals and lots if emergent types. Quite a different group from raised evangelical.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »

I would think you have it backwards on the Evangelical<--->Catholic group.  I would guess Evangelicals raised Catholic are more GOP than Catholics raised Evangelical.  Though lifelong Evangelicals may be the most GOP.

Seeing as how difficult it is to convert to Catholicism and as its not necessary to marry a Catholic I really doubt that.

Most converts to evangelical are not Southern Baptists but non denominationals and lots if emergent types. Quite a different group from raised evangelical.

Define "necessary". You haven't met very many Irish or Italian Catholic families and heard their views on appropriate children-in-law, have you? In-law pressure is by far and away the number one reason people convert to Catholicism (and Judaism, Orthodoxy and probably some mainline Protestant groups also).

I know you have an agenda to advance here, but that doesn't mean your "factual statements" are any less absurd.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »

Why would mainline->none be more Democratic than the other currently none categories, esp. always none?

I could maybe see always none people marginally less left wing, due to never actally a religion to "rebel" against. Though that's just a complete guess, from someone who falls under that demographic and isn't really a lefty. Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

Define "necessary". You haven't met very many Irish or Italian Catholic families and heard their views on appropriate children-in-law, have you? In-law pressure is by far and away the number one reason people convert to Catholicism (and Judaism, Orthodoxy and probably some mainline Protestant groups also).

I know you have an agenda to advance here, but that doesn't mean your "factual statements" are any less absurd.

"Necessary" in that it's required. It's not by the Church's rules.

Look at the low conversion rate to Catholicism in that chart. It's not surprising since converting to Catholicism is quite a bit of work, unlike converting to the other groups, but it does clearly show that clearly not everyone non-Catholic who marries one converts. Anecdotally I don't know of a single person who married a Catholic and converted, although I do know of multiple cases of the Catholic converting the other way...(and no these are not just my hipster Christian friends, I'm talking about close family members too.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies