OH-Club for Growth (R): Mandel with big lead...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Club for Growth (R): Mandel with big lead...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH-Club for Growth (R): Mandel with big lead...  (Read 1566 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »

...in the GOP primary. Wink

60% Josh Mandel (R)
12% Pat Tiberi (R)

62% Josh Mandel (R)
8% Matt Huffman (R)

Mandel favorability: 59/7 (+52)

The poll is the first public survey in the Ohio GOP primary race for the Senate seat, currently held by Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown. Live interviewers called 600 self-identified likely GOP primary voters on Dec. 11-12. Excerpts of the poll were provided exclusively to cleveland.com. (Scroll down to read the excerpts in their entirety.)

Only Mandel officially has declared his candidacy for the seat. However, Tiberi, an ally of Ohio Gov. John Kasich, for months has been working behind the scenes toward a Senate run, and Huffman, who was elected to the Ohio Senate in November, is considering his own bid.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/12/early_poll_shows_josh_mandel_w.html
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:35:04 PM »

You beat me to posting this, my friend. Wink

Hopefully there's no primary showdown. If Huffman wants to go to Washington he should primary Jim Jordan.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »

If I were a Republican, I'd probably be hoping for someone else to get in the race. Rematches have generally not worked out so well for the loser, in recent cases.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:01 AM »

If I were a Republican, I'd probably be hoping for someone else to get in the race. Rematches have generally not worked out so well for the loser, in recent cases.

Yeah, this poll is probably good news for Democrats, except there might be better candidates than Huffman and Tiberi.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »

Can anyone say Name Recognition?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »

Hopefully there's no primary showdown. If Huffman wants to go to Washington he should primary Jim Jordan.
Jim Jordan would never lose.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

Ohio is set to lose a seat next Census. I think his should be dismantled.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »

Jordan's district is some BS, as Lorain County should definitely not be split between three members of Congress. But on topic: Huffman, whoever he is, would get creamed by Mandel. Tiberi may be hurting for want of name recognition, but the OH GOP is in for some ugliness. This primary looks like it's going to turn into a proxy battle between Kasich and Trump. Kasich and his brand are obviously popular here, but Trump did better than expected in the general. (Winning Ohio was pretty much a given, but I was personally expecting by no more than 5.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »

Jordan has a reputation for being a Ted Cruz-level prick, is a weak campaigner, and has never had the best relationship with the faction currently controlling the state Republican party.  He'd be favored, but Huffman could potentially pull it off, especially in an anti-Trump political climate.  I doubt he runs against Jordan though.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »

Jordan has a reputation for being a Ted Cruz-level prick, is a weak campaigner, and has never had the best relationship with the faction currently controlling the state Republican party.  He'd be favored, but Huffman could potentially pull it off, especially in an anti-Trump political climate.  I doubt he runs against Jordan though.

I agree with this to some degree, but counterpoint: He did get Warren elected in the 8th to replace Boehner. It looks like he is building better team-cred.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »

I love Mandel but am not sure if he's the right candidate for the GOP. Gives me a Murphy impression tbh.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »

I love Mandel but am not sure if he's the right candidate for the GOP. Gives me a Murphy impression tbh.

he had his murphy moment in 2012. he'll break out this time! Smiley
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 02:18:37 PM »

The Club for Growth is biased towards the Tea Party...

I would have thought you would prefer Tiberi to Mandel.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

The Club for Growth is biased towards the Tea Party...

I would have thought you would prefer Tiberi to Mandel.

I'm actually not a fan of Tiberi due to some differences on economic issues but I'd support either in the general, obviously. A big part of why I am backing Mandel is to stick it to Kasich for being such a twit this year on almost everything.

Rjjr77
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »

Tiberi has seen the writing on the wall before this and probably won't run. Donald trump winning the election may have made him Ohio's biggest loser as he was a loud not trump republican and a Kasich ally. Considering Kasich is a dead republican walking at this phase it's bad for Tiberius.

Sen. Matt Huffman could be an intriguing candidate, well liked among money circles, conservative, and without the baggage of Mandel.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

I thought that Mandel lost by a lot more in 2012, but I just looked it up and it was still moderately close.  I guess I'm ok with him again.  It really all hinges on Trump anyway.  If he's a disaster (likely), Mandel is screwed.  If he's about even nationally, Brown will go down.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

Timken's ousting of Borges w/in the OH GOP could well mean the Republican primary goes uncontested.
Rjjr77
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »

The Timken factor could make all the statewide GOP primaries a bit different
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »

Timken's ousting of Borges w/in the OH GOP could well mean the Republican primary goes uncontested.

Maybe, but it'll also probably mean a weaker Republican ticket and certainly will mean a weaker state party.  At the least, there'll be a contested gubernatorial primary.
Rjjr77
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »

Maybe, but it'll also probably mean a weaker Republican ticket and certainly will mean a weaker state party.  At the least, there'll be a contested gubernatorial primary.

I don't think Timken means a weaker party at all. She's a bundler with big money connections. She'll increase party funding by herself. considering that many republicans felt that trump (and his coat tails) won Ohio inspite of Borges I don't think they will see much drop. The bench is deep in Ohio for republicans, they'll have a lot of money, I don't think Timken weakens the party at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies