A New Day: 2004 And On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New Day: 2004 And On
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Who Should Win The Election?
Barack Obama
Jon Huntsman
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A New Day: 2004 And On  (Read 16125 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:01 AM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

I'd have thought Romney wins Utah and Idaho.
^^^

I think this is a bit unrealistic, but still a very good read. Keep it up! Smiley
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

My mistake, fixed it
I think this is a bit unrealistic, but still a very good read. Keep it up! Smiley
I did say we were jumping the shark a little here.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »

My mistake, fixed it
Well, it's your timeline.
And an interesting one it is.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

My mistake, fixed it
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's great. Smiley It'd be too boring if you made it generic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »

Aw. Sad Presidential candidate Cheney would've been awesome.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »

Not for Republicans, especially libertarian ones like us.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

In the words of my political hero, Emperor Palpatine "you assume much" (or at least I think he said that)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

In the words of my political hero, Emperor Palpatine "you assume much" (or at least I think he said that)

He said this Wink.  Palpatine / Lieberman would be a dynamo ticket, any year, any dimension Cheesy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

He said this Wink.  Palpatine / Lieberman would be a dynamo ticket, any year, any dimension Cheesy.

Usually a ticket needs a second person.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 09:42:08 PM by Clinton1996 "You Know You Miss Your Daddy" »

Dean Wins Landslide Re-Election. Trumps Romney, Huckabee. Largest Electoral Victory Since Reagan-Mondale 1984.

Dean-Warner: 503
Romney-Ensign: 20
Huckabee-Barr: 15
"In a wideley expected landslide, President Dean was re-elected with the highest electoral vote tally of any candidate since 1984. This is the third largest electoral victory in US History, and the best that a Democratic candidate has ever done in our nation's history. Only Presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon have done as well. But Republicans have solace in knowing that they will increase their House majorities. The Senate shows no net change. The President shall continue with a divided Congress, something he seems good at and has shown him no trouble. Now lets look at 2012. Both parties have a great field, that is, unless Vice-President Warner runs. This is the Democrats' chance to keep the White House for 16 years."- Chris Matthews

Incoming Speaker of The House of Representatives
Democrats: -9, 205
Republicans: +9, 228
Incoming Majority Leader- Roy Blunt (R) Missouri
Incoming Minority Leader- Xavier Becerra (D) California

Potential 2012 Republican Presidential Candidates
Florida Governor Joe Scarborough

North Dakota Senator John Thune

Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels

Utah Governor John Huntsman

Virginia Congressman Eric Cantor

Texas Governor Rick Perry

Potential 2012 Democratic Presidential Candidates
Vice-President Mark Warner

Illinois Senator Barack Obama

House Minority Leader Xavier Becerra

North Carolina Senator John Edwards

Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley

President Dean was popular. But no Democrat had served more than 8 years consecutively in the White House since 1952 with Presidents Roosevelt and Truman. The GOP had its best crop of candidates in decades, and they were itching for a change. 2012, was anybody's race.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »

I like this TL, but you kinda killed it just now.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »

Chatter about the potential candidates continued to increase as Spring 2011 crept on. But no one would announce. In June, that would change. The most likely Democratic Nominee announced, and was expected to clear the field.
"For the past eight years, America has experienced great economic growth. Democratic fiscal and economic policy has brought our economy back from the brink. Democratic foreign policy has brought our troops home from overseas. The middle class is back. Manufacturing is growing for the first time since 1998. America is well respected abroad, and is leading the world again. But we've come too far to turn back now. We can't give the helm back to the people who pushed us over the edge. Our administration has been successful. And I say to you America, stay the course. So it is with great joy, that I announce my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States."- Vice President Mark Warner
The Race For The White House 2012 had officially begun.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »

That is a crazy map. I echo J.R.'s sentiments. Did Dean win a majority of the popular vote?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »

That is a crazy map. I echo J.R.'s sentiments. Did Dean win a majority of the popular vote?
The popular vote went a lot like in 1968 and 1992. Dean did not get a majority. Romney got a lot of support in the Great Plains and Northeast, where Huckabee was pretty weak. Huckabee sapped a lot of Romney's southern support, but they managed to keep Dean under 40 percent in states like Texas, Mississipi, West Virginia, North and South Dakota, Alaska, South Carolina, Louisiana, Kansas and Nebraska. Dean was kept under 50 in a lot of other states too. This leads to a closer popular vote reminiscent of a mix of 1968 & 1992.

Dean-Warner 45.3
Romny-Ensign 40.6
Huckabee-Barr 14.1
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

"America needs a change. We need an adult conversation about our future. Over the past 8 years, the federal government has grown at the fastest rate since World War II. We have had the most regulated economy 1929. We need smaller government, and we need new leadership."- Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman

"Over the past eight years we have seen massive oversteps of federal power. We have seen the largest tax increases in the history of this great nation. America is weaker at home, and disrespected abroad. Howard Dean bows to foreign leaders and apologizes for America. I promise you, if you have my back in Iowa, then I'll have your back in Washington!"- Texas Governor Rick Perry

"America's basic values are at stake this election. We are on the wrong path, an unsustainable path. But we can change course. We have a choice to make. Between basic American conservative principles, and more government."- Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum

"We as a country need to invest in what has made this country so great over the past three centuries. Education. We need to educate a new generation of American innovators. In the emmerging powers of China and Indiana, investment in the future is a top concern. And it will be ours. We are Americans. We do what is hard. We achieve what is great. If we don't invest in the children of America, then we lose our grip on our next American Century."- Secretary of Education & Fmr. Florida Governor Jeb Bush

2012 Republican Presidential Primary Candidates
Senator John Thune
Governor Rick Perry
Senator Rick Santorum
Governor Jon Huntsman
Secretary of Education Jeb Bush
Senator Rand Paul
Businessman Herman Cain

"We got a race. I think the Republicans are learning from their mistakes in 2008. This looks to be a pretty formidable field of candidates. By no means moderates, but some that independents and voters could identify with. James what do you think?- Wolf Blitzer

"I agree Wolf. The GOP may have one of the strongest fields in a long time. Yes they're all conservative. But they most of them are sensible conservatives, a breed that I'd thought had all but died out. We may be in for a race next year."- James Carville
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

Awesome stuff man.  What are Rand and Ron Paul up to?  And also, Jeb 2012 Wink
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »

Awesome stuff man.  What are Rand and Ron Paul up to?  And also, Jeb 2012 Wink
Congressman Paul becomes Chairman of the House Financial Services Comittee in the 2010 midterms. Unlikely yeah, but i love Dr. Paul and feel the GOP wronged him at the RNC and in the primaries. Rand Paul still wins the Senate Seat in Kentucky in 2010, narrowly against Jack Conway as in real life.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »

Though the Republican side was set, the Democratic bench was still taking shape. Unlike in 2000, the incumbent Vice President Warner does not have the field clearing power that was widely expected. Only two other candidates entered the fray, and they represented the youth and carisma of the party.

"Today, there are two Americas, not one: One America that does the work, another that reaps the reward. One America that pays the taxes, another America that gets the tax breaks. One America - middle-class America - whose needs Washington has long forgotten, another America - narrow-interest America - whose every wish is Washington's command. One America that is struggling to get by, another America that can buy anything it wants, even a Congress and a president. President Dean has done his best to close the gap and promote the middle class working Americans that built this country. But we need to continue his work. We can't give GOO another chance to drown the working man. So today, as a proud son of North Carolina, I am announcing my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States."- Gov. John Edwards

"That is why this campaign can't only be about me. It must be about us -- it must be about what we can do together. This campaign must be the occasion, the vehicle, of your hopes, and your dreams. It will take your time, your energy, and your advice -- to push us forward when we're doing right, and to let us know when we're not. This campaign has to be about reclaiming the meaning of citizenship, restoring our sense of common purpose, and realizing that few obstacles can withstand the power of millions of voices calling for change. By ourselves, this change will not happen. Divided, we are bound to fail. But the life of a tall, gangly, self-made Springfield lawyer tells us that a different future is possible. He tells us that there is power in words. He tells us that there is power in conviction. That beneath all the differences of race and region, faith and station, we are one people. He tells us that there is power in hope."- Sen. Barack Obama

2012 Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates
Vice-President Mark Warner
Senator Barack Obama
Governor John Edwards

Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »

Lets skip forward a few months in the campaign season. What we see on both sides is a fluent and extremely competitive race.......

The 2012 Iowa Caucuses

"With 93% of the vote in on the GOP side, I think we can make a call. Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum narrowly edges North Dakota Senator John Thune tonight in the Iowa Caucuses, thirty to twenty-seven percent. The conservative firebrand became what we in the media like to call a sleeper candidate, camping out in the state and visiting all 99 counties in Iowa, twice."- Wolf Blitzer

"My grandfather taught me basic things that my dad taught me over and over again: Work hard, work hard, and work hard. And I think about that today. There are so many men and women right now who would love to work hard, but they don’t have the opportunity. And we have two parties who are out talking about how they’re going to solve those problems. One wants to talk about raising taxes on people who have been successful and redistributing money, increasing dependency in this country, promoting more Medicare and food stamps and all sorts of social welfare programs, and passing Obamacare to provide even more government subsidies, more and more dependency, more and more government, exactly what my grandfather left in 1925. And then there’s another vision, with another vision, the Republican vision, which is, let’s just cut taxes, let’s just reduce spending and everyone will be fine."- Sen. Rick Santorum

2012 GOP Iowa Caucuses
Rick Santorum- 30%
John Thune- 27%
Rick Perry- 16%
Rand Paul-14%
Jeb Bush-9%
Jon Huntsman- 3%
Herman Cain- 1%

"David, how do you handicap the race on right now? I say Cain drops out and so does Thune."- Anderson Cooper

"Rick Santorum got what he needed tonight, a win. This could give him the momentum going forward. But Paul, Thune, and he are really the only ones that contested the state. Paul, like his father, is on the hunt for delegates, he'll stick it out to the end. Governor Perry got a very respectable 3rd place showing, but his campaign is focusing on Florida and South Carolina, along with Secretary Bush. Governor Huntsman is in New Hampshire, where he has developed a pretty solid lead. I expect Herman Cain to drop out, and I don't see a path forward for him. He needed Iowa to give him the momentum going into South Carolina. He'll probably re-evaluate his campaign after New Hampshire."- David Gergan

"And I'm just getting word that Herman Cain is dropping out and endorsing Santorum. Even with his weak showing here, Cain was polling pretty well into the mid double digits in South Carolina. The Thune Campaign says they're staying in til New Hampshire but that the beat expectations in Iowa. We can also call the Iowa Caucuses on the Democratic side for........."- John King
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 06:43:20 PM »

It'd be ironic, given the Bushs' past, if Jeb were to suddenly win support in New Hampshire.... Wink Guessing though that Rand Paul and Jon Huntsman will benefit from the state, though it appears they're in the lower tier of candidates (but in RL, Huntsman did abandon Iowa for New Hampshire, so who knows?).
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 08:54:51 PM by I'm An Election Junkie »

"......Senator Obama. Yes, for the first time in history, an African-American shall win the Iowa Caucus. He bests Governor Edwards by a whopping 8 points and Vice-President Warner comes in third place. This buoys The Senator's chances at the nomination and all but kills the Vice-President's. Chris, what do you think?"- Rachel Maddow
"It's over for Warner. I don't know how he can recover from this showing. He'd have to really best Obama in New Hampshire, where he's tied with him at best, if he wants a chance at winning this."- Chris Matthews
"We go now to the Senator's victory speech in Cedar Rapids."- Rachel Maddow

"Thank you, Iowa. You know, they said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come together around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do. You have done what the state of New Hampshire can do in five days. You have done what America can do in this new year, 2008."- Senator Barack Obama

"Vice-President Warner has released a statement. "We are staying in this race. We're going to be the nominee. So tell New Hampshire to get ready".- Lawrence O'Donnell
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »

Please don't let it be Edwards...
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 09:42:15 PM by I'm An Election Junkie »

ITTL Edwards admits to the affair in 2007, it hurts him a bit, but he is able to overcome a lot of it in the primaries. In the General though, not so much.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2013, 02:44:19 AM by Carter4Senate »

Jon Huntsman
Rick Perry
Rick Santorum
Rand Paul
John Thune
Jeb Bush
Herman Cain
The Republican Nomination would be wrapped up soon, after a convincing win in New Hampshire by Governor Jon Huntsman. Jeb Bush would fare badly in New Hampshire and South Carolina would be won by Governor Rick Perry. By the time he'd made it to Florida, his fundraising had dried up. He would endorse Jon Huntsman, who would win a sound victory there over Bush and Santorum. In February, Paul would endorse Huntsman and drop put to run for re-election to the Senate. After Super Tuesday, Santorum would drop out, but refused to make an endorsement. And after seeing no path forward, Rick Perry would drop out an endorse Huntsman for the nomination on April 5th. To show a unified and organized party, Huntsman would pick Perry as his running-mate and the General Eldction began. This, stood in stark contrast to the Democrats, who were still locked in a 3-way race for the nod.

Huntsman/Perry 245
Generic Democrat 178
Toss-Up 115

Governor Huntsman's crossover appeal among Independents and Democrats gave him huge leads in the polls, and the disarray of the Democrats further contributed to it.
Head-To-Heads
W/ Generic Democrat

Huntsman/Perry: 49%
Generic Democrat: 39%
Undecided: 12%

W/ John Edwards

Huntsman/Perry: 54%
John Edwards: 38%
Undecided: 8%

W/ Mark Warner

Huntsman/Perry: 50%
Mark Warner: 43%
Undecided: 7%

W/ Barack Obama

Huntsman/Perry: 51%
Barack Obama: 41%
Undecided: 9%
As the Democratic Convention in Denver approached, the party was without a nominee. After a strong showing in New Hampshire and South Carolina, Vice-President Warner proved able to compete in the race. But Senator Obama surprised many with his coalition of college & minority supporters and come-from-behind wins. Edwards would fade, but stayed in the race hoping a brokered convention could hand him the nomination. Warner led in the delegate totals by 83, followed by Obama and with Edwards in a distant third. In the Washington, party leaders worried if they had a candidate that could actually beat Huntsman. To ease concerns, President Dean called a summit of the Democratic Leadership at the White House, including the candidates.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies