'Department of Peace' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  'Department of Peace' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of it?
Good idea

Bad idea

Other -please elaborate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: 'Department of Peace'  (Read 3178 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« on: February 04, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »

why not just rename 'Defense' into 'War' like it used to be.

Think of how great more taxpayer dollars, increased bureaucracy and red tape would be if we had this department.  What would be good however is if we enacted the Peace Amendment:
http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/PeaceAmendment.htm
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »

Think of how great more taxpayer dollars, increased bureaucracy and red tape would be if we had this department.  What would be good however is if we enacted the Peace Amendment:

Thats a bit too isolationist for my taste.  Also, the section dealing with congressional eligibility to vote on a declaration of war seems a bit absurd. 

Quote from Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution:
Section 8 - Powers of Congress
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

uhm, the Constitution is absurd?  No, the reason it's the legislative branch's power is because the framers didn't want one person (President) making the choice of whether this country goes to war or not.  The War Powers Act-that's absurd.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »

Thats a bit too isolationist for my taste.  Also, the section dealing with congressional eligibility to vote on a declaration of war seems a bit absurd. 

Quote from Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution:
Section 8 - Powers of Congress
To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

uhm, the Constitution is absurd?  No, the reason it's the legislative branch's power is because the framers didn't want one person (President) making the choice of whether this country goes to war or not.  The War Powers Act-that's absurd.

Both of my comments were in response to your proposed Peace Amendment, NOT the Constitution.

Section 2 of the Peace Amendment:
 Section 2. The members of the House of Representatives and the Senate eligible to vote on a declaration of war are those who are between the ages of 18 and 35, or who have children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren between those ages.

In fact, that is a direct affront to the section of the Constitution that you yourself just quoted.  This Peace Amendment would restrict the ability of certain members of Congress (and by proxy, American citizens) to declare war.

Why were you so quick to assume this was an attack on the Constitution?  Not once did I actually mention that document and I thought I made it clear that my problems were with Mr. Browne's proposed amendment by quoting your reference to it.

Well, I think Section 2 is wishful thinking-ultimately those congresspeople who have children should have more to think about, but hell most of the rest of it's alright-and it's way better than a "Department of Peace"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies