Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:52:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)  (Read 142501 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2018, 07:08:10 PM »

What is this about?
Looks like spin. I’m very conflicted because Abrams doesn’t strike me as someone who would let her supporters linger in delusion days after the election. I just can’t imagine there are votes out there that we don’t know about and they do.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »

Any updates on GA-7? Does Bourdeaux still have a shot or is it hopeless?

Unless there have been more provisional ballots affected by recent rulings than I'm aware of, I don't see her getting closer than 300 votes or so.
I think they still are counting those absentee ballots that were rejected. They are counting them Thursday.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/gwinnett-getting-ready-count-provisional-ballots/doLeXVB1mQjmwDMLxFXbBL/
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »

I wonder who will run in 2022. I’m all for an Abrams-Kemp rematch but who knows where she’ll be in four years. She’s destined for great things in or out of politics.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »

And I've made mention of it already a few days ago, but given the top line turnout estimates and exit polling we've seen thus far, I remain highly skeptical that the increased Democratic campaign efforts had any statistically significant positive effect on this year's outcome. In other words, this latest improvement may just be organic gains (or even a downright under-performance).

Even if Abrams et al mobilized Democratic voters above and beyond what would have happened, they couldn't manage to do it in a way that didn't proportionally stir up GOP voters as well (or else we wouldn't have had 3.95 million votes cast, compared to 4.1 million in the presidential). I guess we'll see in a few weeks when detailed turnout data is available.

And Georgia hasn't even been touched yet by legitimate Democratic investment in presidential campaigns, which always leave a lasting impact on voter registration, turnout and participation in general.
Huh? Abrams is going to end up with the most votes for a Democrat in the state’s history. That didn’t happen on its own. There are several metro counties that she got more votes than Hillary and Kemp got less votes than Trump. That was organizing and door knocking. I do agree that her candidacy riled up the other side.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the potential of a lawsuit but if she feels there were legitimate attempts to suppress votes/voters, is she supposed to lay down and take it so fragile people don't have to be confronted with the fact that unfair elections are held in the supposed freest country on Earth?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »

The end.
Good, now we just need Gillum and Nelson to stop throwing temper tantrums and concede as well
Asking for every vote to be counted is not a temper tantrum. If Scott and DeSantis won it will be clear soon enough.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »

The end.
Good, now we just need Gillum and Nelson to stop throwing temper tantrums and concede as well
Asking for every vote to be counted is not a temper tantrum. If Scott and DeSantis won it will be clear soon enough.
That's bs and everyone knows it. All the votes have been counted and recounted, and now we're having yet another recount
If it was reversed you’d be encouraging Republicans to fight and do the same thing. So I don’t even want to hear it. They won and will be certified the winner at some point. Calm down.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »

I’m just glad the love fest around here can finally end.
Why does people liking a candidate bother you?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2018, 09:05:18 PM »

I'm going to be blunt here and call out all these Republicans ITT whining about "optics", "temper tantrums", "entitlement" and "graceless moves". Your faux outrage is nothing more than hypocritical histrionics. You are embarrassing yourselves; don't be surprised when everyone stops taking you seriously.

For at least two decades the go-to Republican strategy in close/contested elections has been this:

If the Republican has a narrow lead:
1. attack the Democrat as a sore loser
2. demand the "result of the election is respected"
3. attempt to suppress/interrupt the remaining vote count
4. demand absolute adherence to insanely strict deadlines to abrogate the democratic contest
5. when courts step in to ensure all votes are counted, attack them as liberal "activists"
6. push propaganda that delegitimizes the democratic process; character assassination on Democrat

if the Democrat has a narrow lead:
1. refuse to concede under any circumstances
2. attempt to abuse the judiciary to overturn the will of the electorate
3. Yell loudly about fraud even when there is no evidence of it
4. dig your heels in for months to prevent the Democratic winner from timely taking office
5. attempt to commit blatant fraud if possible (most obvious example here is AL 2002)
6. make up lies to delegitimize the Democrat ("Christine Gregoire "found" a box of ballots in her trunk")

I have no doubt that every single one of you attacking Stacey Abrams have also been defending Bruce Poliquin in Maine as he demands to change the entire electoral system so he can "win"

This election was full of extremely suspicious irregularities from the very start and a heavy dose of skepticism should be applied to literally anything Brian Kemp has said either as a candidate or as the Secretary of State, especially because he didn't even pretend to respect the boundaries between those two roles. He repeatedly abused his role as the putatively "neutral" arbiter/administrator of the electoral process to fraudulently push the election in his own favor, going as far as to fabricate claims of "democratic hacker investigations" and suppress the minority vote for spurious reasons.

For our democratic process to have even the faintest trace of legitimacy, it is absolutely essential for the judicial system to thoroughly examine every questionable element of this election. Stacey Abrams is a bona fide Profile in Courage here: taking an unpopular stand to ensure the ideals of our republic are respected and every vote is fairly counted. If you think she's doing this for selfish reasons or a sense of entitlement then you fundamentally misunderstand who Stacey Abrams is as a person. She knows she's facing a wall of institutionalized Republican corruption designed to keep itself in power at all costs. She knows the hyperactive and highly funded right wing propaganda machine will dedicate every moment of this process to a character assassination that will ruin any future she could have otherwise had in statewide politics. If she was acting out of self interest she would have dropped out fairly quickly. She's making a principled stand here, to shine a light on the pitiful excuse for a democracy that exists in our state.

Besides it's not like there's any rush for her to step out of the race so the complaints about how she's "stalling" or whatever don't even make sense. Nathan Deal is still governor until the second week of January. Any potential runoff election isn't until December and realistically they'd easily be able to hold the election with a just a few days' prep time. Hell, worst case scenario, it'd be trivial for a court to delay the gubernatorial runoff so it occurs on the allocated date for federal office runoffs.
Bless you. If Abrams had overcome Kemp's voter suppression (helped by the state legislature at every turn) and won with just enough to escape a runoff, the GOP would have been turning over every rock for every vote and accusing Abrams and "Atlanta liberals" of stuffing the ballot box. They're full of it and I am actually damn proud Abrams didn't officially concede. The election was a sham and it's no surprise that most of the nefarious actions came from counties that are becoming blue but still have election offices teeming with hyper-partisan Republicans.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2018, 11:42:18 PM »

The only reason he avoided a runoff is through massive voter suppression.
That poster prefers to be willfully ignorant about the calculated actions of the GOP to keep “unfavorables” from voting. Don’t even bother with her.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »

People who had a right to vote were prevented from voting. I don't give a flying f**k if it's technically "legal" Smiley Smiley Smiley or not (guess what, dipsh*ts, slavery and Jim Crow were also "legal") - it is and always will be illegitimate.
He had 300,000 people wrongfully removed claiming they moved when they didn’t. When his “exact match” policy was ruled as being discriminatory the state legislature just rammed it through and made it law. Like you said, just because something is “the law” doesn’t make it right. But according to that poster we should remain “civil” because they used formal procedure to take incivil actions against us.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

I love how moderate Smiley Smiley Smiley pragmatists Smiley Smiley Smiley tell people how to react to oppression and suppression while they remain silent against the very same systems.

“Be quiet and patient while I do nothing Smiley Smiley Smiley

I also find it odd that a self proclaimed woman of color would rejoice that the only candidate discussing Georgia’s third world maternal mortality rates lost to a candidate that trafficks in bigotry and literally had twelve black people arrested for registering people to vote.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »

The 2020 nominee needs to invest heavily in field in GA. The swings in Metro Atlanta were massive and a black woman Democrat lost by 55k votes in a midterm while her opponent had his thumbs on the scale.

An Abrams 2020 Senate run would be icing on the cake but idk if she wants to continue to do the legislative thing. She wants to be in executive office.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »

Are those on Twitter?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »

WTH GA-2? Did rural blacks have low turnout? UGHHHHH
Yeah. I meant to ask Griff this right after the election, do we just need to write counties like Baker, Early, Mitchell, Marion, Chattahoochee, etc off as potential Dem counties? Hillary lost them... but she was Hillary. Abrams went out of her way to show Southwest GA attention.  Are the black voters/Democrats up in the Metro Atlanta area/Macon/Columbus now?

She even lost Wilkinson, Twiggs, Washington, and Burke and barely held on in Baldwin and she focused on that area heavily during her bus tours in the primary and general.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

Georgia is going to become very polarized in voting patterns but this time to the Democratic side.
Can't wait. I'm ready for the GOP to start losing 52-48 heartbreakers over and over again. Cry
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »

Anyone want to make me feel better? I don’t even live in Georgia, but this one hurts me. Even worse, it scares me. I really liked Stacey Abrams and I have no doubt she was robbed, but Kemp actually scares me. Nathan Deal was bad, but he still put the good of the state above regressive social policy for the most part. It’s basically Trump, except very socially conservative, isn’t it?
He barely got over 50 percent. He doesn’t strike me as someone who will get more popular especially if he pursues some of these policies he’s floating like permitless gun carry and the most restrictive abortion laws in the country. And Georgia is pretty immune to national environments and pretty inelastic so put a strong candidate with a nice turnout operation against him and he can’t rely on a potential Democratic President in office to save him in 2022.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2018, 07:57:41 PM by RFKFan68 »

I knew this would happen. As has been mentioned Democratic voters in GA are terrible at turning out a second time. I only had faith in a runoff if Abrams was on the ballot but SOS race is just not high stakes enough to drive Abrams supporters out a second time, and John Barrow has been virtually silent on voter suppression since Abrams gave her speech acknowledging Kemp’s victory. They’ve been terrible. I had a group of people ready to canvass and the campaign had nothing organized for us.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »

On the third day of early voting, 76,196 people voted (including returned mail ballots). The total early vote now stands at 192,949 voters.

This compares to 474,960 people who voted by the third day of the final week of early voting in the general election.

Including mail ballots that are unreturned, a total of 316,196 ballots have been cast or requested. That means 123,247 mail ballots have been issued but have yet to be returned.

Race and gender numbers are slowly getting better for Democrats, but it's still way below where Democrats would want it to be.

that isn't a horrible trend rate. Will there be another souls to the polls?
No. Early voting ends tomorrow.

Voted today. Nice sized line. Demographically it favored Democrats on the surface.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »

Abrams has no reason to abandon Georgia. It is a state trending in her direction. I’m ready to donate and support whatever move she makes next.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »

So Democrats are completely blowing this race because "who cares, we lost the Gubernatorial election". I really  f**king hate this party tbh.
The state party is doing a bunch of canvasses and phonebanks statewide Saturday-Tuesday. I plan on volunteering Sunday and Monday. In Democrat’s defense, several of the Metro Atlanta counties have less early vote locations than the general and the locations are located in white areas. Fulton only has two open in Alpharetta and Buckhead, completely ignoring the city of Atlanta most favorable to Democrats and the universally black South Fulton area.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »

Do we have a list of the counties accepting the postmarked ballots until 12/7?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

To non-ATL Metro Georgians, is Barrow still running that “Yeah I’m a Democrat, but I won’t bite ya” ad? It has ceased to exist here. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies