MTG has a higher chance of being the VP than you think
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:46:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  MTG has a higher chance of being the VP than you think
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MTG has a higher chance of being the VP than you think  (Read 617 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2024, 08:13:24 PM »

To be clear I don't think MTG will be Trump's running mate, but I feel like this forum is criminally underrating her chances. I doubt she ultimately gets picked, but I personally think she is the most likely woman to get the nod.

Trump said a year ago that he is looking for a woman. It's entirely possible that he's changed his mind (in fact right now I think the VP will likely be a male) but if he didn't then she would be an available choice.

Secondly, Trump values loyalty in his running mate. Especially after the Pence betrayal, Trump has become paranoid of his running mate turning on him. Like her or not, she offers unflitered loyalty (maybe a little too much) and will do anything Trump asks of her, in a way Rubio or Scott would not. Unlike someone like Stefanik who is only really in the political world for herself, MTG is mainly there to serve Trump completely. Especially as Trump has burned a lot of trust with the GOP establishment, having a VP 100% on his side would be a valuable asset.

The House despises her and Trump knows this. Making her the VP gives Mike Johnson a sigh of relief and she puts pressure on the Senate now, which is significantly less MAGA than the lower chamber. She would also put a lot of pressure on the next R majority leader whoever it is.

The biggest flaw to her though is her electability. She was an avid believer in conspiracy theories in the past, but she has apologized for saying the school shooting was a false flag and no longer believes in Qanon. There are a few more conspiracy theories she needs to renounce, but I assume that if she gets selected Trump will force her to do so. Ultimately, while MTG doesn't add anyone to Trump's side and makes some people a bit worried, I doubt that it will impact people's votes come November. She will likely have to take a PR crash course in under a month, but I think most voters who were already going to back Trump and some anti-Biden independents are fine with her on the ticket. 
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 08:17:25 PM »

She would sink the ticket harder than Palin did. I know McCain was dead in the water regardless of who he picked as VP, but this would tank any chance Trump has.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 08:22:27 PM »

She would sink the ticket harder than Palin did. I know McCain was dead in the water regardless of who he picked as VP, but this would tank any chance Trump has.
I don't think she dooms him. She isn't good electorally but at worst it moves the election from Lean Trump to Lean Biden. Trump is already associated with her anyway.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 08:32:16 PM »

I don't think she dooms him. She isn't good electorally but at worst it moves the election from Lean Trump to Lean Biden. Trump is already associated with her anyway.

She compromises any rationality a Trump curious voter might come up with to vote for him. There were voters in 2016 who probably saw Pence as a reasonable voice in Trump's citcle. Greene would not be given that benefit of the doubt.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 10:10:25 PM »

She would also essentially remove Biden's age from the discussion. All attention would turn to concerns about whether the 400 pound 80-year-old will die during the next four years and leave the Jewish space lasers lady in control of the nukes.

I don't think Trump wants to work so closely with any woman, though. I don't think he wants a woman VP.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 10:52:50 PM »

MTG might be a worse pick than Palin in terms of scaring away independents.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 11:08:57 PM »

She would also essentially remove Biden's age from the discussion. All attention would turn to concerns about whether the 400 pound 80-year-old will die during the next four years and leave the Jewish space lasers lady in control of the nukes.

I don't think Trump wants to work so closely with any woman, though. I don't think he wants a woman VP.

I think he would consider a woman VP, if she were in his estimation attractive. A lot of who and what Trump is and values is image. Consider that he initially did not hire Bolton early on merely because Bolton has a mustache and that did not fit his image of what he wanted his cabinet to look like. He wanted clean cut, cleanshaven men - Men who cut either a military image or who had a classical corporate look.

Now let us also consider that much of the value Trump places on a woman is her attractiveness in his eyes.

I think he would choose a woman he saw as attractive as VP in a heartbeat.

I believe it's why Noem was and perhaps still is in the running.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 02:10:37 AM »

MTG might be a worse pick than Palin in terms of scaring away independents.

She is also somehow an even bigger attention whore than her. Maybe even Trump when it comes down to it. If anything, that's the only reason he wouldn't pick her would be her upstaging him more so than the negative press she'll garner.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 07:03:40 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2024, 08:01:26 AM by Crumpets »

I think the biggest thing keeping MTG from being Trump's VP pick is that she takes too much attention for herself and might even outshine Trump in terms of headlines. Recently, I think her failed push against Johnson might also hurt her, not because Trump likes Johnson, but because it shows she's not necessarily as big league of a winner as he is.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 07:07:33 AM »

0% chance.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »

Trump has been making slightly "smarter" choices in his current run. Like firing Ronna McDaniel

I doubt he would pick MTG. But I also agree her being VP isn't zero.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2024, 09:44:49 AM »

That would be one sure way for Trump to concede Georgia.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2024, 09:49:38 AM »

I just can't picture a person that is planning to vote for trump but would draw the line at MTG. If you are ok enough with trump's track record, what is it about MTG that is going to far?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »

I just can't picture a person that is planning to vote for trump but would draw the line at MTG. If you are ok enough with trump's track record, what is it about MTG that is going to far?

Honestly Trump does seem to have some kind of unique appeal that even his most loyal supporters lack.

It should be noted that in 2022, MTG was the worst-performing Republican in her district, as in even Herschel Walker did better.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2024, 12:57:44 PM »

They might have cognitive dissonance wrt Trump but may already hate Greene.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2024, 01:04:53 PM »

Unlike Pence and the rest of the VP candidates, MTG would have tried to reject the electoral votes and just declare Trump the winner. That's the kind of loyalty that Trump is looking for.

I think he would like to pick her, but his campaign team will be so against it that he'll find someone else.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2024, 01:18:39 PM »

I agree. In my view it's more likely her presence on the ticket would boost Democratic turnout.

However, I really doubt she's being picked. I'd still bet on either Noem or Stefanik. Maybe Scott or Burgum.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2024, 01:19:37 PM »

I agree. In my view it's more likely her presence on the ticket would boost Democratic turnout.

However, I really doubt she's being picked. I'd still bet on either Noem or Stefanik. Maybe Scott or Burgum.

Noem is definitely out of the running. Right now, she is probably the most universally hated politician in the country regardless of people's ideology. Trump isn't THAT dumb.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2024, 01:56:09 PM »

Noem is definitely out of the running. Right now, she is probably the most universally hated politician in the country regardless of people's ideology. Trump isn't THAT dumb.
Do you think Noem or MTG would be a worse pick at this point?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2024, 02:02:13 PM »

Do you think Noem or MTG would be a worse pick at this point?

Noem by a hair, but MTG would be awful as well.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2024, 02:09:52 PM »

Trump would never pick somebody who could upstage him.  He wants somebody who is loyal, boring and can raise a lot of money.  Ergo, Tim Scott.   
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2024, 02:13:41 PM »

Trump would never pick somebody who could upstage him.  He wants somebody who is loyal, boring and can raise a lot of money.  Ergo, Tim Scott.   

Burgum would even better fit that bill. Otherwise I agree, Trump doesn't want anyone taking spotlight from him.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2024, 03:49:08 PM »

There are a lot of moderate, centrist voters who voted Trump 2x. The biggest lie the media pushed during the Trump era is that all his supporters are radicals who love him. A lot of people voted for him either because of economic reasons or because they viewed him as lesser of 2 evils, not because they loved him.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2024, 04:25:18 PM »

There are a lot of moderate, centrist voters who voted Trump 2x. The biggest lie the media pushed during the Trump era is that all his supporters are radicals who love him. A lot of people voted for him either because of economic reasons or because they viewed him as lesser of 2 evils, not because they loved him.

There are also social conservatives, including a numer of pro-lifers, that don´t like Trump but neither like the democrats, so they vote republican.

Also, pretty sure there are moderate trumpists, specially the Obama-Trump Midwestern and Northeastern WWC.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2024, 07:29:54 PM »

She’s basically a female version of Ted Cruz.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies