Report: Bush left White House in 1980's IT mode (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Report: Bush left White House in 1980's IT mode (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Report: Bush left White House in 1980's IT mode  (Read 3027 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »

Haha!  Yes, I do.  My dissertation occupies nine of them, and I had them numbered like that.  

Actually, I also remember the five-and-a-quarter-inch floppies as well.  They were quite floppy.  When the 3 and a half inch floppies came out I thought they were so cool.  Man, I gotta get me one of them 3.5-inch drives.  High tech.  

I'm not quite old enough to remember punch cards.  Well, I've seen them, but I really don't ever recall a time when the CS majors would walk around campus carrying them.  That was long before me.  I just remember the big boxes holding the 5.25-inch floppy discs.  

I also remember my first dial-up modem, about 21 years ago.  I'd dial a number and it would make all these loud boings and scratchy sounds, and about half the time I'd actually get connected.  If I actually got a connection, I'd log on to a a mainframe and within five minutes or so I could be opening an email message.

It seems mostly that we just get more and more dependent on technology.  I remember when I could take a month-long vacation and not be bothered by anything in the civilized world.  I can't imagine that happening now.  We also insist upon replacing everything that's a few years old, even when it still works.  None of this is necessarily a positive development.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies