$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:39:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 113140 times)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« on: November 27, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

It would be hilarious for this bill to fail in committee
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

The shuffling of republicans into and out of the no column for this bill is one of the more interesting aspects of the action surrounding this bill.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »

lmao if they think they'll have enough time to finish a vote-o-rama tomorrow starting so late

I don't think McConnell cares if these guys have to miss their Friday Night bar runs.

but they might
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »

So I'm assuming that the longer they stay in recess the further into the day the vote-o-rama is?

Are they still in recess?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »

"we have to pass it to find out what's in it"

You've got to pass it to handwrite it, duh!
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »

They should start all introducing motions to adjourn.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »

How long is this session of Congress going to be before they adjourn?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »

By the same logic, wouldn't the Republicans have already gotten rid of the legislative filibuster at this point? I'm going to extend the rate benefit of the doubt to them in this case, although I think you are right in the rest of your post about how it's better to have 4 extra years of Obama appointments to the bench.

Not necessarily. Democrats/liberals lose out more with a legislative filibuster because many big things we want to do then take 60 votes. Meanwhile, big things conservatives want to do, like cutting taxes and spending on liberal stuff can be done with bare majorities. I'm sure conservatives have their own dreams that require 60 votes right now, but they get by pretty well with the status quo.

Also consider that even without a legislative filibuster, after Democrats go buck wild in their turn with a federal trifecta, and enact a slew of new social programs, Republicans would be hard-pressed to roll those back due to the inevitable backlash. It's very hard to take those things away once they are implemented, hence why Republicans would want to keep a filibuster to block them from ever being implemented in the first place.

Exactly.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:55:36 PM »

I'm going to die of a stroke when Democrats reclaim the chamber and Mark Warner or whoever gets on TV to talk about how they can't just pass everything they want because they have to care about the deficit.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

Jaichind is a short sighted sociopath. He'd destroy a homeless shelter if he could build profitable luxury apartments on top of the ruins.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies