British Local Elections, May 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:19:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Local Elections, May 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26
Author Topic: British Local Elections, May 2024  (Read 14168 times)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2024, 11:55:31 AM »

In addition to the Tom Hunt MP story, there is also this:

theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/02/minister-sorry-as-veterans-find-id-card-not-valid-for-english-elections
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2024, 01:04:50 PM »

The pollworkers at the village hall looked rather startled to see a small group of people walking in. Today has not been busy, they say.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2024, 01:33:20 PM »

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2024, 01:36:06 PM »

The pollworkers at the village hall looked rather startled to see a small group of people walking in. Today has not been busy, they say.

I assume it's just West Mercia PCC where you are?

PCC turnouts are generally terrible except where there are other elections going on. This can have some effects on the results; e.g. I suspect Labour's chances of winning Avon & Somerset are rather higher than they might otherwise be because Bristol has local elections too so will have a non-embarrassing turnout but nowhere else in the PCC area does.

There might be some similar effects in the mayoral elections (e.g. no local elections in Birmingham, so turnout might be a bit lower there in the West Midlands mayoral election compared with the rest of the area) but I think people care more about those than they do about PCCs so the effects should be smaller.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2024, 01:59:01 PM »

Voted today in Darlington (Labour in both Mayoral and PCC election - both elections just the three main parties which is a first for me by virtue of only ever voting before in Scotland where the SNP always stood; and in a 80% Labour bit of London where the Greens were the second party). The turnout report was that things were 'surprisingly steady' - I had to queue for a whole 30 seconds when I went in and I'd say there were five or six people around when I voted (at approx. 5:30pm).

Have zero idea what this means - my ward is generally a safe Labour ward (voted 60/30 Labour in 2023; even in the 2019 council elections Labour won by 6% and that was because turnout was incredibly low rather than the Tories actually doing well) so if my polling station is representative that probably is good for Labour - but also you wonder if Houchen would benefit from a higher turnout if it is his voters coming out while the Labour guy won't have any sort of personal vote. If the UK was more modern in its election processes and actually reported ward/polling place figures I'd actually have an answer to this by this time tomorrow; but instead I'll have to make assumptions on the overall figures.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2024, 02:14:23 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 02:21:30 PM by Oryxslayer »

Anyone willing to make any predictions such as

How many seats do the Tories lose?
How many seats does Labour gain?
Who wins the West Midlands mayoralty?
Who wins the Teesside mayoralty?
Labour margin in Blackpool South

any other hot contests?

Statistical modeler Ben Walker estimates 478 Conservative losses, with a little over half in the net change going to Labour. So yes, I also think the Tory estimate of 500 loss council seats is a good topline benchmark to look for.

But that is not the full story.

Control and gaining seats in the right areas arguably matter more. That is the Labour line going into today. So here are some benchmarks for change in power:

Hartlepool: Labour landslide flips Con + Indie -> Labour majority
NE Lincolnshire: Con majority -> Con Minority
Dudley: Con majority -> Labour Minority or Majority
Tamworth: Con minority -> Labour Minority or Majority
Cannock Chase: Labour Minority -> Labour Majority
Redditch: Con majority -> Labour Majority
Nuneaton: Con majority -> Labour Majority
Rugby: Con Minority -> Labour + Lib-Dem coalition
Dorset: Con Majority -> Lib-Dem Majority
Adur: Con majority -> Labour Minority or Majority
Basingstoke & Deane: Indie led Coalition -> Labour or Lib-Dem led Coalition
Rushmoor: Con Majority -> Labour Minority or Majority
Wokingham: Lib-Dem minority -> Lib-Dem majority
Cherwell: Con Minority -> Labour + Lib-Dem coalition
Milton Keynes: Labour Minority -> Labour Majority
Elmbridge: Lib-Dem minority -> Lib-Dem Majority
Welwyn Hatfield: Lib-Dem + Labour coalition -> Lib-Dem + Labour tie for coalition leadership
Harlow: Con majority -> Labour Majority
Brentwood: Lib-Dem minority -> Lib-Dem majority
Basildon: Con Majority -> Con minority with potential for opposition coalition
Thurrock: Con Minority -> Labour Minority or Majority
Southend: Con Minority -> Labour Minority

These are priced on most of the estimates you see. But then there are the actual confusing councils, usually cause of the lack of nationalization or an extreme amount of it. Potential Gaza backlash or the potential lack of it matters in some of these. This is something new so models and observers can't exactly pinpoint it's potential viability:

Maidstone: Con minority -> Huh Coalition
Hastings: Green + Indie Coalition -> Huh Coalition
Bristol: Labour Minority -> Green Minority?
Stroud: Green led coalition -> Green or Labour majority?
Gloucester: Con Majority -> Huh Coalition
Worcester: Labour + Green Coalition -> Labour majority?
Oxford: Labour minority -> Labour Majority or Lib-Dem led Coalition?
Norwich: Labour Minority -> Labour Majority or Green + Labour Defector Coalition?
Cambridge: Labour Majority -> Labour Minority?
Peterborough: Con Minority? -> Huh Coalition
Hyndburn: Con Minority -> Labour Majority?
Pendle + Burnley: Labour-Defector Led Coalitions -> Huh

Rochdale, Manchester, Bradford, and Others: Will Gaza-focused candidates - sometimes Indie sometimes under local or Galloway labels - takes seats of Labour?
DL
Canada

« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2024, 03:29:22 PM »

What happens when you have single issue candidates (e.g. all about Gaza) who get elected to a local council and discover they will spend the next three years dealing with parking and dog runs?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2024, 03:41:23 PM »

What happens when you have single issue candidates (e.g. all about Gaza) who get elected to a local council and discover they will spend the next three years dealing with parking and dog runs?

They have the word 'Councillor' in front of their names and that gives them more credibility, at least in their own minds, when they talk about their issue of interest.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2024, 03:57:09 PM »

They have the word 'Councillor' in front of their names and that gives them more credibility, at least in their own minds, when they talk about their issue of interest.

So far it has only been Labour defectors driving the narrative. Not only are they already elected, but in many cases they were making statements with the knowledge that their position isn't changing. Defections were mostly occurring in one of two situations: where there were enough/all defecting councilors and could rebuild a new majority with them at the head (e.g. Pendle) or where they were in opposition and that wasn't going to change (E.G. Walsall).

But now some face the test of the voters they claimed to be acting in the interests of, usually with only the Indie label. They theoretically are in the best position of such candidates with incumbency and sometimes power, but even their fate is uncertain.

The indie/single-issue slates running mainly in the NW are not just challengers to large Labour majorities, they also only have Gaza. Power cannot fall into their hands in most places just cause of the Labour math: for example 50% of the Rochdale council is not up for election and Labour, they only need to hold 1. Labour can and no doubt will ignore the small delegations, hurting the communities voice and representation in government. People who get elected on these type of national platforms usually just can't be worked with constructively.

Then we get to the issue of voters. Both Galloway's result and subsequent investigations into the NE locals found the issue only cuts into the Muslim communities, and how much versus other issues is debatable. Which is why some suspect things like this won't matter. But it's an unknown you have to recognize.

Also there's plenty of past evidence from Galloway's previous council meddling of what he brings to the table...
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2024, 04:00:16 PM »

Polls closed.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2024, 04:00:55 PM »

Here we go!
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2024, 04:04:01 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2024, 04:06:36 PM »

BBC Results Central Site. Their TV stream will not start till before Midnight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2024/england/results
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2024, 04:10:06 PM »

Well, ukip got loads of people elected and they spent most of their terms drifting into new formations, arguing or giving up and joining the tories.
Duke of York

« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2024, 04:10:49 PM »

BBC Results Central Site. Their TV stream will not start till before Midnight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2024/england/results

Seems Sky News will do the same.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2024, 04:19:35 PM »

He's up on Yt right now if you want something until the BBC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFX_go4-5bI&ab_channel=BritainElects

Edit: Teale is in the live chat as well.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2024, 04:31:10 PM »

From the livestream there are rumors of a Tory Wipeout in Portsmouth. Unsurprising given history and their remaining turf, but looks really bad for a certain rival who is seemingly preparing to challenge Sunak...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2024, 04:35:56 PM »

From the livestream there are rumors of a Tory Wipeout in Portsmouth. Unsurprising given history and their remaining turf, but looks really bad for a certain rival who is seemingly preparing to challenge Sunak...

Yeah your predictions from earlier in the week (sorry, meant to reply but got majorly distracted by Edinburgh antics) are looking pretty prescient right now…
DL
Canada

« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2024, 04:41:35 PM »

I presume this is based on recent polling trends and not on any exit polls from today?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2024, 04:48:56 PM »

Obviously plenty of salt needed...

Duke of York

« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2024, 05:11:18 PM »

I have serious doubts. That would be a massive blow to Labour and would mean every single poll was completely off.  If i was a Labour MP I would call on Starmer to resign if that came to fruition.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2024, 05:14:37 PM »

To paraphrase Megyn Kelly, “Is this just maths that you do as a Republican Tory to make yourself feel better or is this real?”
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2024, 05:15:38 PM »

I seem to recall the exact same being said of Shaun Bailey’s chances in 2021, only for him to be beaten comfortably (although, in fairness, it wasn’t the utter curbstomping that was predicted by the polls either and I assume that will again be the case).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2024, 05:19:55 PM »

I seem to recall the exact same being said of Shaun Bailey’s chances in 2021, only for him to be beaten comfortably (although, in fairness, it wasn’t the utter curbstomping that was predicted by the polls either and I assume that will again be the case).

I think that was because the more Tory friendly boroughs counted first.
Duke of York

« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2024, 05:22:06 PM »

I think that was because the more Tory friendly boroughs counted first.

If it's true and I have serious doubts it is because it would mean a massive polling error Starmer should resign as leader because something has fundamentally changed and would mean possibly more unexpected loses for Labour.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies