State abortion laws megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:44:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State abortion laws megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State abortion laws megathread  (Read 42270 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 07, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »

Honestly, at this point I'd take a Continental-style consensus around relatively-lax-but-not-incredibly-so abortion laws if it was what it took to stop the culture wars from escalating even further. I simply don't understand what the culture warrior (yes, On Both Sides) endgame is at this point, unless it's either actualization of the Jesusland map from 2004 or complete political and social subjugation of the perceived enemy.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »

This is horrific and totally unconstitutional.  How are they even going to enforce this? Are doctors going to have to tell the police/state everyone that's pregnant? This is dystopian.

Thank you Governor Kemp! This approach will do far more to reduce abortion than any standalone in-state law ever will.

Muh small government.

Criminal justice is one of the core responsibilities of any government, no matter how small or large.

Including the invasion of privacy of what a women chooses to do when they leave the state? That's dystopian and unconstitutional.

Yeah, this is effing insane. On top of which, it's almost certainly an interstate commerce violation and possibly a full faith and credit violation too.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:07:56 AM »

By my count we have three different threads about recently-enacted SCOTUS-bait state abortion laws on the first page of US General, one thread about a progressive state legislator antagonizing pro-lifers in his state, and one thread where OP is riffing on something I said in one of the other four threads. There are also threads further back about liberalizations of abortion law in Democratic-controlled states, far-right red meat being thrown at the wall to see if it sticks in Republican-controlled states, outré pro-life or pro-choice rhetoric that's not making it into law, and so on and so forth.

These threads deal with common themes, there are quite a number of them, and most of them don't take very long to get extremely bellicose, recriminatory, and fractious, sometimes among otherwise pretty irenic posters. I think it would be a good idea for us to try to keep this all in one megathread if possible like we do for Mueller and for Ilhan Omar, and I invite NYGurl to sticky this thread as she offered to do when I suggested this on the Atlas board.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies