The Gay Empire State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:43:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Gay Empire State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: The Gay Empire State  (Read 29930 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »

This is huge.

Really huge.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2011, 01:17:31 AM »

I actually am sensible on some issues. I'm anti-war, anti-bailouts, I'm a modrate-ish on immigration, and on some environmental issues. BTRD just has this problem with my questioning Obama's eligibility to be president.

I'll freely admit that I have a problem with your position on this, because this is a major issue for me (particularly considering that one of my best friends in the whole world is a gay girl who lives in New York--Roy McDonald's district, actually), but all right, that sounds like a fairly non-insane subvariety of conservatism there. It seems a bit Old Right, which is very far from where I stand but at least doesn't completely make me want to throw up. All things considered it's just a shame that we're living in a political climate where things like the President's eligibility to be President (which, I'll be totally honest with you, I do think your alleged position on is at least somewhat crankish) are actually 'issues' at all, at least in the public mind.

Do gay people not have families or something? I'm sure that'll be rather disappointing news to several people I'm very close to.

I am mostly of the Old Right. The fact that government got involved in marriage at all back in the 1800's was ludicrous. Most of those laws denied marriage rights to inter-racial coulples and I would've opposed the denial of the right of inter-racial couples to marry. If it were a case of gays being denied access to certain jobs (religious and military excluded ) I'd be with you guys on that. But to give marital rights to gays goes against everything I believe as both an Old Right conservative and as a Christian.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »

I don't hate anyone (French people excluded)!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »

http://www.capitaltonight.com/2011/06/salands-statement-on-his-vote/

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »

You're almost at a good title, Lunar.  I can feel it.

I myself would have gone with "Start spreading the news, New York is teh ghey."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »

I am mostly of the Old Right. The fact that government got involved in marriage at all back in the 1800's was ludicrous. Most of those laws denied marriage rights to inter-racial coulples and I would've opposed the denial of the right of inter-racial couples to marry. If it were a case of gays being denied access to certain jobs (religious and military excluded ) I'd be with you guys on that. But to give marital rights to gays goes against everything I believe as both an Old Right conservative and as a Christian.

Eh, makes sense. I'm a Christian as well, but I'd wager of a vastly different type. Agreed with you that government involvement in marriage has major flaws, but I'm far from sure that completely abolishing such involvement and (re?)privatising the institution is the best solution to that.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »

Government marriage is a fad which began in the mid-19th century in order so that the state could monitor marriages to prevent people from marrying members of different races.  It's time that such a disgusting concept be done away with.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2011, 01:59:48 AM »

You're almost at a good title, Lunar.  I can feel it.

I myself would have gone with "Start spreading the news, New York is teh ghey."

The Big Appletini  

For me this is ultimately just a clear case of extending equal rights.  I think it is absurd that a gay couple that has been together for decades were not afforded the same rights as some sham shotgun wedding.  

Even from a religious side of my upbringing, I still see no conflict. No one is forcing you to bless gay marriage as a sacrament.  It is merely a fuller expression of separation of church and state.  
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2011, 02:05:01 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2011, 02:21:09 AM by CoolidgeRevivalist »

Eh, makes sense. I'm a Christian as well, but I'd wager of a vastly different type. Agreed with you that government involvement in marriage has major flaws, but I'm far from sure that completely abolishing such involvement and (re?)privatising the institution is the best solution to that.

Hence placing that role back to the states and keep the federal government out of it. As legislation that Ron Paul has proposed would do. Keep it to the states. If I may ask of the type of Christianity you proport yourself as part of?

As to the response concerning separation of church and state, That was ment to defend the churches against state interference but the state needed to look to the church as a conscience and place that taught good citizenship.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »

I'm a Christian and will proudly vote against banning it in 2012 in my state. If there are any organized protests of false churches (Catholic, Mormon or fundie ones that support it) like there were in California with Prop 8 I will be there.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2011, 02:07:43 AM »

As to the response concerning separation of church and state,

Fragment (consider revising).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #286 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:45 AM »

Good for NY! I know there's a lot of partying going on in the city tonight.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2011, 02:30:03 AM »

As to the response concerning separation of church and state,

Fragment (consider revising).

Added something to render the fragment moot.
I'm a Christian and will proudly vote against banning it in 2012 in my state. If there are any organized protests of false churches (Catholic, Mormon or fundie ones that support it) like there were in California with Prop 8 I will be there.

What would you consider a fundie denomination. Name them. I'll give you the LDS because of certain things they deny about Jesus.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2011, 02:36:21 AM »

What would you consider a fundie denomination. Name them. I'll give you the LDS because of certain things they deny about Jesus.

Any denomination that has as a member a nut job like you.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2011, 02:44:16 AM »

Do
You want to throw Elvis Presley, Gov. Sarah Palin, the Jonas Brothers, Kris Allen, AttGen John Aschroft under the bus too? Because if you you throw me you
would throw them under it too.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »

Do
You want to throw Elvis Presley, Gov. Sarah Palin, the Jonas Brothers, Kris Allen, AttGen John Aschroft under the bus too? Because if you you throw me you

Yes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »

Do

Yes.

Hell yes!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2011, 02:55:43 AM »

Congrats, gays and/or New Yorkers.  I'll raise a glass to you.  Just not one of those damn sugary sweet drinks.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »

Do
You want to throw Elvis Presley, Gov. Sarah Palin,Smit Wigglesworth,  the Jonas Brothers, Kris Allen, AttGen John Aschroft under the bus too? Because if you you throw me you

Yes.

Hell yes!

It's the ones that ordain gay ministers that sadly must be thrown under that bus. Not the fundies. Can the left just admit that the fundies are right on this one.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2011, 03:25:51 AM »

Do
You want to throw Elvis Presley, Gov. Sarah Palin,Smit Wigglesworth,  the Jonas Brothers, Kris Allen, AttGen John Aschroft under the bus too? Because if you you throw me you

Yes.

Hell yes!

It's the ones that ordain gay ministers that sadly must be thrown under that bus. Not the fundies. Can the left just admit that the fundies are right on this one.

No.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #295 on: June 25, 2011, 03:42:02 AM »

This seems pretty epic. Cool stuff.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »

Do

Yes.

Hell yes!

No.

Hell no!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2011, 03:54:22 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2011, 07:23:52 AM by Nathan »

Hence placing that role back to the states and keep the federal government out of it. As legislation that Ron Paul has proposed would do. Keep it to the states. If I may ask of the type of Christianity you proport yourself as part of?

That's a fair enough position, though if I'm thinking of the same Ron Paul legislation that you are, I'm a bit leery of jurisdiction-stripping in general.

I'm Episcopalian. I'm in a fairly liberal parish in a fairly liberal diocese, and by the standards of my parish I'm actually on the staid and conservative side of things. I like it a lot, though.

...No, because you're not?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2011, 06:37:18 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2011, 06:38:59 AM by Holmes »

Congrats, gays and/or New Yorkers.  I'll raise a glass to you.  Just not one of those damn sugary sweet drinks.

It has to be a margarita, in celebration of this victory!

Yeah, in the state that Stonewall happened, in Pride month too!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »

A manhattan would be an appropriate drink in this case, yes?

Also, I didn't realize JCL says he's 30 in his profile. Until now I assumed he was one of our 13-year-old posters.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies