Are you proud of banning media being impossible in the US? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:45:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are you proud of banning media being impossible in the US? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you proud of banning media being impossible in the US?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Are you proud of banning media being impossible in the US?  (Read 3315 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 06, 2008, 08:51:59 AM »

Oh they whine.  I know the Democrats censored Tipper Gore along time ago so some of you might not remember, but she was HUGE into censorship.  The PMRC is still quite active as far as I know.  Everytime a kid kills somebody, all his hobbies are instantly under threat.  He like to listen to Slayer and play GTA4?   OH NOES!  Metal and video games lead kids to kill!  Nevermind that there were millions of other kids listening to metal and playing GTA4 that didn't kill anybody.  In a free society you're always going to have people crying about more govt control over the people, whether it be via taxes, removing our rights to defend ourselves or censoring our entertainment.  We must be vigilant against these slayers of freedom.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »

And self censorship is sadly effective as was seen in the Mohammed cartoons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »

Most censorship in any work of fiction or act is done before its even produced. The US Army for example "inspects" most hollywood films with military themes in the post-production phase before the final cut is ready.
cite?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:16:56 AM »

Most censorship in any work of fiction or act is done before its even produced. The US Army for example "inspects" most hollywood films with military themes in the post-production phase before the final cut is ready.
cite?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec06/hollywood_10-06.html

One bit I'd pay particular attention to:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course this isn't de facto censorship and film makers like those of 13 days can bypass or ignore it; but I think the point remains.
That's if they want the DoD's cooperation.  ie, they want stock footage, or actual tanks and planes.  Why would the military let their men and equipment get used in a movie that was going to bash them?  The DoD has no power to stop somebody from making a movie, but they do have the power to say, no, you can't use our sh**t.  If that's censorship to you, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

So, your argument is that the US military should help filmmakers when they ask, no matter the cause, in the making of movies.  Do they only have to be BIG STUDIO films or can any jackass with a steady cam call?  How far do they have to bend?  How many tax dollars should they spend?  Obviously they can't help every jackass with a steady cam, so who draws the line?  Do you let the DoD draw the line, no you probably wouldn't.  What if the liberal thinker you put in charge of making that choice makes the DoD help in a movie they know will hurt them in the public light, a movie that is total fiction.  Exactly how helpful do you think the military is going to be?  If you want the US military to help make movies and TV shows, you have to let them decided who does what.  Anything else is unreasonable and unfair.

Again, if that's censorship (of a type) to you, we'll have to agree to disagree.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

Well sure and not all forms of censorshiop are bad either.  If I tell my kids not to scream swear words when in public, I'm censoring them.  I thought you were agreeing with Gully that it was a bad thing when the military did it.  My mistake.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies