Why Not These Folks: Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Why Not These Folks: Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So why are these somewhat prominent Democrats rarely talked about as Presidential candidates?
Byron Dorgan
Chuck Schumer
Bill Nelson
Jack Reed
Dick Durbin
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Why Not These Folks: Democrats  (Read 1850 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:59:30 PM »

I understand they may not WANT the job.  But I fail to see why some of these names aren't, at the very least, tossed around by the pundits.  Each seems quite intelligent, capable and gifted.  Boring?  Well, sure.  But I'll vote for a boring President who gets the job done any day. 

I especially like Durbin and Dorgan.

Another thread coming for Republicans...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:02:14 PM »

jack reed would make a damn good president.  but he is completely unelectable due to his complete lack of charisma.

the rest of those jokers you listed are just horrible.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 10:05:13 PM »

I am an IDIOT.

I didn't mean to make this a poll.  Stressmas has me all bollocks up.  I need a gin & tonic, sans tonic!  Sorry!
sethm0

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »

Dorgan and Durbin would both be decent, but they are both a little dry and unexciting. Schumer wouldn't play well enough outside of New York.

Jack Reed would be fantastic, he just doesn't come off as Presidential. He seems sort of shy in the spotlight, like most Rhode Island politicians (Chafee, Kennedy) I guess. He's also very short in person, but don't let that fool you; he's a former Army Ranger and could probably kill you with his bare hands. I'll bet he knows karate.

I'm thinking that if a Democrat is elected, Reed has to be on the short list for Secretary of Defense.

Bill Nelson would be an interesting candidate for President or VP.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »

I voted Schumer...the man knew that Virginia was more promising than Arizona (wonder if Rahm or McAuliffe would've known that).  He also seems to be sufficiently liberal, but I'll have to check that out.  I actually like all of those Senators...a lot!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »

Reed is the only one I would be remotely interested in seeing run for President.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 12:34:49 AM »

I voted Schumer...the man knew that Virginia was more promising than Arizona (wonder if Rahm or McAuliffe would've known that).  He also seems to be sufficiently liberal, but I'll have to check that out.  I actually like all of those Senators...a lot!

I like them all, too, Tarheel. 

I know charisma is important to winning.  But it's so unimportant to governing.  Give me a crabby, boring old man any day!  I've seen too many of these "good 'ol boy" drinkin' buddy Presidents over the last few. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 01:50:10 AM »

I like Schumer. I'm not sure why.
sethm0

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 02:16:38 AM »

It took him forever to realize it! Some of the people on this forum were on to the fact that Pederson was overrated and Webb had promise months before Schumer was!
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 03:16:29 PM »

Reed, maybe Shumer. Nelson would be a good VP nom.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

Bryon Dorgan will most likely be a VP candidate fro Lou Dobbs.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 12:29:23 PM »

All, but Bill Nelson and Dorgan are from "liberal" states.  Bill Nelson is a very, very boring speaker (he could give Casey a real run for his money in a contest for who could put a crowd top sleep first Sad ).  Dorgan was in Fairenhiet 9/11 (therefore ineligable for national office Sad ).  Also, he would not bring anything besides a few counties in North Dakota at best Sad (though he is a good Senator).
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »

After Durbin compared US soldiers in Afghanistan to Nazis back in 2004, that pretty much killed his chances of going anywhere near the White House as a presidential or vice presidential candidate
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »

After Durbin compared US soldiers in Afghanistan to Nazis back in 2004

No clue what you're talking about. Please provide the quote (I have a feeling you made this up).
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »

No clue what you're talking about. Please provide the quote (I have a feeling you made this up).

I don't think it was soldiers in Afghanistan. IIRC, he compared U.S. interrogation techniques at Guantanamo Bay to interrogation techniques done by the Nazis and the former Soviet Union.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 08:33:48 PM »

I don't think it was soldiers in Afghanistan. IIRC, he compared U.S. interrogation techniques at Guantanamo Bay to interrogation techniques done by the Nazis and the former Soviet Union.

He's right Scoonie. Durbin made a comparison between our army and the Nazis and other war criminals. Like Kerry's recent faux pas, it wasn't intentional. And he never should have apologized. The veterans and their buddies in the GOP deliberately played the issue up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Durbin

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 08:46:06 PM »

I like all of the Democrats listed, although some I don't know much about.

Dorgan and Reed suffer from the same problem Howard Dean had in 2003, they are good people but no one takes them seriously because they are from small states that are safe for one of the parties.

Nelson might be a good choice, but I don't know much other than he's kind of a Blue Dog. This wouldn't help him until after the primaries.

Durbin and Schumer are liberal senators from liberal states. They would be instantly compared to Kerry.

I voted for Dick Durbin b/c he's my favorite. I first remember him asking Ashcroft tough questions during his confirmation hearing in early 2001. Since Ashcroft was supposedly given the job to placate the religious right, I was glad Durbin didn't let him slip through easily.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 10:57:20 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2006, 10:59:48 AM by Governor and ffmr. 4 term senator jdb »

After Durbin compared US soldiers in Afghanistan to Nazis back in 2004, that pretty much killed his chances of going anywhere near the White House as a presidential or vice presidential candidate

Durbin never did this.  He said that an FBI agent (I think) told him that if you saw the tactics used at Guantanimo you would think it was a Nazi camp or a soviet gulag.  Durbin never mentioned Afganistan.  Durbin should've said "you just might think..." instead of "you would most certainly think..."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies