Obama's Catholic hospital decision (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:49:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's Catholic hospital decision (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's Catholic hospital decision  (Read 8035 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

The problem the Obama people have coming out and defending this isn't the contraception angle, but that this issue highlights the absurdities of our current system of tax-loophole-subsidized employer-provided health insurance, a system that Obamacare makes even more central to out health care system, when we need to make it less central, or even better do away with, altho there are too many vested interests to make that likely to happen.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »

The problem the Obama people have coming out and defending this isn't the contraception angle, but that this issue highlights the absurdities of our current system of tax-loophole-subsidized employer-provided health insurance, a system that Obamacare makes even more central to out health care system, when we need to make it less central, or even better do away with, altho there are too many vested interests to make that likely to happen.

Obamacare sets us on the path to doing away with the employer-provided insurance system, through the establishment of regulated health insurance exchanges. Once they are up and running for the self-employed and other groups, they can be opened up to the employees of larger businesses as well.

Believe that if you will.  The exchanges look to be set up to fail from the get go.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:40:13 PM »

The insurers need to cover it without getting any additional premium payment for the additional coverage?

Don't know the actuarial tables on this, but it does seem likely that increased contraceptive use would decrease maternity care which can be quite expensive.  Whether the net effect on the insurers is positive or negative is something I don't have the data to judge, but they may well have it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

Yeah, neither Obama nor anyone in the White House made much of an attempt to defend themselves on the legal grounds.  I'd say that there are two main reasons for this.  The first one everyone has noticed; the president is, at times, a wuss, and I doubt, given the fact that it's an election year, this will be the last time this quality will manifest itself when faced with a wedge issue.  The second is that this White House seems unwilling, in the heat of a political fight, to make what would otherwise be a clear legal case for themselves.  They had a pretty solid legal basis for participation in the U.N. action in Libya, and they allowed themselves to get beat up over it for nothing.  Now there's this too.  It's very strange to me, because the president is a constitutional lawyer, and while I've no doubt at all there are better ones, I'm just as sure that he isn't the dumbest one on the block, so why he doesn't lean on that background when he needs to, and when it would otherwise serve him well, is silly.

Not strange at all.  A legalistic defense may work very well in a court of law, but it seldom works well in the court of public opinion.  The problems Obama faced on this issue were not legal, but political.  Indeed, if the administration were to make the legality of the actions you mentioned the focus of their response, it would hurt politically.  Better to respond with  forceful defense of the legality of their actions only when directly confronted with it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies