Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:45:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29615 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 1-4: Kennedy was campaigning among industrial workers in Ohio with Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy both days, promising that he would pass protection for unions and repeal Taft-Hartley, as well as brining up Gore's desire to use nuclear weapons in Korea. While they were campaigning,the three noted that they put their differences aside to hold up the beacon for liberalism in the United States.

May 5-7: kennedy campaigned in the Western states these days while Humphrey met with part bosses from the states that weren't holding primaries out west. Again, Humphrey drove forward that kennedy had raised the chances of a Democratic victory in November, and that sitcking to the line with Johnson was a losing battle, given his approval rating.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2018, 12:39:12 PM by UWS »

Dillon's Debate Answers
To Former Secretary Dillon : “First of all, Congratulations on your wins in the Massachusetts Primary and Connecticut and Rhode Island Caucuses a few nights ago. Now, let’s get to your first specific question. You are well known to have been the former Secretary of Treasury under the Administration of the late President John Fitzgerald Kennedy and his brother, Robert, is likely going to be the Democratic Nominee this fall. Many are questioning, however, if you’ll be tough on Robert considering the connections you had to his brother. How will you alleviate the fears of those who have spoken this?

Dillon's answer : Moderately tough if not less, but not extremely tough. Like I said, I have respect for Senator Robert Kennedy and his family's legacy and I am proud to have worked with him in his brother's administration. But in this campaign, we have to understand the difference between their records. I am proud to have, as Secretary of Treasury, worked with President Kennedy to cut taxes for the American people in order to encourage economic growth, which brought positive results for the economy. Thanks to President Kennedy's tax cuts, the economy accelerated and prospered, the GDP expanded by an average of 5.5% from early 1961 to late 1963, inflation was down at around 1 %, the unemployment rate declined from 6.6 % to 5.6 % during Kennedy's two years in the White House, industrial production rose by 15 % and motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %.

But here's the difference between President Kennedy and his brother Robert Francis Kennedy who is now seeking the presidency and is apparently very likely to win the Democratic nomination. Their main difference is on how to handle the economy and create jobs. Senator Kennedy wants to raise taxes and regulations on the American people and on businesses across this country, which will aweaken the economy by killing jobs, decreasing the American people's purchasing power, making America a harder place to do business and shipping businesses overseas. As we now have a 3.5 % unemployment rate, I believe we have a chance to get our country to full employment but Senator Kennedy's liberal job-killing agenda will spoil that potential through tax increases that will reduce our businesses' productivity and ability to create jobs. But I have the right experience to handle economic issues, to create jobs and to balance the budget.

That's why I will, as President, fight to cut taxes for all the people, to champion small businesses, to open more trade through the pursuit of our quest for open markets around the world and to balance the budget, which will ensure stronger job creation and a stronger economy and lead America to a bright and prosperous future by getting us to full employment.

To Former Secretary Dillon : “Secretary, your second question is the same as the second question for Senator Case. I want this to be a chance for the both of you to remain civil with one another and so I want you to name at least three things that you think are positive of Dillon and explain why you think those are Positive things.”

Dillon's answer : First of all, I appreciate his record on civil rights, especially with his support to an anti-poll tax measure, a proposal to prevent segregation in the Women's Reserve of the Coast Guard, and the creation of a Fair Employment Practices Commission to prohibit discrimination in the workforce. Secondly, Senator Case is, just like all of us, great patriots who care about our country's future and I condemn Senator McCarthy for his witch hunt and his false accusations against Case according to which he was an adept of communism and was, and I quote, "Stalin's choice for Senator." And finally, what I can say positively about Senator Case is that he is a living proof that we have different wings in our party that will work together in order to reach all of American voters (conservatives, moderates, liberals, independents) of different political beliefs across this country and that's what we will work on no matter who wins the nomination because we are Americans first and we need to finally bring this country in the right direction.

To All Candidates : “Behind every great President is a great Vice President at the ready in the case the worst may happen and for the Vice President, only the best of the best should have the position. Please, name your top five choices for your possible running mate and explain why you think so.”

Dillon's answer : First of all, we need a VP nominee able to increase our reach among all kinds of American voters and with enough experience to be Vice-President on Day 1. Here's my top 5 list. First, Congressman George H. W. Bush. He is young enough and could help our party to increase our ability to attract young voters and by being from Texas, he could help me to counter the George Wallace factor in the South. Then comes Claude Kirk who, as the first RepublicanGovernor of Florida since Reconstruction could also help our party to reach southern voters and to win such a crucial state like Florida. I also have Ronald Reagan in mind, who has already proven to be an effective Governor in California and can help us to bring all factions of the Republican Party together for the General Election. Also, Hawaii Senator Hiram Fong who can boost our party's support among ethnic minorities in this time of national division and fight for civil rights. And finally, George Romney who not only can help secure the Midwest but also can emphasize our economic message due to his business experience and to my experience as Secretary of Treasury.

To All Candidates : “The Democratic Primary has gotten quite competitive in recent weeks due to the pre-emptive Southern Democrats move to give Senator Gore all the Southern Caucus States and 620 Delegates in total, and Senator Gore is likely to win Indiana, West Virginia, and Florida, thus giving him even more Delegates, however, Senator Kennedy still persists against him. If Senator Gore was to become the Nominee, how would you deal with him and how would you try to defeat him?”

Dillon's answer : While I have respect for Senator Gore, he is also on the wrong side of foreign policy issues as he voted against providing our troops in Vietnam the necessary arsenal and effectives to carry through this conflict. The moreover that he plans to use nuclear weapons in Korea, which will only cause more problems, more deaths and also trigger World War III. Despite all the racist and segregational injustices that African Americans and other racial minorities in America suffered for centuries, Senator Gore voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that finally granted voting rights for African Americans. Why? Because Senator Gore opposes racial integration and does not believe in a strong, free and fair society for all Americans. We are all Americans and that's what the Republican Party has always understood. No wonder that we are the party that abolished slavery under President Abraham Lincoln over 100 years ago. And if Gore were to be the Democratic nominee, his opposition to the Civil Rights Act and his support to segregation will encourage African Americans to vote Republican in November and that's how we're going to defeat Gore in a landslide.

To All Candidates : “Speaking of the General Election, Governor George Wallace of Alabama has declared his candidacy for President under the banner of the ‘American Independent’ Party with Former Kentucky Governor and Senator Happy Chandler as his running mate and thus, the South has seemed practically theirs for the taking. How will you deal with the American Independents and prevent an Electoral College deadlock?”

Dillon's answer : By selecting a running mate from the South in order to increase our appeal among southern voters.

And as you know, the South, just like all regions in America, is a region that strongly champions tax reform and small government. Southern voters want less government, less taxes, more economic freedom and more purchasing power, and yet Governor Wallace raised property taxes in Alabama have drastically increased, making Alabama one of the states with one of the highest property taxes in the country, which diminished the people of Alabama's purchasing power and killed jobs. Fortunately, unlike Governor Wallace, we are the party that champions free market and seeks to make America a place opened for business. Unlike him, I successfully worked as Secretary of Treasury to cut taxes for the sake of economic growth and America's economic prosperity. That way, I will be able to show that I am more fiscally responsible than a tax-hike liberal like George Wallace and that's another factor of the increase of our appeal in the conservative south.

I find it strange that Governor Wallace, a segregationist, selected Happy Chandler as his VP candidate despite the fact that Chandler supported the hiring of Jackie Robinson by the Brooklyn Dodgers during his time as commissioner of baseball. It shows Wallace's hypocrisy.

And Governor Wallace's support to segregation as well as his policies restricting African-Americans' civil rights in Alabama demonstrates that he is completely out of step with American values and is disconnected from reality. His policies moves us backwards, but we are the party of the future. So once again, it gives us another opportunity to remind voters that we are the party that abolished slavery and we will fight to put forward the right solutions for their future when it comes to education, civil rights and economic opportunity. And by encouraging African American voters in the South to come out and vote, we will win southern states like Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc. and that way, our party's nominee will get to 270 electoral votes and be elected President of the United States and then we will fix America once and for all.

To All Candidates : “This is a two-parter. First, the war in Vietnam has seemingly taken a war for the worse and President Johnson’s approval rating has taken a massive hit from it. Furthermore, there are those saying that the war can still be won, those saying that a stalemate can be reached, and those saying that it’s time to forget about the south and leave. Which option do you believe in most and how would you achieve that goal? Secondly, there has been a massive increase in riots and protests considering race relations and the Vietnam War that have seen crime skyrocket across the Nation and have made many Americans fearful of the future. As President, how would you crack down on these riots without being too much like a dictator, if that is even possible.”

Dillon's answer : Well, I believe that this war can still be won by bombing the Vietcongs' defenses and by ordering a land offensive on Ho Chi Minh City, the capital of North Vietnam, which will force North Vietnam to surrender. But I think believe that a stalemate can be reached by increasing our efforts to train the South Vietnamese troops in order to prepare us and our allies for such offensive against the enemy.

When it comes to the riots, we need to make sure that our police officers will have all the necessary equipment to maintain order. And we need to keep supporting this fight for the promotion of civil rights in this country in order to end racial inequality.

To All Candidates : “With the entrance of Governor Wallace, the chances of a potential Electoral Deadlock seems more likely than ever before if such a Deadlock occurs, The House will decide the President and the Senate will decide the Vice President, and both are controlled by the Democrats. Recent Polls have given the Republicans a 9.7% lead in the House vote, and has brought in 23 Toss-Up Senate Seats, which means the Republicans could retake both chambers of Congress this November. How would you prevent an electoral deadlock and if you can’t, what would you do to make sure that at least one of the chambers of Congress is taken by the Republicans so you can have at least one Republican in the White House for the next four years?”

Dillon's answer : When it comes to how to prevent a deadlock, I talked to you a lot about it earlier tonight.

But in order to make sure that we will take control of one of the chambers in Congress, we need, for example, that all of our senate incumbents up for re-election this year will have our party's support so we have a better chance in keeping these senate seats. George Smathers' senate seat in Florida is an open seat so it gives us a great opportunity to take it with Edward Gurney. And thanks to my southern strategy, we will take southern Democratic senate seats and so we will take control of either the Senate and/or the House of Representatives and so a Republican will be elected President even if a deadlock can't be avoided.

To All Candidates : “In two days, the voters of Indiana, Ohio, and Washington D.C. will go to vote in the primaries and the citizens of Maryland will decide in a Caucus who their Delegates will support, a total of 119 Delegates up for grabs. What is your last message to the citizens of these states and regions on why they should support you as opposed to your two other opponents before they go vote?”

Closing Statements : We are at a critical time of challenge, division and fight. We can't afford four more years like the last few years. That's why we need to elect a Republican at the White House. And I have the best chance to defeat Robert F. Kennedy or Albert Gore in the general election. Why, because I'm the only one on this stage that managed to bring all the factions of our party together. And I have the right experience to govern. Thanks to my experience as Secretary of Treasury, our economy will keep growing and get to full-employment thanks to the promotion of free enterprise and small government. Thanks to my experience as Under Secretary of State, U.S. Ambassador to France and member of the Executive Committee of the National Security Council  during the Cuban missile crisis, we will keep this country strong and safe against our ennemies and we will win the Cold War. So Ohio, Indiana and Washington D.C., I call for your support and I need your vote on May 7 in order to give us a decent chance to win the presidential race and finally get America in the right direction through a fair society for all Americans, through a strong economy and a strong military, making America victorious on all fronts. Thank you.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 1
1.Well I think if you paid attention to the news and the world out there you will that this country is tired of big government welfare policies and government spending that goes off the roof. Not say I will completely dismantle Medicare and Medicaid not to worry what I want to do with the program is too fix it and make sure that it isn’t completely government run and make sure that you can have the choice of having a private and non tax funded type of care if they want it.

I want to see private and smaller business be able to compete and have a chance to have a chance with the big dogs rather than just sit in the of the back of the room.

I’ve talked with people all across the country that want a conservative revolution not in the future but rather now in the year of 1968!. I have been proven to be a champion of Free Enteprise and trade and tax reduction, gun rights and balanced budgets.  I have been proved to be a champion of Liberty and freedom and letting people do what they wanna do.

And I will not be a president for just conservatives I want to be a president for all Americans whenever Conservatives or moderate or liberal.  Let’s not play identity politics here and let’s stick to the facts.

2.I don’t pay attention to polling per say. Those sames polls said once that the war in Vietnam was popular at one point and look what is going on there!!!  We need someone like I said earlier that has a conservative track record and history and someone who has experience to deal with the issues in this country and someone who is the complete opposite of President Lyndon Johnson and has no ties to him what so ever.  

We don’t see someone at the same time whatsoever that pretends and panders to conservatives like us and act like someone they aren’t and unfortunately we are seeing that in this Republican race.  

However I don’t buy it and most of my supporters don’t either. We need a conservative revolution in this party and I am the guy to do so!!

x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »

Case '68! Campaign Schedule for May 1st - May 7th

May 1st - 3th: Ohio

The first three days for the Case campaign was dedicated for the state of Ohio. Case believes he has a good chance to accumulate a fair amount of delegates from this state however, a victory upset seems unlikely. Case campaigned around populous cities such as Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati while also stumping around rural areas from time to time. In the state of Ohio Senator Case touted his support for labor unions and campaigns for workers protection legislation and benefits. Case believes he could be competitive with the working class vote from his performance in the states of Michigan and Pennsylvania. Alongside Senator Case was Governor Jim Rhodes! Case campaigned around Ohio with the Governor whenever possible for event, speeches, and campaign stops. Case believes with his campaigning and the Governor's support that he can earn a fair amount of delegates from the state.

Jim Rhodes's speech announcing his support for Senator Case at Columbus, Ohio
"Well Ohio I think its obvious as to why I am here! Today I am here to say that I will undoubtedly support Senator Case for the Republican Nomination! Right now the party is at a crossroads. The person that we trust for the nomination will have great implications for the future of America! Tonight I say that Ohioans should have trust in someone like Clifford Case! Case has shown his dedication to the workers in this state and has completely proven to the people of Ohio and to the United States that he is the man who can represent their needs! Once the time comes I hope that the same people who have the confidence in myself for Governor can have that same confidence for Case for President of the United States!"

May 4th - 6th: Maryland
Case's next stop was the state of Maryland. He campaigned around the similar issues during Ohio. He stumped around the state as much as possible knowing that he can gain a very strong victory in that state. Alongside Case was also the popular NY Governor Nelson Rockefeller! Case invited the NY Governor to campaign speeches, events, and town halls. Of course Case also had to take a slight detour with campaigning as he had prepared and attend the debate on the 5th. Case believes that he can win a significant amount of delegates from Maryland if he is able to win by a landslide after his campaigning. 

May 7th: Washington D.C.
Washington D.C. would be Senator Case's final stop. Case ended off the week with two rallies in D.C. with Nelson Rockefeller and a town hall. Of course Case will be watching the results coming in from his Washington D.C. headquarters with cautious but hopeful optimism with his campaign staff, supporters, and his family by his side.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »

Goldwater debate answers 2

3.Well I have 5 in mind. The congressman out of Kansas Bob Dole,the Congressman out of Michigan Gerald Ford who I think is a rising star in this party ,Former deputy chief of staff of General Patton and former US general Paul D. Harkins who I think will be best VP to be equied with  foreign matters
The great former Secretary Of the Treasury during the Eisenhower administration Robert B Anderson  who helped balenced the budget and cut spending durning the economic boom of the 50s  and this might shock you but Maine Senator Margent Chase Smith who I think will bring over some independent and moderate voters who are  not that comfortable with me as the Republican nominate

I think those are people I feel are qualified to be my second in command in a Goldwater administration.

4.I think Mr Wallace is a hateful has been in today’s politics.  His type of  narrative and retortic  and tone would divide the country even more!!! His racist authoritarianism is not made for America and such a free republic.   It sounds more like something from a banana Republic than anything else!

5.Senator Gore is running on the same ideas and horrible polices of Lyndon Johnson. He wants to continue the massive spending and raising taxes and keep adding on to our national debt and wants to restrict trade and is a enemy to free enterprise.   However I feel he is weak and I think I can beat him.

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »

May 7th Primaries

Cronkite : "Greeting ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the coverage of the 1968 Presidential May 7th Primaries for both Political Parties, as well as the coverage of the Maryland Caucuses that will decide who gets the Delegates from those states. On the Republican Side, former Secretary of Treasury Dillon battles Former Senator Goldwater and Senator Case and all three candidates have a chance to pick up a win tonight as they battle for Indiana, Maryland, Washington DC, and Ohio. On the Democratic Side, Senator Kennedy finally faces a real challenge as Senator Gore of Tennessee has a chance to win Ohio, Indiana, and the Maryland Caucuses, especially with the endorsement of President Johnson. It's 6 PM in the East and for the Republicans, we can already project that from the Early results, former Senator Goldwater will have an easy Win with an almost 20 % gap between him and former Treasury Secretary Dillon. For the Democrats, Senator Gore has a slim lead over Senator Kennedy, thus meaning this state could be very close."

Indiana Republican Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 51 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 31 %
Clifford P. Case - 18 %

Indiana Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Al Gore - 51 %
Robert Kennedy - 48 %

Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater wins Indiana Republican Presidential Primary (gets 26 Delegates so far)

7 : 12 PM EST

Cronkite : "At 7 : 12 PM EST, Senator Kennedy has taken a slim lead over Senator Gore due to the cities coming in for Kennedy, however, there is 57 % of the vote in, so anything could change."

Indiana Democratic Presidential Primary - 57 % Reporting

Robert Kennedy - 53 %
Al Gore - 46 %

7 : 30 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 7 : 30 PM in the East and Senator Gore has retaken the lead in Indiana and only 32 % of the vote is left to count so anything can change. The polls of Ohio have closed as well and currently Dillon leads for the Republicans and Gore leads for the Democrats, though both have slim leads currently."

Ohio Republican Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 41 %
Barry Goldwater - 32 %
Clifford P. Case - 26 %

Indiana Democratic Presidential Primary - 68 % Reporting

Al Gore - 52 %
Robert Kennedy - 47 %

Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Al Gore - 50 %
Robert Kennedy - 48 %

7 : 56 PM EST

Cronkite : "At 7 : 56 PM EST, with 85 % of the vote in and Gore continuing to gain ground, we can project he will win the Indiana Democratic Primary. In Ohio, for the Democrats, Kennedy now leads 55 % to 44 % with 14 % of the vote in. For the Republicans, Goldwater leads Dillon by 2 % with 18 % in."

Ohio Republican Presidential Primary - 18 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 41 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 39 %
Clifford P. Case - 19 %

Indiana Democratic Presidential Primary - 85 % Reporting

Al Gore - 57 %
Robert Kennedy - 42 %

Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary - 14 % Reporting

Robert Kennedy - 55 %
Al Gore - 44 %

Tennessee Senator Al Gore wins Indiana Democratic Presidential Primary (wins 52 Delegates so far)

8 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 8 PM in the East and Secretary Dillon has retaken the lead in Ohio while Senator Kennedy's lead has gotten somewhat slimmer. Also, the polls in Washington DC have closed and Senators Case and Kennedy will win the primary there for both of their respective parties."

Ohio Republican Presidential Primary - 26 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 45 %
Barry Goldwater - 33 %
Clifford P. Case - 21 %

Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary - 20 % Reporting

Robert Kennedy - 52 %
Al Gore - 47 %

Washington DC Republican Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 62 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 27 %
Barry Goldwater - 10 %

New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case wins Washington DC Republican Presidential Primary (wins 7 Delegates so Far)
Washington DC Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Robert F. Kennedy - 71 %
Al Gore - 28 %

New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins Washington DC Democratic Presidential Primary (wins 4 Delegates so Far)
8 : 41 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 8 : 41 PM EST and we can project that New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy will win the Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary and Maryland Caucuses. For the Republicans, Former Treasury Secretary Dillon begins to gain a bigger lead over former Senator Goldwater with 69 % of the vote in."

Ohio Republican Presidential Primary - 69 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 47 %
Barry Goldwater - 31 %
Clifford P. Case - 21 %

Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary - 65 % Reporting

Robert Kennedy - 58 %
Al Gore - 41 %

New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins Ohio Democratic Presidential Primary and Maryland Democratic Caucuses (Wins 37 Delegates from Maryland and 73 Delegates from Ohio) [Wins 114 Delegates Tonight]
9 : 11 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 9 : 11 PM in the East and we can project that with 97 % of the vote in, Secretary Dillon will win the Ohio Republican Primary while Senator Case will win the Maryland Republican Caucuses."

Ohio Republican Presidential Primary - 97 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 44 %
Barry Goldwater - 28 %
Clifford P. Case - 27 %

Former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts wins Ohio Republican Presidential Primary (Wins 29 Delegates from Ohio and 8 From Maryland, 2 from DC) [Wins 49 Delegates Tonight]

New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case wins Maryland Republican Caucuses (Wins 12 Delegates from Maryland and 7 Delegates from Ohio) [Wins 26 Delegates Tonight]

Presidential Primaries thus Far, 1968

Republicans :

Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 113 Delegates
Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts - 109 Delegates
Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 107 Delegates
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 44 Delegates
Former Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania - 16 Delegates
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 12 Delegates

667 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
1333 Delegates in Total

Democrats :

Senator Al Gore of Tennessee - 730 Delegates
Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 635 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 21 Delegates
Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota - 9 Delegates
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota - 5 Delegates

1304 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
2607 Delegates in Total
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »

Turn VIII

May 8th-14th

Nebraska and West Virginia Primaries

On May 14th, the States of Nebraska and West Virginia will hold their Presidential Primaries while Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Colorado, and Arkansas will hold their own caucuses to see who to support (Kentucky, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Arkansas have already announced support for Gore for the Democrats, but there is no such case for the Republicans). Goldwater is strong in both states as well as most of the Caucus States, but the moderate message of Dillon and Populist Anti-War message of Case could perhaps force Goldwater into a losing situation where he loses some of the states for the Republicans. On the Democratic Side, West Virginia is considered solid Gore Territory so Senator Kennedy has been recommended to focus on the remaining Caucus States and Nebraska and hope to catch up Gore before his lead becomes unbeatable.

Gore still leads for Democrats; Republicans have Close Race

After the May 7th Primaries, one could assume that the Primaries were both in their end game phases as on the Republican side, Senator Case holds a tenuous lead as Delegate Leader, leading Former Treasury Secretary Dillon by 4 Delegates and Former Senator Goldwater by 6, thus meaning that something needs to change quickly if Case wants to consolidate his position as the strongest candidate for 1968. On the other side, Senator Gore leads Senator Kennedy by 95 Delegates, though his exhaustion of possible states to win could allow Senator Kennedy to take the lead quite soon.

One million march through the streets of Paris

Within Paris, A Million students have protested and rioted in the streets in order to bring about a new Snap Election in France to see if the French Socialists and Communists take control. Whether or not it will be successful remains unknown.

Republicans Nationally :

Dillon : 35 %
Case : 33 %
Goldwater : 30 %
Undecided : 2 %

Despite having a Delegate lead, Case trails Dillon by 2 % in recent polls and even worse for the Republican Front-runner, Former Arizona Senator and 1964 Republican Presidential Nominee Barry Goldwater only trails him by 3 % due to his recent pickup of Indiana and his increased strength from seemingly out of nowhere. With the walls closing in, How can Case be able to survive and keep his position of Front Runner?

Democrats Nationally :

Kennedy : 55 %
Gore : 42 %
Undecided : 3%

Despite Senator Kennedy having a 13 % lead Nationwide, the race remains tight as neither Candidate can have a clear advantage. With three victories on May 7th as opposed to Gore's one, Kennedy does have momentum but it is unlikely that will do much for the next round of primaries and Caucuses, though should Senator Kennedy win Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado in landslides, he could retake the lead from Gore and have a clear path to the Nomination by winning all the remaining states by large margins. Whether this is possible, though, remains unknown.

President Johnson Approval Rating

Disapprove: 46%
Approve: 40%
Unsure/No Opinion: 14%

General Election Polls

Dillon v Kennedy v Wallace

C. Douglas Dillon : 46 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 42 %
George Wallace : 10 %
Undecided : 2 %

Case v Kennedy v Wallace

Robert F. Kennedy : 47 %
Clifford P. Case : 38 %
George Wallace : 10 %
Undecided : 5 %

Goldwater v Kennedy v Wallace

Robert F. Kennedy : 49 %
Barry Goldwater : 34 %
George Wallace : 7 %
Undecided : 10 %

Moderator's notes : This turn will last until Monday afternoon, January 7th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. (long turn due to Christmas being quite soon) Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Debates can be crafted but a Player first have to challenge all his opponents in the Primary and they all have to agree to said Debate and where said Debate will take place. Once the details are hammered out, I will have the Debate ready for the next Turn.

This turn will last from May 7th to the Nebraska and West Virginia Primaries on May 14th. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

The State Polling will be posted later.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »

State Polls

Republicans :

Nebraska

Goldwater : 43 %
Dillon : 29 %
Case : 23 %

West Virginia

Goldwater : 55 %
Dillon : 32 %
Case : 10 %
Undecided : 3 %

Democrats :

Nebraska

Gore : 47 %
Kennedy : 45 %
Undecided : 8 %

West Virginia

Gore : 83 %
Kennedy : 12 %
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2018, 06:48:07 PM by Jaguar4life »

Goldwater Anti Vietnam War campaign ad that airs nationwide
*A middle age lady walks out very somber and holds up a picture of what turns out to be her son*

Lady:This is my son Johnny he was fighting in Vietnam for the United States Army. In July of 1967 he was KIA in a ambush by the Vietcong in Tuy Hòa. *She starts to tearup a bit*. He had a bright future and was had a deal to play college baseball but he unfortunately never had the chance.

And I am sad and sicken by the foreign policy of Douglas Dillion who wants to send more kids like him into this mess of a war and  continue the same polices Of President Johnson  and have them end up like my Johnny.

However Barry Goldwater wants to put the end to this horrible event and lead the United States out of this So please America vote with your heart and vote for Goldwater.

Voiceover:Vote Barry for a golden America.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »

Dillon's « Unelectable » Campaign Ad airs in Nebraska, West Virginia, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Colorado, Arkansas, Florida, Oregon, South Dakota, California and Illinois

So for the sake of a Republican victory in 1968, vote for C. Douglas Dillon, the only candidate who can defeat Robert F. Kennedy and lead us to a bright, prosperous and strong America.

C. Douglas Dillon : I'm C. Douglas Dillon and I approve this message.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

Goldwater campaign update
Goldwater calls for a debate with Douglas Dillon and Cilford Case in Bluefield West Virginia
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »

Dillon’s statement

I accept Goldwater’s request. All the American people deserves to hear our ideas for America’s future and in this Democratic process, an additional debate will be beneficial for our democracy.
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2018, 01:55:45 PM »

Case '68! Campaign Schedule for May 8th- May 14th

May 8th - 10th: Virginia
In order to consolidate his lead and survive the primary, Case has decided to initiate a multi state tour throughout the various states that will be voting soon. His first stop will be in Virginia. Case campaigned vigorously in this state holding various town halls, rallies, and a campaign ad. Case targets the cities of Richmond, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, & Alexandria. As well as making stops through rural areas whenever possible. Case is hoping to make an appeal to suburbanites as well as moderate republicans and independents through these efforts. For good measure Case has also decided to pay for an ad in the form of a wide billboard in the Virginia Beach area.

Newly bought billboard Case ad in the Virginia Beach area

May 11th - 12th: Kansas
The next state that is in Case's radar is Kansas. Case is hoping that a similar strategy deployed in Virginia can find success in a state like Kansas. Case attempts to strike a balance between campaigning in rural and populous cities and areas while also discussing issues that are more bipartisan in nature as well as focusing on local issues more important to the people in this state such as agriculture and the environment. The cities that Case focuses on include ones such as Wichita, Topeka, and Kansas City. Case of course holds as many rallies and town halls as often as he can within such a short time frame. Alongside Case is the Senator of Kansas, James B. Pearson! Case believes that Pearson's support and presence for the campaign will better help to appeal to Kansans in the state along with Pearson's mix of moderate views as a Republican.

Senator James B. Pearson's speech supporting Case in Wichita, Kansas
"I am glad to be here today in front of all of you. The next round of voting for this primary will be crucial and will be a determining factor for the party's future. Today I hope that Kansans across the state can put their faith in Senator Clifford Case! After campaigning with Case I believe Case has what it takes to serve the interests of Kansas and the United States of America! We know that Clifford Case has a chance in the general as opposed to another certain candidate. Case campaigning on the issues that are important for Kansans such as farming and agriculture instead of national politics shows that he is trustworthy of the support from Kansans all over! I hope that you can vote Case once voting begins and I will continue pushing for a Case victory in Kansas!"

May 13th - 14th: Nebraska
The final state for the Case campaign will be the state of Nebraska. While polling suggests that it will be a long shot victory for the NJ Senator, Case is hoping that he can turn things around in the state. In order to do so he hits on the cities of Omaha, Lincoln, and a mix of rural cities. Case campaigns on local issues of more importance to Nebraskans instead of national issues just like in Kansas. Case begins by holding multiple rallies in populous and rural cities speaking about farming, agriculture, and poverty. He holds town halls in various cities to answer as many questions from all kinds of locals from the state. As an effort to gain more trust & credibility among Nebraskans Case tours around the state accompanied by the Governor of the State and an early supporter Norbert Tiemann, and a new supporter, the Senator of Kansas, Roman Hruska! Case ended off the campaigning for the week holding a rally in Omaha with the two Nebraska politicians and of course waiting for the results with optimism.

Senator Hruska's speech supporting Case at Omaha, Nebraska
"As we are all very aware voting will begin soon and who this state chooses to support will mean so much for the future. Which is why I ask that all concerned Nebraskans throw their support for Clifford Case! Despite our differences with the issues I believe Case is an individual who will be best suited for the White House. His relationship with Republicans both Conservative, liberal, and moderate make him well versed to unite the party. I believe Case is someone who can work effectively for Nebraskans because during the time Case has spent campaigning in Nebraska he never disregarded the opinions of folks around this state. Even if they were opinions he disagreed with. Which is why I am proud to vote for Case because he will never ignore the issues of Nebraska and the entirety of the United States! Thank you!"
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Wallace will campaign in West Virginia on how Blacks takes jobs

Wallace promises if Senator Gore wins the Democratic Nomination he will drop out
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule

May 8
-Meet with voters in Omaha, Nebraska
-Energy policy speech in Omaha, Nebraska
-Economic policy speech in Omaha, Nebraska
-Foreign policy speech at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska
-Meet with voters in Lincoln, Nebraska
-Tax cut policy speech in Lincoln, Nebraska
-Trade policy speech in Lincoln, Nebraska
-Health care policy speech in Lincoln, Nebraska
-Civil rights policy speech in Lincoln, Nebraska
-Meet with voters in Bellevue, Nebraska
-Gun rights policy speech in Bellevue, Nebraska
-Meet with voters in Grand Island, Nebraska

May 9
-Meet with voters in Denver, Colorado
-Economic policy speech in Denver, Colorado
-Immigration policy speech in Denver, Colorado
-Meet with college voters at the University of Denver in Denver, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Colorado Springs, Colorado
-National defense policy speech at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colorado
-Civil Rights policy speech in Colorado Springs, Colorado
-Education policy speech in Colorado Springs, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Pueblo, Colorado
-Health care policy speech in Pueblo, Colorado
-Energy policy speech in Pueblo, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Grand Junction, Colorado
-Town hall meeting with voters in Grand Junction,Colorado
-Meet with voters in Alamosa, Colorado

May 10
-Meet with voters in Memphis, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Civil rights policy speech at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee :

Here we are, at the Lorraine Motel where Dr. Martin Luther King has been assassinated. We have to remember that his fight for the expansion of civil rights is not in vain. Thanks to this fight, segregation is abolished, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin and prohibits unequal application of voter registration requirements, racial segregation in schools, employment, and public accommodations. And the Voting Rights Act of 1965 prohibits racial discrimination in voting. May Dr. King rest in peace.

Of course, more has yet to be done to fight racism and that's why I will be President for all Americans, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Christian, Protestant, Muslim, Jew unlike George Wallace who is running to be leader for just a faction of our great and united people. Because no matter your color, your origin, your religion or your political beliefs we are all Americans first. But George Wallace is a segregationist disconnected from reality who is playing the politics of fear. In addition, he promised to drop out of the race if Albert Gore, another supporter of segregation, wins the Democratic nomination, which shows that not only George Wallace is an extremist but he is also just another big government tax hike liberal who is ready to help Gore to impose his big government agenda that will raise taxes on all the American people, kill jobs and diminish free enterprise.

Throughout this campaign, the only thing Governor Wallace talks about is the ridiculous idea that Blacks take jobs. The only thing that Governor Wallace wants to do is to scare people. He's proposing nothing on the economy, nothing on foreign policy, nothing on social issues, he doesn't have the courage to clean up corruption in government. He just wants to scare people. Don't let Governor Wallace fool you. The moreover that despite the fact that he is opposing the granting of civil rights to African Americans, he selected Happy Chandler as his running mate even though Chandler supported the hiring of of Jackie Robinson, an African-American, by the Brooklyn Dodgers during his time as commissioner of baseball.

So Tennessee, I'm asking for your vote both in the primary and in the general election because if I'm the nominee, you will all have your candidate to unite the American people and make our society freer, fairer and more prosperous for all Americans.

-Free enterprise policy speech in Memphis, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Social security policy speech in Memphis, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Meet with voters in Nashville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Tax policy speech in Nashville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Meet with college voters at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Foreign policy speech in Nashville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Town hall meeting with voters at Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tennessee
-Meet with voters in Knoxville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Energy policy speech in Knoxville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Agriculture policy speech in Knoxville, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Meet with voters in Chattanooga, Tennessee with Howard Baker
-Manufacturing policy speech in Chattanooga, Tennessee with Howard Baker

May 11
-Meet with voters in Morgantown, West Virginia
-Tax cut policy speech in Morgantown, West Virginia
-Education policy speech in Morgantown, West Virginia
-Meet with voters in Huntington, West Virginia
-Foreign policy speech in Huntington, West Virginia
-Infrastructure policy speech in Huntington, West Virginia
-Health care policy speech in Huntington, West Virginia
-Meet with voters in Charleston, West Virginia
-Economic policy speech in Charleston, West Virginia
-Coal policy speech in Charleston, West Virginia :

Instead of doing whatever it takes to get America to energy independence, the Democrats running for President will rather keep imposing such burdensome regulations on the energy industry that started a decline of America's coal industry through shipping coal mining jobs overseas by getting coal factories to bankruptcy. But America's energy independence is necessary not only for our prosperity but also for our national security. Thanks to energy independence, we will take the advantage over the Soviets instead of increasingly giving them the revenues they need to overpower us economically and militarily through our dependence on foreign oil, including countries allied to the Soviet Union. So as President of the United States, I will work hard to get America to energy independence by reducing taxes and regulations on our energy industry, encouraging the development of clean coal technologies and making sure that America will take the advantage on all of its sources of energies whether it's oil, gas, coal, solar, wind, etc. That way, we will reinforce both our prosperity and our security and make America strong.

May 12
-Meet with voters in Virginia Beach, Virginia
-Economic policy speech in Virginia Beach, Virginia
-Free trade policy speech in Virginia Beach, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Norfolk, Virginia
-Foreign policy speech at Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, Virginia
-Health care policy speech in Norfolk, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Chesapeake, Virginia
-Tax cut policy speech in Chesapeake, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Richmond, Virginia
-Free enterprise policy speech in Richmond, Virginia
-Space policy speech in Richmond, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Newport News, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Alexandria, Virginia
-National defense policy speech in Alexandria, Virginia
-Meet with voters in Arlington, Virginia
-Vietnam War policy speech in Arlington, Virginia
-Civil Rights policy speech in Arlington, Virginia

May 13
-Meet with voters in Charlotte, North Carolina
-Economic policy speech in Charlotte, North Carolina
-Foreign policy speech in Charlotte, North Carolina
-Civil Rights policy speech in Charlotte, North Carolina
-Education policy speech in Charlotte, North Carolina
-Meet with voters in Raleigh, North Carolina
-Energy policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina
-Health care policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina
-Infrastructure policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina
-Immigration policy speech in Raleigh, North Carolina
-Meet with voters in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Space policy speech in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Trade policy speech in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Civil rights policy speech in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Meet with voters in Durham, North Carolina
-National defense policy speech in Durham, North Carolina
-Meet with voters in Winston-Salem, North Carolina

May 14
-GOTV efforts in Nebraska, West Virginia, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Colorado and Arkansas
-Watch the primary results at Dillon's victory party
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2018, 04:49:24 AM »

Barry Goldwater town hall in Raleigh North Carolina

Question 1:Mr Goldwater I saw your Johnny advertisement it’s very powerful stuff and makes you wonder how people that worked for Washington are.  However people are saying it’s a personal attack on Douglas Dillion what do you say about that?

Goldwater:Well those attacks are not rather personally but more of criticism. We need a conservative in the White House not someone who is bought out by the special industry and money and presents to be conservative for show.   We need someone who has been proven time after time to fight for conservativism and change and for free markets rather than be just some regular politician.

It’s not 1964 anyone and I think people have woken up and changed and that is why I am so  confident with my campaign.

Question 2:Views on the gun control debate in this country even since the  assassination Of Martin Luther King?

Goldwater:Well it’s not a gun problem it’s a mental health problem.  The majority of gun owners would never do something like this and it is sicken to see people like the Democrats think that way.  As President I want to repeal the unconstitutional National Firearms Act as it is in violation of the 2nd amendment and I want to make sure that for people that want to get into firearm training that we start doing gun safety classes that will help people with a grasp of what it is like with a firearm ya know?

So yes if you a big 2nd amendment guy then I am your man.

Question 2:Thank you sir you have my vote!

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2018, 09:35:00 AM by UWS »

C. Douglas Dillon's response to Barry Goldwater in Roanoke, Virginia
So, Senator Goldwater claims that I'm presenting to be conservative for show. This is just wrong.

When I was Secretary of Treasury, I architected President Kennedy's tax cuts, one of the boldest tax cut policies in history, and worked hard to promote these tax cuts that encouraged job creation and increased wages for American workers, ensured an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, brought the inflation down to 1 %, reduced the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, allowed a rise of industrial production by 15 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. I also played an important role in securing presidential power for reciprocal tariff reductions under the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. I also played a role in crafting the Revenue Act of 1962, which established a 7 percent tax credit to spur industrial growth.

And let me remind you, Senator, that I'm endorsed by Ronald Reagan, one of the most conservative governors in America.

So conservatives truly have a voice in C. Douglas Dillon. Meanwhile, Senator Goldwater made one of the worst electoral performances ever for a GOP nominee four years ago and lost in a landslide by 22 percentage points to President Johnson and even almost lost his own home state of Arizona. Why? Because he opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and suggested that nuclear weapons should be used in Vietnam and also advocated that field commanders in Vietnam should be given the authority to use tactical nuclear weapons even without presidential confirmation. So if you want a real conservative with a proven record and able to bring the conservative movement together, the choice is C. Douglas Dillon, not Barry Goldwater.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »

Wallace will campaign in West Virginia
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »

Goldwater campaign updates part 2

Goldwater campaigned on withdrawing from Vietnam in Tennessee and North Carolina and gun rights and called out the racism of George Wallace in the same areas.

Goldwater also went to Arkansas and campaigned on why he is the best candidate for free enterprise and respecting the constitution and Amercia’s future in Southeast Asia.

Goldwater also went to Colorado and talked about free trade and talked about his flat tax plan which would remove all taxes proposed and put in My the Johnson administration.

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2019, 11:47:18 PM »

Goldwater speaks on budget issues in Memphis Tennessee

One of the most important things of this election I think is the budget for Amercia.

We spend too much on the milltary and what seems to be a endless war in Vietnam.   I fully believe our role in Vietnam should be in support only not in any major combat role.  I will take that money that we have been spending and put it towards space exploration by getting not just a man on the moon but one on Mars and possibly a moon colony in the future.

As a Veteran of war I don’t want to see young kids with bright futures fall away because of war.
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »

Case '68! Televised Ad: "Our American Unity"
Playing in the states of North Carolina, Virginia, California, Nebraska, Illinois, Oregon, Kansas, and New Jersey

Case: "During my time in both chambers I had always worked with Senators of all types of ideological stripes and to this day I continue to do so. Whether you were a conservative or liberal never truly mattered. The only thing that mattered was your sense of duty to help all Americans."

Case: "This is the message I wish to express for Americans all over. Ever since I started this campaign I have had the utmost pleasure to meet with Americans of all stripes. From states like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Illinois, Nebraska, and Virginia. Since day one I have always wanted this campaign to be for unity and today I wish to emphasize that very premise."

"I do not wish to be a President for a specific set of people. I wish to be a president for all Americans. Whether you are a conservative or liberal has no bearing on my wish to serve all of you to the best of my ability. This is the beauty of a campaign. Its not the candidates but the people who rally around the candidates that counts."

"When voting arrives please consider what is at stake in this election. Please consider that we as Americans can be unified as a people who are bounded by the patriotism and love for this great country. Thank you all and god bless you."

Case: "My name is Clifford Case and I approve this message."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 8: Kennedy welcomed the backing of additional liberal support on this day from the former Governor of California Pat Brown, but perhaps more importantly, he netted the support of John Moran Bailey, the powerful Democratic National Committee chairman. Bailey, an ardent New Deal liberal whose support will be key in rallying the other caucus states to his side.

He also held a major rally in Omaha, Nebraska, declaring he would defend farm subsidies and more. He also visited multiple rural towns in an attempt to rally support from there as well as visiting Omaha's poorer suburbs.

May 9-11: Kennedy focused on meeting with party bosses from the remaining caucus states along with Vice President Humphrey, Mayor Daley and Chairman Bailey, emphasising Gore's waffling on the Presidential nomination, and arguing that Gore's statement that he wouldn't accept the nomination would throw the convention into chaos.

May 12: Kennedy and his allies campaigned in Oregon this day, meeting with students, civil rights activists and workers. Largely, he hit his usual campaign notes of ending the war in Vietnam, increasing civil rights legislation. He also continued to make efforts to appear with his former opponent Eugene McCarthy, sparking rumours of a potential cabinet job for the Minnesota Senator.

May 13-14: These two days saw resources focused on California as Kennedy made every effort to appear with former governor Brown and labor leaders in the state, as well as meeting with student and civil rights leaders in the state. He focused on his message of pro-worker rhetoric as well as calling for a halt to bombing in Vietnam and beginning negotiations. He also declared this challenge:

"Senator Gore can make whatever noise he wants about me. If he wants to be taken seriously, then I challenge him to a debate right here in California."

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

May 14th Primaries

Cronkite : "Greeting ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the coverage of the 1968 Presidential May 14th Primaries for both Political Parties, as well as the coverage of the Republican Caucuses in Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Arkansas and the Caucuses of both parties in Kansas and Colorado that will decide who gets the Delegates from those states. On the Republican Side, Delegate Front-runner Clifford P. Case of New Jersey is likely to lose his lead in Delegate count to either the former Arizona Senator and 1964 Republican Presidential Nominee Barry Goldwater or the former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts. On the Democratic side, it looks to be a good night for Senator Kennedy as he has been given a unique chance to finally catch up to Senator Gore after the South's pre-emptive move to deny him the chance of the Nomination. It's currently 7 :30 PM in the East and the polls in West Virginia has closed. For the Democrats, Senator Gore will have an easy win, allowing him to bring home all 28 Delegates from the state while for the Republicans, a battle is brewing as Senator Goldwater battles Former Secretary Treasury Dillion for victory with Senator Goldwater leading Dillion by 12 % so far."

West Virginia Presidential Republican Primary - 1 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 51 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 39 %
Clifford P. Case - 9 %

West Virginia Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Al Gore - 97 %
Robert F. Kennedy - 2 %

Tennessee Senator Al Gore wins West Virginia Democratic Presidential Primary (wins 28 Delegates so far)

7 : 54 PM EST

Cronkite : "24 minutes after the first polls closed in West Virginia, Former Treasury Secretary Dillon has taken a lead from former Senator Goldwater with 21 % of the vote in due to the panhandle and the Southern part of the state coming in heavily for him. He now has a 7 % lead over Goldwater."

West Virginia Presidential Republican Primary - 21 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 49 %
Barry Goldwater - 42 %
Clifford P. Case - 8 %

8 : 29 PM EST

Cronkite : "35 minutes has passed since the last report and, with 45 % of the vote in as more and more counties begin to come in, Barry Goldwater retakes the lead as he builds in the bulge center of the state, where there are plenty of votes to get. He now has a 15 % lead over Dillon in this state."

West Virginia Presidential Republican Primary - 45 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 51 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 36 %
Clifford P. Case - 12 %

8 : 47 PM EST

Cronkite : "18 Minutes and with 71 % of the vote in, Dillon has retaken a slim lead of 4 % over Goldwater. with 35 % of the vote left to count, we can only imagine the ability for Goldwater has left for this state."

West Virginia Presidential Republican Primary - 71 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 49 %
Barry Goldwater - 45 %
Clifford P. Case - 5 %

8 : 56 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's now 4 minutes from the polls closing in Nebraska and we have a special projection. With 93 % of the vote in and after keeping a newly gained steady lead over his opponents, Barry will win the West Virginia Republican Presidential Primary with 50 % of the vote to Dillon's 46 % and Case's 3 %. Thus, he will take home 9 Delegates while Dillon will take home the remaining 5."

West Virginia Presidential Republican Primary - 93 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 50 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 46 %
Clifford P. Case - 3 %

Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater wins West Virginia Republican Presidential Primary (wins 9 Delegates so far)

9 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's now 9 PM in the East and the state of Nebraska has closed its polls. The first few results are coming in for both parties and it's looking to be a tight race. Currently, Omaha is the only place reporting and Senators Case and Kennedy on both sides have a large lead, with Senator Case leading by 19 % and Senator Kennedy leading by 35 %. Good news for both of them for now, but it's doubtful that this will continue."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 1 % Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 47 %
Barry Goldwater - 28 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 24 %

Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Robert F. Kennedy - 67 %
Al Gore - 32 %

9 : 11 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 9 : 11 PM in the east and with more results coming in, the tide has turned against Kennedy and Case as for the Democrats, Gore has a 19 % lead while for the Republicans, Goldwater leads Dillion by 9 %. This race has now ramped up and hopefully, it will continue late into the night."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 11 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 47 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 38 %
Clifford P. Case - 14 %

Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary - 14 % Reporting

Al Gore - 59 %
Robert F. Kennedy - 40 %

9 : 47 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's now 9 : 47 PM in the East and on the Republican side, Dillion has taken the lead while on the Democratic side, Kennedy has regained it. there is 30 % of the vote in on the Republican side and 49 % of the vote in on the Democratic side, so plenty of vote left to count."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 30 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 46 %
Barry Goldwater - 40 %
Clifford P. Case - 13 %

Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary - 49 % Reporting

Robert F. Kennedy - 56 %
Al Gore - 43 %

10 : 22 PM EST

Cronkite : "At 10:22 PM in the East, with 52 % of the vote in for the Republicans and 71 % of the vote in for Democrats, Goldwater and Gore has retaken the lead in Nebraska, but as the vote count shrinks, it looks to be a near photo finish. Can Dillion and Kennedy make a comeback is the question now."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 30 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater - 48 %
C. Douglas Dillon - 39 %
Clifford P. Case - 12 %

Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary - 49 % Reporting

Al Gore - 52 %
Robert F. Kennedy - 47 %

10 : 56 PM EST

Cronkite : "34 Minutes after we last came to you with a report and now we can make a projection for the Democrats. With 96 % of the vote in, Senator Kennedy will defeat Gore by 4 % or more, giving him 32 Delegates tonight to bring home. He will also win the Democratic Caucuses in Kansas and Colorado, giving him another 72 Delegates, meaning he's won 104 Delegates tonight. That means that Senator Kennedy is within striking distance of Senator Gore from retaking the Delegate lead as only 23 Delegates separate them. However, a brokered Democratic Convention has not been prevented yet as 1071 Delegates remain for the Democrats, meaning that while one of the two could get the Nomination before the Convention, it is unlikely. For the Republicans, with 81 % of the vote in, Dillion has retaken the lead, leading Goldwater by 10 %. How long that continues for will be unknown."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 81 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 45 %
Barry Goldwater - 35 %
Clifford P. Case - 19 %

Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary - 96 % Reporting

Robert F. Kennedy - 53 %
Al Gore - 46 %

New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins Nebraska Democratic Presidential Primary and Kansas and Colorado Democratic Caucuses (wins 104 Delegates tonight)

11 : 17 PM EST

Cronkite : "It's 11 : 17 PM in the East and we have a final projection. With 94 % of the vote in, C. Douglas Dillion will win the Republican Presidential Primary in Nebraska and all of its 16 Delegates with 44 % of the vote to Goldwater 37 % and Case's 18 %. For the Caucuses, Goldwater wins in Arkansas (all 18 Delegates), Virginia (16 Delegates go to him, 8 to Dillion), Oklahoma (18 Delegates to him, 4 to Dillion), and Kentucky (19 Delegates to him, 5 to Dillion), while Dillion wins the Tennessee (all 28 Delegates), North Carolina (15 Delegates to him, 11 to Goldwater), and Kansas (all 20 Delegates) caucuses, and Case wins the Colorado Caucus (12 Delegates to him, 4 to Dillion, and 2 to Goldwater). This means Dillion will win 105 Delegates tonight, Goldwater will win 93 Delegates tonight and Case will win 12 Delegates tonight. This means that tonight rounds out with Dillion now being the Delegate leader and Case being relegated to third place as Dillion now has 214 Delegates, Goldwater 200, and Case 125. Dillion isn't out of the woods yet, as Goldwater is only 14 Delegates behind him. Now, the races have heated up once more. Thank you for watching and we hope you tune in for the May 28th Primaries. Thank you and Good Night."

Nebraska Presidential Republican Primary - 94 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillon - 44 %
Barry Goldwater - 37 %
Clifford P. Case - 18 %

Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts wins Nebraska Republican Presidential Primary and Kansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee Caucuses (Wins 105 Delegates tonight)

Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater wins Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Virginia Caucuses (wins 93 Delegates tonight)

New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case wins Colorado Republican Caucuses (wins 12 Delegates tonight

Presidential Primaries so Far, 1968

Republicans :

Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts - 214 Delegates
Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 200 Delegates
Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 125 Delegates
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 44 Delegates
Former Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania - 16 Delegates
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 12 Delegates

667 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
1333 Delegates in Total

Democrats :

Senator Al Gore of Tennessee - 762 Delegates
Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 739 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 21 Delegates
Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota - 9 Delegates
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota - 5 Delegates

1304 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
2607 Delegates in Total
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »

Case Addresses supporters after results:
Campaign HQ in Newark, New Jersey

Case: "I am so grateful that many of you are gathered here today. Tonight's results were certainly a game changer for the campaign as you would expect. Reporters have already been asking as to whether or not I will concede after tonight's showing. Today I am here to say that we aren't going anywhere! Our campaign will continue and persist regardless as to how many times the odds are stacked against us. We believe that we have a duty as a campaign and as a movement to offer an alternate choice to the people across the state. We even saw that tonight with the state of Colorado who's support from the people I am grateful for! Our campaign represents too big of a base for us to drop out of the race. We will continue to move forward onto the states that will matter in this primary and where good minded Americans will have a say! Thank you and god bless you!"
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »

Goldwater victory speech in Pheniox Arizona

I like to thank the people in West Virginia Arkansas,Kentucky Oklahoma And Virgina showing that Amercia wants and needs a conservative change!!!
*Crowd cheers*

While the other speak to the big money and the war hawks I am here speaking to you guys the working people who I think make Amercia great!!!

We need a Conservative revolution in this country that takes no for answer and a president who cares for the people and can take on the agenda of Kennedy or Gore and lead this revolution all the way to Washington!  Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies