White supremacists mobilize to suppress minority vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:38:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  White supremacists mobilize to suppress minority vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: White supremacists mobilize to suppress minority vote  (Read 1819 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »

Why is no one on the left organizing counter mobilization to watch for voter intimidation?

I like to think that we're better than such thuggery.

The hell? How is watching for thuggery thuggery?
Because this is the job of law enforcement? An armed vigilante is a thug no matter their ideology.

It's literally not the job of law enforcement: that's part of the reason the RNC consent decree exists in the first place. Law enforcement is tasked with intervening only after reports of misconduct are filed that cannot be resolved amicably...which can only be done thoroughly in the first place if you have sanctioned poll watchers at as many precincts as possible. Nobody is saying anything about "armed vigiliantes" or "thugs" except you.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »

Why is no one on the left organizing counter mobilization to watch for voter intimidation?

Because this is the job of law enforcement? An armed vigilante is a thug no matter their ideology.

It's literally not the job of law enforcement: that's part of the reason the RNC consent decree exists in the first place. Law enforcement is tasked with intervening only after reports of misconduct are filed that cannot be resolved amicably...which can only be done thoroughly in the first place if you have sanctioned poll watchers at as many precincts as possible. Nobody is saying anything about "armed vigiliantes" or "thugs" except you.

But you must agree that the terms "mobilization" and "counter-mobilization" do carry the connotations of vigilante violence. I am likely reading into this way too much and am interpreting it in a way that is incorrect, and I am willing to admit that I could be way off base on this. But the concept of private, politically-motivated groups mobilizing and going to the polls is really something that does not bode well whatsoever.

On the subject of law enforcement, that really is a shame that this a case. There ought to be a bipartisan, public group that oversees elections. Something along the lines of U.N. observers, but employed and funded by the Federal government.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »

But you must agree that the terms "mobilization" and "counter-mobilization" do carry the connotations of vigilante violence. I am likely reading into this way too much and am interpreting it in a way that is incorrect, and I am willing to admit that I could be way off base on this. But the concept of private, politically-motivated groups mobilizing and going to the polls is really something that does not bode well whatsoever.

On the subject of law enforcement, that really is a shame that this a case. There ought to be a bipartisan, public group that oversees elections. Something along the lines of U.N. observers, but employed and funded by the Federal government.

Republicans would be claiming that the bipartisan, public group was biased against Trump and rigging the election, and that they need poll watchers to make sure said group doesn't do it. You know they would.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »

Republicans would be claiming that the bipartisan, public group was biased against Trump and rigging the election, and that they need poll watchers to make sure said group doesn't do it. You know they would.

Oh of course they would! They can claim whatever they damn well please, but as long as a governmental agency or some form of law enforcement ensures that the elections are fair and free, it doesn't matter what they claim.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »

Guys, do you seriously think a bunch of pasty basement dwelling 4channers are going to be able to intimidate some 6'4" 250 pound black guy?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »

I thought the Black Panthers have recently been revived? 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/suppress-black-vote-trump-campaign-230616

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/02/500352353/kkk-paper-endorses-trump-campaign-calls-outlet-repulsive

And apparently Hillary is rigging the election. Seriously, alt-right Trump supporters are literally every stereotype perpetuated about Americans ever.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »

#MAWA
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

We're going to need Poll Watcher Watchers.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »

Surely we could ask ChairmanSanchez to reconsider.  Voter intimidation is unethical.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »

So, since African American turnout in early voting is down and the result is completely up in the air as the polls continue to tighten, is this going to be the canard for the next for years if you lose? Or is it the Russians? Or are the Russians arming these guys?

I'm just saying, I drove by the public housing community center where I vote in the heart of Frenchtown on my way back from dropping my friend off to get his car from the towing company and all I saw were two elderly black women resting in folding chairs under a tree and one white kid about my age walking inside.

I did, however, see CNN anchors and their round panel of experts basically telling me that the election was over and that I shouldn't even bother to vote about this time last last week when the Clintonslide was well underway and the board was dominated with "Can Hillary flip TX?" threads.

Surely we could ask ChairmanSanchez to reconsider.  Voter intimidation is unethical.
Attacking me isn't going to make your candidate win. Why don't you try convincing someone to support her if you can. I'm sure your arguments will be rusty since most Clinton supporters I knew gave up on that a while ago, but hey, there are five days left, do whatever you want.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »

Attacking me isn't going to make your candidate win. Why don't you try convincing someone to support her if you can. I'm sure your arguments will be rusty since most Clinton supporters I knew gave up on that a while ago, but hey, there are five days left, do whatever you want.

Try not to hurt anybody on Election Day, okay?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »

This isn't intimidation. This is what the SA did when Hitler was elected Chancellor.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »

I'll be on the lookout when I vote. I bet there won't be any at my precinct.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »

Try not to hurt anybody on Election Day, okay?
Assuming I don't get violently beaten or killed by you one of you during your spontaneous moments of violent rage, sure.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »

FWIW, if a movement mobilized and used Gestapo tactics to swing an election (which isn't happening here), frankly I'd much rather it be from a bunch of people who admire the Gestapo. The Black Lives Matter movement, which I think I have a lot of common cause with as a libertarian-ish guy, is far, far more valuable and worth keeping clean in the long term. I'd hate to see BLM go down the same route as the Tea Party/Occupy movements, which basically have been tarred by the American electorate collectively as ideological cranks.

Considering BLM has used creative disruption as a way to protest, I worried that some rogue chapters would go to suburban precincts and not let anyone vote period. In a way, their protest would make sense: how can America pretend to be a democracy when so many are marginalized by the political class and various corrupt elements in law enforcement. Frankly, I'd be happy to see my political rival tarred by a handful neo-Nazis trying to organize this over Twitter through memes. You'd think the red avatars here would celebrate considering how much they post about how Hillary can still win if they bribe or bully potentially faithless electors and what have you.

Remember when Roger Stone, who actually has the experience necessary to orchestrate something like this, had his own massive "super protest" at the convention? The one where the Trumpletariet mob of deplorables would rampage through the hotels and storm into the rooms of Cruz delegates? Oh yeah, neither can I. Because it didn't happen.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »

FWIW, if a movement mobilized and used Gestapo tactics to swing an election (which isn't happening here), frankly I'd much rather it be from a bunch of people who admire the Gestapo.

Interesting.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies