Democratic Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:19:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Author Topic: Democratic Leadership Elections  (Read 27214 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »

Leadership is all about seniority and Fudge should replace Clyburn or Hoyer, instead of Pelosi. 1977, Democratic reforms took party control away from committees and into the Speaker. Pelosi, doesn't have that much time left in Congress, but will be Speaker, as long as Dems hold majority. That will be past 2022, given the Senate map in 2020 and 2022
UncleSam

« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »

Leadership is all about seniority and Fudge should replace Clyburn or Hoyer, instead of Pelosi. 1977, Democratic reforms took party control away from committees and into the Speaker. Pelosi, doesn't have that much time left in Congress, but will be Speaker, as long as Dems hold majority. That will be past 2022, given the Senate map in 2020 and 2022
What does the senate map have to do with the house in 2020 lol
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »

Moulton is simply challenging the status quoa I appreciate him stepping up because it's ridiculous all of leadership is pushing 80. This is necessary because it sends Pelosi and others a message that she can't be speaker for another decade or however long she wants.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »

What does the senate map have to do with the house in 2020 lol

All the House seats up are in 25 seats Clinton won
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »

Moulton is simply challenging the status quoa I appreciate him stepping up because it's ridiculous all of leadership is pushing 80. This is necessary because it sends Pelosi and others a message that she can't be speaker for another decade or however long she wants.

It's not like she'd be able to be speaker for a decade anyway. The pendulum is going to swing back eventually.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »

Dems overperformed in the House, which secured Pelosi as Speaker, if they only secured 25-29 seats, her leadership would be in doubt
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »

Nancy Pelosi, no matter what you think about the woman, will be the next speaker. You can't beat someone with no one.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »

The reason he's stepping up is not so noble, however. Its clear that he desires the power himself, and has been trying to push his associates into powerful positions. If he truly wanted new leadership, he would have ran for speaker, or he would have called for Clyburn or another one of the higher ups to be challenged. Instead, Seth has been using this as a means to boost his national profile, and possibly take out a speaker that he views as a threat to his view of the Democratic Party.

There is a reason many of the anti-Pelosi Dems on the forum, myself included, are backing her candidacy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »

Again. Pelosi is a master at this. She might even be better than McConnell. Too bad Dems had deadweight Harry Reid dragging them down in 2009-2010.

I agree with the first part, but Reid wasn't a deadweight (if nothing else, he deserves credit for building a first-class political machine in Nevada).  The existence of the filibuster meant that Reid had a much harder job than Pelosi; I do think Schumer's an improvement though since he managed to get McCain to vote against the Obamacare repeal (IIRC Schumer was the one who convinced McCain to switch from an "aye" to a "nay" on that).  Blocking the Obamacare repeal bill was a pretty big coup for Senate Democrats.  That said, Pelosi is far more effective than Reid or Schumer.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

Why does age matter?

As long as she can do the job, she can be 400 years old for all I care.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 11:14:47 AM by RussFeingoldWasRobbedk »

I'll support her against moulton b/c he sucks even more.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »

Higgins flips.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

You come at the queen, you best not miss.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »

Again. Pelosi is a master at this. She might even be better than McConnell. Too bad Dems had deadweight Harry Reid dragging them down in 2009-2010.

I agree with the first part, but Reid wasn't a deadweight (if nothing else, he deserves credit for building a first-class political machine in Nevada).  The existence of the filibuster meant that Reid had a much harder job than Pelosi; I do think Schumer's an improvement though since he managed to get McCain to vote against the Obamacare repeal (IIRC Schumer was the one who convinced McCain to switch from an "aye" to a "nay" on that).  Blocking the Obamacare repeal bill was a pretty big coup for Senate Democrats.  That said, Pelosi is far more effective than Reid or Schumer.

I don't think Schumer is an improvement over Reid at all. Schumer doesn't care for confrontation, while Reid does and I believe you need that when you are going up against Trump.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »

Many of the Pelosi Critics are taking a principled stand on the real issues and will support her to get them done, such as Brian Higgins. I admire that.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »

Why does age matter?

As long as she can do the job, she can be 400 years old for all I care.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I guess this isn't going to help her quest to become speaker.

Lance Mason was an Ohio state court judge who was removed from the bench and ultimately convicted and sent to prison for brutally beating his wife in 2014. She divorced him. Marcia Fudge wrote this letter asking that he be treated leniently by the prosecutor. He was later released after serving only nine months.

Just this past week, Lance Mason apparently murdered his now ex-wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2018/11/19/former-judge-brutally-assaulted-his-wife-now-shes-dead-hes-been-arrested/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.30fc0649418c

It's a bit of a gotcha, but it's always been clear that Fudge is a consummate player of the insider game and will support bad apples for power.

I honestly think Fudge's support of Mason is worth primarying her over and is a bigger deal than her challenge to Pelosi. Mason allegedly beat his wife so badly she needed reconstructive surgery, and this occured on front of their small children. Fudge, who had served as director of the office of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor, implored the office she used to work for in the above letter to give him a light sentence. Well, he got a light sentence, got out and allegedly killed his wife and injured a cop while escaping. This is a big deal and shows a ridiculous lack of ethics, critical thinking, decency, leadership, etc on Fudge's part. She is not a leader and doesn't deserve to be one, IMO

Details on the case here: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/20/fudge-letter-criminal-case-1008215

JD should run Nina Turner. It's a perfect opening for them

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I guess this isn't going to help her quest to become speaker.

Lance Mason was an Ohio state court judge who was removed from the bench and ultimately convicted and sent to prison for brutally beating his wife in 2014. She divorced him. Marcia Fudge wrote this letter asking that he be treated leniently by the prosecutor. He was later released after serving only nine months.

Just this past week, Lance Mason apparently murdered his now ex-wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2018/11/19/former-judge-brutally-assaulted-his-wife-now-shes-dead-hes-been-arrested/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.30fc0649418c

It's a bit of a gotcha, but it's always been clear that Fudge is a consummate player of the insider game and will support bad apples for power.

I honestly think Fudge's support of Mason is worth primarying her over and is a bigger deal than her challenge to Pelosi. Mason allegedly beat his wife so badly she needed reconstructive surgery, and this occured on front of their small children. Fudge, who had served as director of the office of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor, implored the office she used to work for in the above letter to give him a light sentence. Well, he got a light sentence, got out and allegedly killed his wife and injured a cop while escaping. This is a big deal and shows a ridiculous lack of ethics, critical thinking, decency, leadership, etc on Fudge's part. She is not a leader and doesn't deserve to be one, IMO

Details on the case here: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/20/fudge-letter-criminal-case-1008215

JD should run Nina Turner. It's a perfect opening for them

Nina Turner was almost Jill Stein's VP pick in 2016 and is one of the most (rightly) despised folks in Ohio Democratic politics.  JD would honestly be better off with even just some random activist.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #268 on: November 21, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »

LOL!

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #269 on: November 21, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »

Good, good.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »

I agree with the first part, but Reid wasn't a deadweight (if nothing else, he deserves credit for building a first-class political machine in Nevada).  The existence of the filibuster meant that Reid had a much harder job than Pelosi; I do think Schumer's an improvement though since he managed to get McCain to vote against the Obamacare repeal (IIRC Schumer was the one who convinced McCain to switch from an "aye" to a "nay" on that).  Blocking the Obamacare repeal bill was a pretty big coup for Senate Democrats.  That said, Pelosi is far more effective than Reid or Schumer.

Reid got tougher later on when he got wise to the Republican dirty tricks, but by then Dems already lost the House and it was too little too late. He and Obama squandered much of the trifecta with their "bipartisanship" fetish and assuming the Republicans were acting in good faith (literally took a year to write healthcare reform to try to get the votes of Republican Senators who were never going to support it under any circumstances even though it was basically their own plan from the 90s) while Pelosi was the one kicking ass and taking names. McConnell ran circles around Obama and Reid even when he should've been a powerless minority. It was pretty sad to watch.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »

This proves why Pelosi should be speaker- the last week or so has been a work of art in how you dispatch rivals before the vote even begins. Of course Ryan, and Moulton were so hilariously useless- and proved why we couldn't let them anywhere near congressional power.

It's ashame- Tim Ryan was always a bit of a cretin, but Moulton could (and might still?) have had a very bright political future.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2018, 05:37:40 PM »

Actually Ryan used to be awesome. Whatever happened to this Tim Ryan?
https://youtu.be/cgHkXOEGIvU
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »

Didn't he just have a speech a few months ago on the tax bill?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »

I know, right Sad
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies