Corker, Portman and Rubio will not compaign for the GOP this fall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:14:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Corker, Portman and Rubio will not compaign for the GOP this fall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Corker, Portman and Rubio will not compaign for the GOP this fall  (Read 1154 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:47 AM »

Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »

I thought it was tradition for Senators not to campaign against the other Senators from their state, so I'm not surprised about Portman and Rubio, and I can't blame Corker for refusing to campaign for Blackburn.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »

Corker makes sense, as does Portman (somewhat), but Rubio sticks out as the odd one. I understand that he might not campaign against his senate colleague, Nelson, but I would think he would campaign for the R nominee from governor of Florida, as well as for house races and some out-of-state races.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »

Nah, I believe Rubio will campaign for Rick Scott, Adam Putnam (if nominated) and other down-ballot FL GOPers.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »

Corker makes sense, as does Portman (somewhat), but Rubio sticks out as the odd one. I understand that he might not campaign against his senate colleague, Nelson, but I would think he would campaign for the R nominee from governor of Florida, as well as for house races and some out-of-state races.

I’m sure he’ll campaign for Putnam/DeSantis.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »

I’m sure he’ll campaign for Putnam/DeSantis.

There is some bad blood between Scott and Rubio, plus he claims to have a good working relationship with Nelson.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »

Uh, this is pretty common. While a D-R pair of Senators for a state will often endorse each other's opponents, actively campaigning against each other is rare.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »

In fact, they are campaigning for the GOP but they are not campaigning against their state’s GOP senatorial candidates’ Democratic opponents. This is like when John McCain enthusiastically campaigned for Bush’s 2004 successful re-election campaign without speaking out against John Kerry with whom he has strong friendship.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

Corker stands out in that it is refusing to campaign for a Republican successor for his seat.

I could see Corker openly endorse and campaign for Bredesen, especially after the inevitable gaffe from Marsha Blackburn.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »

If I'm not wrong, it's the same thing that happened with Mark Kirk in the 2014 Illinois Senate race (Durbin running).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »

Scott supported Trump in 2016, even in the run up to the Florida primary, so it's expected for Rubio to refuse to campaign and even make a point by publicly declaring how much he enjoys working with Nelson.
Corker and Bredesen were quite close from the days when the former was Chattanooga mayor and I doubt that Corker feels much affinity towards a conservative firebreather like Blackburn.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »

Uh, this is pretty common. While a D-R pair of Senators for a state will often endorse each other's opponents, actively campaigning against each other is rare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies