Conservative leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:12:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative leadership election  (Read 20715 times)
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« on: June 22, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »

Who on earth gets the cops called on them literally days before a vote to make them prime minister? I would never break plates and laptops in my home when my wife makes me angry. But I would REALLY not do it when I am a week away from being PM.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

Boris Johnson, as expected, won. He is due to become Prime Minister tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605
Why are the Conservatives like this?

The obvious answer is that Conservative Party members are wildy unrepresentative of the general population. They really want to leave the European Union, at almost any cost. Boris Johnson did a better job convincing this particular narrow segment of the population than his rival; even though by the end the pressure of pandering to the same group left both of them with almost identical policies on Brexit.

The demographic profile of the Tory voter is almost comically quaint. We like to joke about right wing voters as plodding old toffs with bars of gold stuffed under mattresses for when either the Bolsheviks or Muslims take over. But in Britain's case this is actually not a joke. Brexit has taken on an almost cosmic significance to these folks for rhis reason. And it is forcing the Tories down this ruinous no deal path all because Stanley and Aubyn are convinced that the Moors are coming for them.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:26:45 AM »

I supported Hunt, and I've voted for both the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party this year, but I'm willing to give Johnson a chance. He may just confound as all.

By us you mean Tory Brexiteers, of course, who sctually believe that "do or die" really means do or die. In which we really will be confounded because obviously do or die doesn't mean do or die and obviously Britain isn't leaving the EU without a deal unless a general election is called and Brexiteers take over parliament.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies