Chances of seeing a repeat of the 2016 map in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:38:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Chances of seeing a repeat of the 2016 map in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Chances we could see the exact same map as last time in 2020?
Plausible

Not plausible

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Chances of seeing a repeat of the 2016 map in 2020?  (Read 773 times)
538Electoral

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2019, 05:09:23 AM »

Personally, I'd put the odds at 5-10% that we see no state changes from 2016 to 2020.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 07:08:05 AM »

It's possible, if not entirely likely. This country is pretty polarized.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »

No, Trump isnt gonna win WI, PA and MI again, he only won those states do to Gary Johnson
Jamison5
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »

No, Trump isnt gonna win WI, PA and MI again, he only won those states do to Gary Johnson

If anything, Gary Johnson helped Clinton. From what I understand, the Gary Johnson voters would have been split 75-25 in favor of Trump. Gary Johnson likely cost Trump Maine, New Hampshire, and Minnesota. Gary Johnson especially hurt Trump in the Southwest.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

Plausible, not likely. It would be historical, has never happened before.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »

It should be plausible, but never in American history has the electoral map been exactly the same in two consecutive elections, As ElectionsGuy said. I don't see how that pattern stops. The most likely map, to me, with as little change as possible, involves a Trump win plus New Hampshire or minus Michigan.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »

Please stop trolling. Johnson helped Clinton more. Hillary lost because she an awful candidate.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »

0% chance.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »

Please stop trolling. Johnson helped Clinton more. Hillary lost because she an awful candidate.
Olawakandi is NOT a troll!
krb08
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -7.74

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »

Yeah this dude is a troll. The awful grammar errors in many of their posts give it away, too.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »

I've seen users on other forums from the past who behaved in a similarly odd manner as Olawakandi. I suspect it's the result of a severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia. So this is stuff that a troll can't just make up. It also means that his hilarious posts are in truth somewhat tragic. I hope he's doing well.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »

He absolutely is. He literally posts Trump has no chance in MI, WI, PA multiple times a day. If that is not trolling I do not know what is.
redeagleofficial

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 10:43:42 PM »

Yeah, more like a robot putting together incoherent semi-related words
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »

He absolutely is. He literally posts Trump has no chance in MI, WI, PA multiple times a day. If that is not trolling I do not know what is.

It's hard to pinpoint his true intentions but historically the reactions from his posts (and generally my reaction) have been more humorous than disruptive. My general inclination has been he's not a troll and that his posts are good faith. With that said, his posts often don't make the most sense.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 01:37:10 AM »

Plausible, but not likely
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 06:49:54 AM »

It's hard to pinpoint his true intentions but historically the reactions from his posts (and generally my reaction) have been more humorous than disruptive. My general inclination has been he's not a troll and that his posts are good faith. With that said, his posts often don't make the most sense.

SN: If he is a troll, you realize you're just giving him what he/she wants by getting all riled up, right?  Just hit ignore and move on.   

I've just always assumed he/she was just SUPER liberal, though his/her 2020 prediction of the Dems netting 413 EC votes (yes yes, this includes Texas and Georgia) is....interesting.  

On a side note, does anybody know the last time (if at all) that an electoral college map remained the same for two consecutive elections?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 06:52:35 AM »

I've just always assumed he was just SUPER liberal, though his 2020 prediction of the Dems netting 413 EC votes (yes yes, this includes Texas and Georgia) is....interesting.  

On a side note, does anybody know the last time (if at all) that an electoral college map remained the same for two consecutive elections?

It’s never happened.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:47 AM »

Against Biden, no Trump doesnt have a chance to win, but against Warren, Warren doesn't have the experience like Biden does and can lose. As far as my map is concerned, Dems picked up 8 Senate Seats in 2008,  AK, CO, MN, NM, NC, NH, OR and Va, look at the last poll showing Biden beating Trump by 15, if Trump gets impeached and tried in Senate, a 412 EC map is plausible

I have said over and over again, Trump rubs people the wrong way and is gaffe prone like Palin, this is not the 1980 Reagan party, this is the Palin party, who endorsed Trump in 2016
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

SN: If he is a troll, you realize you're just giving him what he/she wants by getting all riled up, right?  Just hit ignore and move on.   

I've just always assumed he/she was just SUPER liberal, though his/her 2020 prediction of the Dems netting 413 EC votes (yes yes, this includes Texas and Georgia) is....interesting.  

Fair but I feel there is a double standard on here of liberal posters making repeat or borderline troll statements and conservatives doing the same thing
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »

5% sounds about right. We've never had a repeat map, but we've certainly come close (1796/1800 1880-1888, 2000/2004), and there's a first time for everything.
Epaminondas

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »

About the same odds at identical podiums in an event at consecutive Olympics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies