GM was world's top automaker by sales last quarter.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:42:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  GM was world's top automaker by sales last quarter.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GM was world's top automaker by sales last quarter.  (Read 1292 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »

This is the company that can't make cars anyone wants to buy anymore? Hyperbole.

"During the second quarter of 2009 - from April 1 through June 30 - Toyota sold 1.80 million vehicles while GM sold 1.94 million.  Toyota’s units include its Daihatsu and Hino subsidiaries."

Toyota narrowly beat out GM 3.56 million units to 3.55 million in H1, but if current trends continue, GM could recapture its #1 spot this year after losing it to Toyota last year.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota-Clings-To-Number-One-Global-Sales-Spot-For-First-Half-Of-2009-46408/

This is the company that would have gone into LIQUIDATION a couple months ago.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »

Very good Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »

This is the company that can't make cars anyone wants to buy anymore? Hyperbole.

internationally, GM has been doing quite well, it's their domestic operations, and their skyhigh cost structure, that bankrupted them
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2009, 12:31:30 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

internationally, GM has been doing quite well, it's their domestic operations, and their skyhigh cost structure, that bankrupted them

Yes and unfortuately in the rush to make GM a "green car" company I fear they might hurt GM more then help them. With the Gov't involved now the way it is we might very well get these glimpses of what GM could have become but now might never be. Alfred Sloan once said that never had all of his cars been profitable at once but all were profitable at some point over the year or over a set of years. His leadership saw GM through the Depression and through the start of its hey day in the 1950's. He stole the number one spot from Henry Ford in the 1920's.

Its not that GM made cars nobody wanted, its that they couldn't sell them at high enough price to make a profit. Wagoner said that if GM could have sold the same number of cars in 2005 as he did but with the same discounts offered in the early 90's, 2005 would have been GM's best year ever. However people wouldn't buy enough of them without huge price slashes, and other deals cause the foriegner car makers could sell cheaper and still be profitable unlike GM.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »

Yes and unfortuately in the rush to make GM a "green car" company I fear they might hurt GM more then help them. 

Why do you think making "green cars" will hurt GM? Just think of how high gas prices are in the middle of a recession. What do you think they will be when the economy starts getting back to normal?

I think the best thing GM is doing is getting rid of their multiple lines of cars providing the same product. By trimming the amount of choices available, they will be able to alleviate cannibalization.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »

Yes and unfortuately in the rush to make GM a "green car" company I fear they might hurt GM more then help them. 

Why do you think making "green cars" will hurt GM? Just think of how high gas prices are in the middle of a recession. What do you think they will be when the economy starts getting back to normal?

I think the best thing GM is doing is getting rid of their multiple lines of cars providing the same product. By trimming the amount of choices available, they will be able to alleviate cannibalization.
I agree with sbane, if GM didn't focus on "green cars" they woud lose lots of their market once gas prices skyrocketed again in the future. Sure, this is basically a government project but it is a necessary one if we want to have America survive on a different economic grid. I am sure this experimentation will be successful.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »

I agree with sbane, if GM didn't focus on "green cars" they woud lose lots of their market once gas prices skyrocketed again in the future. Sure, this is basically a government project but it is a necessary one if we want to have America survive on a different economic grid. I am sure this experimentation will be successful.

What I meant was I think it might be a mistake for them to put all the eggs in one basket. I have nothing against green cars. I also agree with Sbane's second paragraph on removing duplicates lines. I just worry that with the Gov't involved they wont be able to adequately respond to demand. Stop assuming the worse meaning of what I say is what I mean.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »

What I meant was I think it might be a mistake for them to put all the eggs in one basket. I have nothing against green cars. I also agree with Sbane's second paragraph on removing duplicates lines. I just worry that with the Gov't involved they wont be able to adequately respond to demand. Stop assuming the worse meaning of what I say is what I mean.

So how involved is the government in these sorts of decisions? I agree that they shouldn't be putting their eggs in one basket but of course there's nothing wrong with making their whole fleet more efficient. Also they should really try and anticipate future demand rather than jump on short term trends (which they did in 2004 and it failed spectacularly). This is especially important in their industry where it takes a long time to implement new designs and technology. But I don't want the government to be making these decisions for them and I really hope they aren't meddling in decision making at that level. The statements made by the government just outlined the plans made by GM itself......as far as I know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies