"Saving the Republicans: The 'Young Guns' Go For It" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Saving the Republicans: The 'Young Guns' Go For It" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Saving the Republicans: The 'Young Guns' Go For It"  (Read 1051 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

Since November, I've heard Newt Gingrich and other GOP heavy-hitters talk about the Republican governors as the GOP's best pool of talent.  I haven't agreed.  I truly believe the House is where our leader(s) will come from.  Here's an article from the July 26th-31st issue of The Economist anointing Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, and Kevin McCarthy as the ones to lead the GOP out of its slump.  As chairman and grand poo-bah of the Paul Ryan Fan Club, I thought I'd share it with you. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I generally agree with the Young Guns on where I want the GOP to go. Wherever we go on all the other issues I am convinced that at the core shrinking the size of the state is an important element no matter what. I think they left out yet another figure or potential competitor, although slightly older and that is Mike Pence. I beleive the four of them together have one heck of a future in the party and I beleive the success of further defeat of the GOP will be determined by how successfull they are. Like the young guns, Pence also differentiates from the Bush ere Big-gov't conservatism. Unlike the Young guns who preferred to keep quiet and work there way up to a point where they would have the power to do something, Pence spoke out frequently coming in only second to Jeff Flake as a nuisance to the leadership and yet still managed to get appointed as head of the Conference 3rd most powerful position.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »

I generally agree with the Young Guns on where I want the GOP to go. Wherever we go on all the other issues I am convinced that at the core shrinking the size of the state is an important element no matter what. I think they left out yet another figure or potential competitor, although slightly older and that is Mike Pence. I beleive the four of them together have one heck of a future in the party and I beleive the success of further defeat of the GOP will be determined by how successfull they are. Like the young guns, Pence also differentiates from the Bush ere Big-gov't conservatism. Unlike the Young guns who preferred to keep quiet and work there way up to a point where they would have the power to do something, Pence spoke out frequently coming in only second to Jeff Flake as a nuisance to the leadership and yet still managed to get appointed as head of the Conference 3rd most powerful position.

Oh, absolutely.  I'm a Pence fan as well.  My only guess as the why The Economist left him out is because he comes off as less cerebral, and more of a "politician", than the other three.  Pence also tends to drift into moral territory every so often, an area most agree that the GOP should try to avoid.

Agreed but I have seen him on economics. He does need to learn to keep focused better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies