Joe Sestak 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:42:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Joe Sestak 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Joe Sestak 2016?
Yes, he will run.

Maybe.

No way in hell.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Joe Sestak 2016?  (Read 7291 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: May 15, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2010, 09:14:10 PM by Joementum »

There is nothing about Sestak that on the face of it would attract much of a following were he to run for president.  Sestak is mostly riding anti-Specter (and anti-incumbent) sentiment in the primary rather than wooing voters on his own merits.  John Kerry's military record was an asset in his winning the nomination but he was running to challenge a wartime incumbent who had dodged combat as a young man: very specific factors that made Kerry seem well-suited to be nominee (in my opinion, deceptively so).

I also think Sestak's age would be a bit of a problem (though it wouldn't bother me). Hillary as one of if not the most admired politician in the country running in her 60s and an unknown first term senator in his 60s... their ages would affect candidacies in vastly different ways.  In her (or Biden's) case, it'd be a big issue she (or Biden) had to defend against.  In Sestak's, it'd more be an unaddressed lack of an asset- valid or not- that younger candidates enjoyed.  Probably enough to keep him from getting much traction.  Even Franken or Feingold who are about the same age would have a better chance to overcome the problem because they are progressive heroes in ways that I think it's unlikely Sestak will end up being and so could more easily spark excitement in spite of being seniors.  Based on the fact that he decided to challenge Specter, you might wonder if he's enough of a risk-taker or has a big enough ego to attempt a presidential run.  But if he did, I'd bet on a fizzle.

*also: I wouldn't be surprise if Specter pulls a rabbit out of his hat and wins on Tuesday.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies