Would America be better off...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:44:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would America be better off...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would America be better off with a third major party?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Would America be better off...  (Read 4268 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 08:56:05 PM »

If we use IRV, all efforts towards voting reform will have been wasted. Approval or Condorcet, folks.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 12:06:49 AM »

But yeah, four or five would be good, four would probably fit if we had one for every major ideology here(conservative, left-liberal, libertarian, and populist).

And perhaps a centrist party as well? Honestly, as a Libertarian you should remember the World's Smallest Political Quiz... Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 05:17:48 AM »

But yeah, four or five would be good, four would probably fit if we had one for every major ideology here(conservative, left-liberal, libertarian, and populist).

And perhaps a centrist party as well? Honestly, as a Libertarian you should remember the World's Smallest Political Quiz... Tongue

No, because the centrists would be the swing voters, which I think we would still want to have some of.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 02:14:51 PM »

John Dibble.....you know I'm with you and I promise that if the libertarian party is projected to get 10% nationally I will vote for the libertarian....(if I don't you can kick my ass Smiley )

I wouldn't kick your ass for that - I'm a Libertarian after all. Break in to my house or attack me first, then we'll talk. Wink

Anywho, you should start voting Libertarian now - we aren't going to get anywhere if people don't vote for us, and if people don't vote for us, people won't vote for us. Cheesy Change won't come unless you're willing to work for it - my candidate may not win now, but the more of us who vote for him the more viable our party looks in the future. And if you can't bring yourself to vote Lib in the presidential election, you could always throw us some votes in your state and local elections.

The first step to getting a successful third party is to eliminate the electoral college, and thus eliminate the "I won't vote for him because the election is too close in my state" voters.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 02:22:18 PM »

You mean, eliminate the "I will vote for him because the race isn't close in my state" voters - and create a lot of "I won't vote for him because the race nationally is too close" voters
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies