Metropolitan Toronto - Provincial Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Metropolitan Toronto - Provincial Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Metropolitan Toronto - Provincial Elections  (Read 1870 times)
deansherratt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

Here is a link to older maps that I did...Toronto in the 1971 and 1975 provincial elections. I am seated in the 1975 photo to show perspective...it was a BIG map - all hand coloured by graduated winning margins which were calculated "in my head".

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=130432&id=612797173&l=0fb4f759e7
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »

Nice, that's some serious work by hand.

So much blue and orange, so little red - you'd think Toronto was in the west.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »

Toronto has changed so much. Well, the parties have changed too. Back then, the Liberals were the right wing party provincially.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

Toronto has changed so much. Well, the parties have changed too. Back then, the Liberals were the right wing party provincially.

And rural party too, important to note.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »

Rural southwest especially IIRC.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:55 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2009, 01:43:31 AM by SoFA EarlAW »

and in Renfrew County, Ontario's answer to the deep south.

ETA: Renfrew voted Liberal every federal election from 1935 to 2000. Not bad for one of the most socially conservative parts of the province.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:44:34 AM »

and in Renfrew County, Ontario's answer to the deep south.

ETA: Renfrew voted Liberal every federal election from 1935 to 2000. Not bad for one of the most socially conservative parts of the province.

Ah, yes. I remember the shock when it fell; quite the harbinger of things to come.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:59 AM »

Here is a link to older maps that I did...Toronto in the 1971 and 1975 provincial elections. I am seated in the 1975 photo to show perspective...it was a BIG map - all hand coloured by graduated winning margins which were calculated "in my head".

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=130432&id=612797173&l=0fb4f759e7
Don't forget to post that second pic in the "post a picture of yourself" thread, too. Smiley
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2009, 06:03:09 PM by deansherratt »

Renfrew was traditionally Liberal in its politics, though socially very Conservative. There are substantial Polish settlements (see Barry's Bay), also a large military contingent (but that vote has shifted Tory now) and civil servants (?) living in Deep River (nuclear workers?)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

renfrew was traditionally Liberal in its politics, thoguh socially very Conservative. There are substantial Polish settlements (see Barry's Bay), also a large military contingent (but that vote has shifted Tory now) and civil servants (?) living in Deep River (nuclear workers?)

Isn't/wasn't Renfrew quite Catholic, explaining its old Liberal lean?

Deep River voted Liberal in 2006, not sure about last year. Probably Tory - after all, it was the strongest Tory riding in Ontario IIRC.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »

Indeed, there are a lot of Catholics in Renfrew. that may have been important awhile ago, but not now.

However, Deep River voted Liberal again...probably the only place in the riding that did so. Petawawa was very Conservative, like its soldiers SVR - I vote which was 5-1!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

renfrew was traditionally Liberal in its politics, thoguh socially very Conservative. There are substantial Polish settlements (see Barry's Bay), also a large military contingent (but that vote has shifted Tory now) and civil servants (?) living in Deep River (nuclear workers?)

Isn't/wasn't Renfrew quite Catholic, explaining its old Liberal lean?

Deep River voted Liberal in 2006, not sure about last year. Probably Tory - after all, it was the strongest Tory riding in Ontario IIRC.

In 2001 Census, 45.2% Catholic and Protestant 43%. Religion is only asked each ten years.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »

Good stuff Maxque! Very quick research. However I expect that Renfrew changes less than many other places, though there has been an incremental increase in "No religion".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »

I drive through Renfrew County a lot, it's a beautiful drive up to North Bay. Deep River is a nice little town, but it's a recently developed "planned community", built for the Chalk River Atomic Laboratories.

Petawawa is of course very Conservative. If soldiers are anything like my cousin, then they are a pretty hardcore bunch.

There is one spot along highway 17 with a Cheryl Gallant billboard, only it is rather small and somewhat buried in the forest, so it's kind of random and not very visible. It's really weird. But then again, so is Cheryl. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies