"Total War" Video Games
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  "Total War" Video Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Total War" Video Games  (Read 2224 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »

Anyone else play these and find them fun? I've been playing Medieval II mods lately because my Empire: Total War doesn't work.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »

Anyone else play these and find them fun? I've been playing Medieval II mods lately because my Empire: Total War doesn't work.

I've been playing them since Rome came out.  I love them.  Took me a while to warm up to Empire since the game play is so different from past entries, but I really like it now.  Alot of the Mods for Medieval II are a big improvement on the original, which was pretty good anyway.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »

And I didn't just mean the campaign map, the battles themselves are very different in Empire, even though they use the exact same format as battles in the old ones.  The fact that the majority of your men are now basically "archers" as opposed to having much hand-to-hand really changes the way battles are fought.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »

Medieval: Total War is pretty much my favorite computer game ever. I haven't really liked any of the later games though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »

And I didn't just mean the campaign map, the battles themselves are very different in Empire, even though they use the exact same format as battles in the old ones.  The fact that the majority of your men are now basically "archers" as opposed to having much hand-to-hand really changes the way battles are fought.

I've been playing them since Rome came out.  I love them.  Took me a while to warm up to Empire since the game play is so different from past entries, but I really like it now.  Alot of the Mods for Medieval II are a big improvement on the original, which was pretty good anyway.

I haven't tried out the land battles in Empire yet, just the naval battles so far. My Empire broke after four days of playing, fatal graphics error, even on lowest setting. Another thing I liked but was hard to get used to was the fact that my English armies can't walk into France and conquer it. But when I was playing England I had fun investing in the New World and creating colonies in India.

I've been playing the mod Stainless Steel for Medieval II, and it is fantastic, it gets rid of The Americas, but creates loads more settlements in Europe, The Middle East, and Africa. It also adds a lot of factions and expands the map a bit into Persia. It also improves the AI. You should check it out. I'm currently playing the Knights Templar, and I chivalrously conquered Egypt and I am the dominant power in the world currently and I actually got my cardinal to become pope at like 36 years old.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »

Awesome, awesome games. Probably my favourites - I certainly play them the most (along with Dawn of War). I love Rome and I love Medieval II (and expansions).

I'm presently playing Med II Crusades Expansion. I just won it, but opted to continue playing.

I really want to get Empire, but I don't think my computer will be able to handle it. I might get it but wait until I have an upgrade before I play it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2009, 09:08:48 PM by Supersoulty »

I haven't tried out the land battles in Empire yet, just the naval battles so far. My Empire broke after four days of playing, fatal graphics error, even on lowest setting. Another thing I liked but was hard to get used to was the fact that my English armies can't walk into France and conquer it. But when I was playing England I had fun investing in the New World and creating colonies in India.

I've been playing the mod Stainless Steel for Medieval II, and it is fantastic, it gets rid of The Americas, but creates loads more settlements in Europe, The Middle East, and Africa. It also adds a lot of factions and expands the map a bit into Persia. It also improves the AI. You should check it out. I'm currently playing the Knights Templar, and I chivalrously conquered Egypt and I am the dominant power in the world currently and I actually got my cardinal to become pope at like 36 years old.

My all-time favorite mod in terms of playability was "Deus lo Vult".  It combined random death ages (characters can die at 35 or live to be 100), crowns, titles (Earl of Wessex, Archbishop of the Realm), more ancillaries, more kingdoms, etc.  Problem was that my version had a bad habit of crashing about 100 years in.  Never fixed the problem.  Try it out for yours though.  It's a great mod, and others seemed not to have the problem.

I also loved the Pope "mini-game" if you could call it that.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »

I think I have Deus Lo Vult downloaded, but I don't think i've played it yet, perhaps I should try it out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies