Maine's Question 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:31:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 157819 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »

Hey, does anyone know what the composition of the electorate for this election was in Maine? I'm trying to figure out if this would have failed last year or if gay marriage could come back next year.

I am wondering the same thing. Any sort of exit poll out there?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #551 on: November 04, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/11/marriage-still-close-in-maine.html

These aren't exit polls, but they are polls taken on Monday, the eve of the elections and it shows that Senior Citizens supported in 59-40 and those under 30 opposed it only 51-48 which is a big advantage for the supporters.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #552 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »

When the biggest university campus in Maine voted 81% No and with other campuses with similar margins, I can put my hand in fire that the young vote wasn't 51-48.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #553 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

When the biggest university campus in Maine voted 81% No and with other campuses with similar margins, I can put my hand in fire that the young vote wasn't 51-48.

I can agree with that, and like i said these were basically "entrance" polls rather than exit polls.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #554 on: November 04, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »

But what percentage of voters were young vs. old? Especially in comparison to 2008.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #555 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »

But what percentage of voters were young vs. old? Especially in comparison to 2008.

I guess any demographics will be tough to find, since it seems the only time questions are examined closer are when there are actual candidate races above them in the same state/district.  At least that's what I gather.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #556 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »

Well don't forget people from more rural areas who may not attend college. But yeah, the margin wouldn't have been that close.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #557 on: November 04, 2009, 09:36:12 PM »

I don't know if there's any exit polling, actually. We might never really know the age demographics of last night.

Well don't forget people from more rural areas who may not attend college. But yeah, the margin wouldn't have been that close.

I've lived in a relatively rural city for a good part of my life, so I can attest to this. After graduating, young people in rural areas usually take flight into bigger cities, and/or university campuses. The young people who stay with the family and get a job after graduation are probably in the 35% 18-29 demographic that are against same-sex marriage.

Well, from what I've seen, anyway.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

It won't be that hard to find out age demographics.  I can't imagine that Maine's voter database doesn't contain DOB and voter credit information.

It's worth mentioning that kids who attend college tend to be more liberal, and even beyond that, college students who register to vote at their university's address tend to be even moreso.  Don't ask me why.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #559 on: November 04, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »

Unfortunate, though not terribly surprising. Gay marriage is definitely significantly to the left of most (if not all) state Democratic parties. The only states that could potentially legalize gay marriage with a referendum at this point, are: VT and MA with an outside shot at CT, RI, NY, and NJ.

IIRC, 29 states have now banned gay marriage by a statewide referendum, all in the past six years. To my knowledge, I don't think there are any other issues that have been on ballots in so many states, at least not in this time frame. Interesting how this is such a big issue when the general public is not affected by two consenting adults marrying.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #560 on: November 04, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »

That site doesn't appear to match up with the county map (not sure which is accurate), but anyway Obama margin minus yes margin:

aroostook   55.7
franklin   38.2
somerset   36.7
androscoggin   35.5
oxford   34.5
washington   30.3
piscataquis   29.9
kennebec   28
penobscot   22.7
york   19.8
knox   19.6
waldo   19.6
sagadahoc   16.6
lincoln   15.7
hancock   13.5
cumberland   9.6
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #561 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »

Hallieulah!

Well, good for Maine voters.

They did the right thing.

They deserve the thanks of a greatful nation for acting responsibly.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #562 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

Franzl, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state. And even so, that argument would side with the church. The state is interfering with religion's right to define marriage, therefore, the state needs to abandon marriage.

It most certainly is. If the Quakers or the Unitarians want to permit gay marriages, what State has the right to disallow them that ability?

Oh, wait, I forgot - you're only arguing against gay marriage because it's required of you as a Republican.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #563 on: November 05, 2009, 01:58:21 AM »

Franzl, this has nothing to do with separation of church and state. And even so, that argument would side with the church. The state is interfering with religion's right to define marriage, therefore, the state needs to abandon marriage.

It most certainly is. If the Quakers or the Unitarians want to permit gay marriages, what State has the right to disallow them that ability?

Oh, wait, I forgot - you're only arguing against gay marriage because it's required of you as a Republican.

Where did I argue against gay marriage?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #564 on: November 05, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »

You've been beating around it this entire thread. Don't be facile.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #565 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:55 AM »

This thread?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2009, 02:39:31 AM »

You've been beating around it this entire thread. Don't be facile.

I haven't taken a position on this actual ballot measure.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: November 05, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »

This thread?

No. I merely argued against the importance of the "issue."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2009, 02:42:26 AM »

Arguing on the Internet that something is too unimportant to fight for seems a mite hypocritical
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: November 05, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »

Arguing on the Internet that something is too unimportant to fight for seems a mite hypocritical

Not when people say it's worse than slavery, when it actually isn't anything.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #570 on: November 05, 2009, 02:46:09 AM »

no one said that.

Deeds was an awful candidate. Look no further than his most passionate supporters to see jsut how much he sucks.

Is that a shot at me?  And to answer the question, no.

If you have to ask, then probably.

Don't you have better things to do than waste your time attacking people on an internet forum?

At 4:52 on a Wednesday? Sadly, no.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: November 05, 2009, 02:47:03 AM »

People at my high school did last year when the Prop 8 battle was going on. From then on, I refused to group with such people.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #572 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

People at my high school did last year when the Prop 8 battle was going on. From then on, I refused to group with such people.

What does that even mean, logically?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: November 05, 2009, 02:50:34 AM »

It means that I do not go to their rallies or attend their meetings in favor or in opposition to gay marriage.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #574 on: November 05, 2009, 02:51:55 AM »

It means that I do not go to their rallies or attend their meetings in favor or in opposition to gay marriage.

because you, at one point, met someone that said something stupid?  Under that logic I should not post on this forum because you just posted that.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies