Property tax appeals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:37:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Property tax appeals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Property tax appeals  (Read 744 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »

From today's Ariozna Daily Star:

Even though many property tax rates have gone down this year, Pima County taxpayers will likely see larger bills because, on average, housing valuations have again increased.
The Pima County Board of Supervisors is scheduled to adopt new property tax rates today at 9 a.m. The rates are half the equation determining property tax bills. The other half is property valuations, which homeowners were notified of previously.

Valuations for the upcoming tax year are based on home sales in 2006 and 2007, before the housing market turned so drastically downward.

-----

I wonder how many will appeal their phoney assessments?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »

Most assessments are phony. In Pennsylvania, my house "assessed" for 1/3 of it's actual value, which is supposed to give the tax payer some sort of deluded feeling that he's scored a "deal." In Massachusetts, state law requires homes to be reassessed every year, with a detailed assessment done every x number of years. It's the most fair system I can think of.

In any case, it's not the value of your house that determines how much you pay. It's the value of your home relative to other homes in your neighborhood that determines how much you pay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »

If you listen to some on this forum, no one will appeal higher taxes.  Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:15:59 AM »

If you listen to some on this forum, no one will appeal higher taxes.  Roll Eyes
Well, in Minnesota property taxes have gone through the roof in the past 6 years because of huge cuts in state aid to local governments.  The tax increases have been the largest in poor areas while only the richest communities have seen small increases.

But I guess as long as the gov gets to claim "he held taxes down", it's okay.

It's also cute when he suggests that cities and counties are just irresponsible and should be cutting their budgets as well.  Unfortunately all of the fat was cut after the huge round of 2003 cuts (which were never restored).. and so now the cities are cutting firemen and police because there is nothing else to trim from the budget... AND the property taxes are still going up like crazy. 

This is what happens when you issue tax rebates at the top of an economic expansion and then cut taxes (mostly to on the higher rates, of course) to 'balance' future budgets.  When the economy turned south, we found ourselves with a huge budget deficit.

How do we pay for it?  Just pass the deficits onto local governments.  Oh, and gut higher education so that tuition is going up 15% per year at public colleges.

I can't wait until Timmy "Kick the can down the road" Pawlenty runs for president and he faceplants in Iowa.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 02:02:44 AM »

Most assessments are phony. In Pennsylvania, my house "assessed" for 1/3 of it's actual value, which is supposed to give the tax payer some sort of deluded feeling that he's scored a "deal." In Massachusetts, state law requires homes to be reassessed every year, with a detailed assessment done every x number of years. It's the most fair system I can think of.

In any case, it's not the value of your house that determines how much you pay. It's the value of your home relative to other homes in your neighborhood that determines how much you pay.

Actually,  assessment laws vary radically state by state.

A lot of factors go into a real assessment.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:17:16 PM »

This has been a big issue in the county next to mine over the past year. The reassessment was conducted last summer, presumably based on older valuations, and for the first time in (I think) 20+ years. The result was chaos as some people saw their tax bills not only triple or quadruple, but climb above the market value of their homes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies