Is Sinclair Group Right or Wrong?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:08:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Is Sinclair Group Right or Wrong?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Sinclair Group Right or Wrong in forcing its stations to air an anti-Kerry documentary while not showing an anti-Bush documentary?
Right

Wrong

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Is Sinclair Group Right or Wrong?  (Read 6292 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2004, 09:59:45 PM »

Personally I find this to be exceptionally disturbing.  It really is a blatant attempt to try to influence the election in favor of their preferred candidate.  I can only imagine the outcry if a network decided to air Fahrenheit 911 shortly before the election.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:17 PM »

Its wrong, and possibly illegal under McCain-Feingold.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:03:07 PM »

McCain-Feingold is playing with fire
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 10:04:02 PM »

It is very bad news, but not 'wrong'.  If there really were a liberal media they should run F-9/11 and other anti-Bush material gratis.  Alas I don't think there are any.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »

Isn't this a publically traded company?  Because this action is blatantly against the financial interests of the shareholders.  It may be possible that the shareholders could bring a "derivative" class action against the corporate executives to stop them from doing this.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 10:14:45 PM »

Is there ANYTHING that actually is illegal under McCain-Feingold.?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 10:19:35 PM »

I don't particularily care.  The movie is a bad idea.  The company has any right to do what it wants.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »

You mean is legal?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 10:37:50 PM »

I will point out that the group has invited Kerry to participate in a panel discussion after the broadcast.  That seems to comply with the legal requirements.

I voted yes, largely because I feel that the owner has a right to express their opionn.  If it were on in Phila, would I watch it?  It frankly would depend what else was on the other chanels.

The issue of Kerry's service and Bush's service doesn't tell will do as president.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 10:43:58 PM »

I will point out that the group has invited Kerry to participate in a panel discussion after the broadcast.  That seems to comply with the legal requirements.

I voted yes, largely because I feel that the owner has a right to express their opionn.  If it were on in Phila, would I watch it?  It frankly would depend what else was on the other chanels.

The issue of Kerry's service and Bush's service doesn't tell will do as president.

So basically you would be ok with it if CBS decided to air Fahrenheit 911 on Nov 1st if they invited Bush to participate in a panel discussion afterwards?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:47:30 PM »

I wouldn't care even if they didn't invite Bush to participate in a panel discussion.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:45 PM »

So basically you would be ok with it if CBS decided to air Fahrenheit 911 on Nov 1st if they invited Bush to participate in a panel discussion afterwards?

Pretty much.  Moore is talking about offering it PPV.  I'll keep my $9.95. 

We live in something called a "free country."  I may strongly disagree with the content of the film, and might object to either presentation on other grounds (language), but if Moore wishes to potentially lose a lot of profit, and CBS a lot of advertising revenue, they are free to do it.  I won't be watching it.

I feel the same way about the Sinclair Group.  Bush will get my vote, but that doesn't mean the Sinclair group will get my revenue.

That's one of the reasons you have not heard me criticize the 527 groups.  If I want to spend my money to say, accurately, that "John Kerry admitted to commited atrocities in Vietnam and comes from a family with a history of drug dealing," I have that right.

I'll add that both statements are technically accurate, but are distorted to sound much worse that what they are in their real context.

I don't think that this statement is relevant to Kerry's ability, or lack thereof, to govern.  I feel the same way about the TX Air National Guard claims by critics of Bush.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 11:23:06 PM »

Sinclair was the same corporation who refused to air a show listing the soldiers dead in Iraq because it was "too political." And now this.

Two words: What idiots.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 11:44:42 PM »

As Alcon pointed out this is the same company that refused to air the "Nightline" naming of the dead in Iraq.

This is purley political.  WishI could find the site, but the heads of Sinclair have donated HEAVILY towards Bush, and 97% of their Political Contributions have been to Republicans  NINETY SEVEN %.  Hmmmm.........
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 11:49:09 PM »

I disagree with their decision this time.  Although I didn't really see the Nightline episode as a tribute as much as a ploy.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 12:50:52 AM »

It is illegal to use federal money to kill your opponent.  It is allowed if you use private donations.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 01:06:58 AM »

I like this idea! This is playing politics the way I like it. Down and dirty. And yes, I do agree with playing politics dirty, so I just thought I'd state that before yall started questioning me on it. Richard Nixon is a personal hero of mine.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 01:23:37 AM »

I like this idea! This is playing politics the way I like it. Down and dirty. And yes, I do agree with playing politics dirty, so I just thought I'd state that before yall started questioning me on it. Richard Nixon is a personal hero of mine.

So much for an America where everyone has an equal opportunity.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 01:26:15 AM »

I voted wrong because quite frankly I don't see where this is going to help the Sinclair Group and can see where it will hurt that corporation.  The first duty of a corporation is it s fiduciary responsibility and there is no way that they will make more money by showing this than by showing something else, as if I were an advertiser, I wouldn't touch this with a 10 meter pole.  I can't see where the Sinclair Group is going to gain any stroke with Bush from this should he win while this could very well open up the broadcast media to a revived fairness doctrine if Kerry wins.  Now if the Sinclair Group were a private entity I wouldn't see anything wrong with this, altho given our convoluted campaign finace laws, I can't say whether the FEC will decide in 2009 that there might have been something illegal done here.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 01:28:50 AM »

Republicans have no choice but to play dirty because Democrats have done so for years. And if you don't play dirty you will be eatin alive by your opponent. Sad state of affairs but very very true.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 01:30:26 AM »

So long as everyone has the same opportunity to buy a television station, it does.  Freedom of the press means that the owner of that press can put out what he wants, not that he has to put out a bland summary of everyone's tastes in matters political.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 01:37:05 AM »

OJ Simpson proved to us that justice is for sale.  Now Bush and the Sinclair group are proving that elections are for sale too.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 01:40:37 AM »

OJ Simpson proved to us that justice is for sale.  Now Bush and the Sinclair group are proving that elections are for sale too.

If you think this is only the first or second election to be for sale then you are kidding yourself. Almost every presidential election has been for sale or been tampered with, etc.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 04:14:03 AM »

In Britain this would not be shown during an electoral season. They should show both or neither.
shankbear

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 08:24:23 AM »

Every mainstream media outlet (abc, cBS and NBC) has been nothing but an organ for the Kerry campaign.  Mikie Mooreon's hit piece flick was the same.  All the well timed hatchet job books by the likes of Kitty Smelly Kelly, Richard Clark, John Dean, et al have been the same.

So a media outlet decides that it wants to allow the presentation of another point of view.  LET THE WHINEFEST begin from the left.

Has there been any demonstrable evidence to show that this stuff moves the electorate?  Post the links as to what doofases have been swayed by Mooreon.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies