Born abroad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:30:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Born abroad
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Born abroad  (Read 4526 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

Avoiding foreign influence, OK. Considering Obama hardly knew his father, he didn't exactly have much "foreign influence".
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »

Avoiding foreign influence, OK. Considering Obama hardly knew his father, he didn't exactly have much "foreign influence".

So then, what do we know.

He was born a British subject, and then attended a Catholic School in Indonesia for several years, where he was registered as an Indonesian citizen named "Barry Soetoro" and his religion listed as "Muslim" (according to the school's records) by his mother's husband Lolo Soetoro, who may have adopted Barack Obama. The he transferred to a Madrassa, where he was a student until he age of ten.

There is speculation about "Barry's" possible Indonesian citizenship, since adoption by Lolo Soetoro prior to "Barry's" fifth birthday would have automatically made him an Indonesian citizen. That citizenship would explain his being allowed to enroll in an Indonesian public school.

Barack Obama's admission to having traveled to Pakistan while the nation was under military rule adds fuel to the citizenship question, since it was quite difficult to travel there with a US passport at that time, but far easier for someone holding Indonesian citizenship, and an Indonesian passport.

These questions could be easily settled, if not for the fact that his adoption records, along with his kindergarten records, Punahou school records, Occidental College records, Columbia University records, Columbia thesis, Harvard Law School records, Harvard Law Review articles, scholarly articles from the University of Chicago, his passport, medical records, files from his years as an Illinois state senator, and Illinois State Bar Association records, are all sealed.

Doesn't that set off an alarm in your head?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »

The alarm that tells me your a lier?

Yes!
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »

So then, what do we know.

He was born a British subject, and then attended a Catholic School in Indonesia for several years, where he was registered as an Indonesian citizen named "Barry Soetoro" and his religion listed as "Muslim" (according to the school's records) by his mother's husband Lolo Soetoro, who may have adopted Barack Obama. The he transferred to a Madrassa, where he was a student until he age of ten.

There is speculation about "Barry's" possible Indonesian citizenship, since adoption by Lolo Soetoro prior to "Barry's" fifth birthday would have automatically made him an Indonesian citizen. That citizenship would explain his being allowed to enroll in an Indonesian public school.

Barack Obama's admission to having traveled to Pakistan while the nation was under military rule adds fuel to the citizenship question, since it was quite difficult to travel there with a US passport at that time, but far easier for someone holding Indonesian citizenship, and an Indonesian passport.

These questions could be easily settled, if not for the fact that his adoption records, along with his kindergarten records, Punahou school records, Occidental College records, Columbia University records, Columbia thesis, Harvard Law School records, Harvard Law Review articles, scholarly articles from the University of Chicago, his passport, medical records, files from his years as an Illinois state senator, and Illinois State Bar Association records, are all sealed.

What does his Columbia thesis have to do with anything? Or his school records?

Yep, this is starting to set off an alarm in my head.

"Shut the gates! Troll coming!".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »

I don't quite understand why you're so obsessed with this.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

Because some people can't accept when they've lost.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »

Not a concept I understand. I'm a Sunderland fan.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »

The alarm that tells me your a lier?

Yes!

I didn't come here to exchange vitriol with spelling-challenged posters.

Have a nice day.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »

You're not required to understand why I do anything, nor do I require your understanding in anything that I find interesting.

I find this a fascinating subject, or rather, I find this one of many fascinating subjects that I like to research. This controversy has legs, what it lacks is a right-wing Michael Moore to give it screen time.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »

You cannot be both a natural born citizen, and a British subject at birth.

Of course you can. British subjects are not British citizens. The terms are not the same.

You're British, or do you just live there?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So the question now becomes, how can Obama be both a natural born citizen, and a British citizen at birth?
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »

Then again, the argument can be made that if indeed a person who does not meet the Constitutional requirement for the Presidency won, we all lost.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »

So the question now becomes, how can Obama be both a natural born citizen, and a British citizen at birth?

Because as I have previously pointed out, unlike the 18th century, the concept of dual citizenship is both well established and accepted today. The concept arose because unlike the 18th century, females today retain their original citizenship when they marry, instead of becoming a mere legal appendage of their husband.  The wording of both the XIVth and XIXth Amendments can be viewed as an implicit incorporation of the doctrine that females hold citizenship independent of any attachment to a male they may have into constitutional practice.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:45 AM »

You cannot be both a natural born citizen, and a British subject at birth.

Of course you can. British subjects are not British citizens. The terms are not the same.

You're British, or do you just live there?

The former. I don't think the 1948 Act is the one you should be referring to. There have been several later acts.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

In the same way that I am a natural-born citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen at birth.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »

In the same way that I am a natural-born citizen and a Bangladeshi German citizen at birth.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »

In the same way that I am a natural-born citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen at birth.

You may think that you are, but that's not necessarily the case.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

Natural-born citizen means citizen at birth. As I was born in the United States, I was a citizen at birth, and hence natural-born.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

My last post on the subject...

People wish to equate being born a citizen, or even gaining citizenship via being born on US soil (both instances of citizenship at birth) with the term "natural born citizen" found in the Constitution.

If "natural born" is defined as citizenship at birth, then the XIV Amendment recognizes the rights of naturalized citizens to become President of the United States, since it guarantees them every privilege and immunity held by persons who are born citizens.

The only counter to that argument, is to introduce the notion of citizenship by birthright, and defining "natural born citizen" as a son/daughter of citizen parents. 

Do that, and we run smack into the prevailing definition at the time that the Constitution was written...Vattel. Then the argument boils down to whether that annoying "s" is there or not.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »

Natural-born citizen means citizen at birth. As I was born in the United States, I was a citizen at birth, and hence natural-born.

So, according to you, an illegal alien's anchor baby can be President.

Nice.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »

Nice.
Yes. Duh.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »

If "natural born" is defined as citizenship at birth, then the XIV Amendment recognizes the rights of naturalized citizens to become President of the United States, since it guarantees them every privilege and immunity held by persons who are born citizens.

Point me to where it says this.

Nice.

Whether it's "nice" or not is irrelevant. It's what the Constitution says.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »

Nice.

Yes, it is nice. One of the few areas where the United States isn't hopelessly backwards.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »

Point me to where it says this.

Nice.

Whether it's "nice" or not is irrelevant. It's what the Constitution says.

Where?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »

Are you trying to argue that to become POTUS, not only must a person be born in the US (given), but their parents must have as well?  Even if such an argument were to hold up in court (and you'd think that such a case might have been attempted by now), that's a needlessly high bar to have to jump.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »

What would be wrong with an illegal immigrant's anchor baby being President anyway? Is it impossible for someone born under such circumstances to grow up to be a very productive member of society?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies