Born abroad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:01:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Born abroad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Born abroad  (Read 4591 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: August 17, 2009, 07:00:10 PM »

Ok, even if we assume that Obama was born in Kenya (which I don't believe), isn't it true he'd he still natural born citizen, because of his mother U.S. citizenship?

For example Lowell Weicker, when thought about 1980 presidential bid, asked his lawyers if the fact he was born in Paris makes him ineglible. They said no, because he was born to U.S. citizens.

What do you think?

A birthers arguement would be that he only had one American parent, instead of 2.

Irrelevant.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »

The Constitutional standard is "natural born" citizen, as understood by the people who wrote the Constitution.

Demonstrably false. The Constitutional standard is "natural born" citizen. What those who wrote it felt is irrelevant.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

So the question now becomes, how can Obama be both a natural born citizen, and a British citizen at birth?

In the same way that I am a natural-born citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen at birth.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

So the question now becomes, how can Obama be both a natural born citizen, and a British citizen at birth?

In the same way that I am a natural-born citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen at birth.

You may think that you are, but that's not necessarily the case.

Natural-born citizen means citizen at birth. As I was born in the United States, I was a citizen at birth, and hence natural-born.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »

If "natural born" is defined as citizenship at birth, then the XIV Amendment recognizes the rights of naturalized citizens to become President of the United States, since it guarantees them every privilege and immunity held by persons who are born citizens.

Point me to where it says this.

You may think that you are, but that's not necessarily the case.

Natural-born citizen means citizen at birth. As I was born in the United States, I was a citizen at birth, and hence natural-born.

So, according to you, an illegal alien's anchor baby can be President.

Nice.

Whether it's "nice" or not is irrelevant. It's what the Constitution says.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies