The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50253 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

Expect Mideast education numbers tomorrow. If someone can get me any laws passed by the Pacific on education, I would appreciate not having to hunt for them myself.

By the way, if it has not yet been noted, Saturdays are the GM's day off. Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

Hey PS, you may want to proof read the most recent update.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »

Hey PS, you may want to proof read the most recent update.

Had a feeling I may miss something. All fixed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

Housing data gives me more cause for concern. Hopefully my credit bill will have some impact. Which should be introduced by tomorrow.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

Housing data gives me more cause for concern. Hopefully my credit bill will have some impact. Which should be introduced by tomorrow.

For the remaining economic stuff up on the queue I've been having trouble finding data. If you could point me in the right direction (feel free to post it or PM it to me) it would be appreciated.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »

For the remaining economic stuff up on the queue I've been having trouble finding data. If you could point me in the right direction (feel free to post it or PM it to me) it would be appreciated.

Okay, if I am correct the two remaining are Factory and Durable Goods orders. Thats good, cause they go hand in hand. Durable Goods+NonDurable Goods=Factory Orders. Just for a reminder durable goods last longer then 3 years(I realise I told you 6 months before, I was incorrect) and non durable last less then 3 years.

Durable Goods only
http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/m3/
http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/m3/adv/pdf/durgd.pdf

Total Factory orders
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112467517
http://www.reuters.com/article/gc04/idUSTRE58147L20090902
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »

I didn't notice till know that Crude oil raced up to the $80's recently. We may have to take drastic actions. I hope recent bills by Marokai and others might have an impact. If not, or if not enough, I might have one or two arrows in my quiver but neither is very promising either. We did Health Care, the biggest drain on consumers and small Business. The next biggest drain is Energy costs. Whats left to be done, that hasn't already though? Atlasia has programs for Mass Transportation and alternative energy, and have done much more then in RL in general. We start getting over $100 is when the cause for concern becomes real. 
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »

I didn't notice till know that Crude oil raced up to the $80's recently. We may have to take drastic actions. I hope recent bills by Marokai and others might have an impact. If not, or if not enough, I might have one or two arrows in my quiver but neither is very promising either. We did Health Care, the biggest drain on consumers and small Business. The next biggest drain is Energy costs. Whats left to be done, that hasn't already though? Atlasia has programs for Mass Transportation and alternative energy, and have done much more then in RL in general. We start getting over $100 is when the cause for concern becomes real. 

Most of the current increases in crude oil are a result of the tension in South America. It is understandable that the Senate does not have all that much power to change things there. Diplomacy mostly depend on how the executive handles the situation. HW has tried. Perhaps Lief will as well?

I have not yet made up my mind on how the matter there will proceed. It really can go either way (war or deescalation), but it depends fully on how it is handled.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »

Most of the current increases in crude oil are a result of the tension in South America. It is understandable that the Senate does not have all that much power to change things there. Diplomacy mostly depend on how the executive handles the situation. HW has tried. Perhaps Lief will as well?

I have not yet made up my mind on how the matter there will proceed. It really can go either way (war or deescalation), but it depends fully on how it is handled.

I was referring to our dependence on oil in general. Do we still rely on imported oil for 70% of Atlasias energy or has that gone up or down from RL at all?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »

I was referring to our dependence on oil in general. Do we still rely on imported oil for 70% of Atlasias energy or has that gone up or down from RL at all?

That number is closer to 60% at the moment, with a likely drastic decrease as renewable energy initiatives propagate and launch. So in that sense, the price of crude oil may not be as significant, but is still significant. Not to mention cars still mostly use gas, so the average Atlasian is feeling the pinch.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2009, 01:27:27 PM »

If any accuses Atlasia of not doing enough to reduce its dependence on foreign oil, my head will explode. One need only look through the massive expenditures pushed through (in part during my administration) to expand mass transit opportunities. Not to mention the fact that Atlasia put so many tax benefits on hybrids that they're subsidized below the cost of non-hybrid vehicles.

Besides, given the imposition of the Carbon Tax, what is gas now, maybe $5 a gallon?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

If any accuses Atlasia of not doing enough to reduce its dependence on foreign oil, my head will explode. One need only look through the massive expenditures pushed through (in part during my administration) to expand mass transit opportunities. Not to mention the fact that Atlasia put so many tax benefits on hybrids that they're subsidized below the cost of non-hybrid vehicles.

Besides, given the imposition of the Carbon Tax, what is gas now, maybe $5 a gallon?

I am aware of this and beleive I mentioned it in my post, hence the point, what else could be done?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     951.50  +2.50 (0.26%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.99053 U.S. (-0.000332)
  • Crude Oil = $85.25/barrel +2.86 (3.47%)

Analysis:
The ANSE rose slightly as investors continue to await substantive economic initiatives, while the reality of the legislative process sets in.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as commodities, led by Oil, rose significantly

Oil increased by nearly three-and-a-half percent as Colombia was rocked by a FARC attack and war with Venezuela seems almost inevitable.

Sometimes I just gets so pissed at Chavez, I want to aim an ICBM at the mens room of his Presidential palace.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2009, 08:07:49 PM »

National News

From the GM’s Desk: Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill
An important function of the Game Moderator is to provide functional and timely information to not only discussing the impact of Senate legislation, but also to notify the Senate and nation about possible effects of legislation currently being debated. To achieve this function, the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald launches the series “From the GM’s Desk.”

Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill: This legislation, proposed by Senator Marokai Blue and currently being debated in the Senate, seeks to establish an $8 billion, six-month program to increase short-term demand for automobiles through a rebate scheme, while also promoting trade-ins of old “clunker” vehicles for more fuel-efficient cars, trucks and SUVs.

The Office of the GM believes that this legislation would generate nearly 2 million rebate applications for approximately $7.75 billion. This will translate into nearly $60 billion of economic activity, a massive short-term boost to domestic auto sales benefiting local car dealers throughout Atlasia first and foremost. Of that, it is likely that $24 billion, or 40 percent, will be from those who had not previously planned to purchase a new car. This is three times the amount spent by the government on the program, not including expectations of increased production by automakers, increased spending from rebates and other effects.

The environmental impact of the bill is less clear. If someone swapped a clunker that got 18 miles per gallon for a new car that got 27.5 mpg (the current average fuel economy standard for passenger cars) and drove it for 12,000 miles (the average distance an Atlasian car travels annually), you would personally save a little more than two tons of CO2 from being emitted in one year. However, manufacturing a new car produces 6.7 tons of carbon dioxide on average, the equivalent of burning approximately 700 gallons of gas.

The likely environmental results of the program would require at least two years before realizing CO2 reductions. If each car purchased is kept for 10 years, then the total savings should be a little less than 26.6 million tons of carbon dioxide. That means each ton of carbon dioxide would be worth about $291.35 to the Atlasian government. A ton of CO2 currently goes for about $17.50 on the European Climate Exchange.

The environmental gain comes from raising the Average MPG of the US car fleet. The CO2 reductions may not be realised immediately.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

National News

From the GM’s Desk: Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill
An important function of the Game Moderator is to provide functional and timely information to not only discussing the impact of Senate legislation, but also to notify the Senate and nation about possible effects of legislation currently being debated. To achieve this function, the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald launches the series “From the GM’s Desk.”

Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill: This legislation, proposed by Senator Marokai Blue and currently being debated in the Senate, seeks to establish an $8 billion, six-month program to increase short-term demand for automobiles through a rebate scheme, while also promoting trade-ins of old “clunker” vehicles for more fuel-efficient cars, trucks and SUVs.

The Office of the GM believes that this legislation would generate nearly 2 million rebate applications for approximately $7.75 billion. This will translate into nearly $60 billion of economic activity, a massive short-term boost to domestic auto sales benefiting local car dealers throughout Atlasia first and foremost. Of that, it is likely that $24 billion, or 40 percent, will be from those who had not previously planned to purchase a new car. This is three times the amount spent by the government on the program, not including expectations of increased production by automakers, increased spending from rebates and other effects.

The environmental impact of the bill is less clear. If someone swapped a clunker that got 18 miles per gallon for a new car that got 27.5 mpg (the current average fuel economy standard for passenger cars) and drove it for 12,000 miles (the average distance an Atlasian car travels annually), you would personally save a little more than two tons of CO2 from being emitted in one year. However, manufacturing a new car produces 6.7 tons of carbon dioxide on average, the equivalent of burning approximately 700 gallons of gas.

The likely environmental results of the program would require at least two years before realizing CO2 reductions. If each car purchased is kept for 10 years, then the total savings should be a little less than 26.6 million tons of carbon dioxide. That means each ton of carbon dioxide would be worth about $291.35 to the Atlasian government. A ton of CO2 currently goes for about $17.50 on the European Climate Exchange.

The environmental gain comes from raising the Average MPG of the US car fleet. The CO2 reductions may not be realised immediately.

The bill raises the average MPG of the Atlasian car fleet insofar as it leads people to purchase vehicles with higher fuel efficiency. Based on the number of cars that are likely to be purchased, in combination with the average MPG change between the car traded in and the new car purchased, the number of years most cars are used, the number of miles each car drives, etc., it was determined that the long-run environmental impact would be tangible, but overpaid for.

This is not to say that the economic impact of the bill will not be substantial, as the report does state significant economic benefits. But the bill should not be viewed as a productive way to reduce CO2 emissions. If the intent of the legislation was to reduce emissions alone, this would be a pretty bad bill.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     945.50  -5.00 (0.53%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.98492 U.S. (-0.00302)
  • Crude Oil = $89.46/barrel +3.09 (3.58%)

Analysis:
The ANSE continued to decline slightly as the Senate appears to lack focus and direction. Without an elected PPT for the first week of Senate activity, in addition to the grinding legislative procedure, economists worry major economic legislation will not come soon enough. These losses, however, are being tempered by the expected release of the first stimulus funds to the regions. No region has yet outlined a method to apportion those funds.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as Oil spiked.

Oil prices neared $90 per barrel as major news from South America seemed to indicate an inevitable clash between close Atlasian ally Colombia and major oil producer Venezuela. Without any word from President Lief or the Senate, many worry that a war between the two nations could disrupt the production of oil.

Really!?! The regions apportion some of the stimulus money. Did not know that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     945.50  -5.00 (0.53%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.98492 U.S. (-0.00302)
  • Crude Oil = $89.46/barrel +3.09 (3.58%)

Analysis:
The ANSE continued to decline slightly as the Senate appears to lack focus and direction. Without an elected PPT for the first week of Senate activity, in addition to the grinding legislative procedure, economists worry major economic legislation will not come soon enough. These losses, however, are being tempered by the expected release of the first stimulus funds to the regions. No region has yet outlined a method to apportion those funds.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as Oil spiked.

Oil prices neared $90 per barrel as major news from South America seemed to indicate an inevitable clash between close Atlasian ally Colombia and major oil producer Venezuela. Without any word from President Lief or the Senate, many worry that a war between the two nations could disrupt the production of oil.

Really!?! The regions apportion some of the stimulus money. Did not know that.

Yup. They get some direct cash, so it would be nice if they had some way to distribute it. There are also portions of funding that go to federal programs run by the regions, which means how the regions spend that money exactly, within the confines of the law, is up to them.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

How are those Factory/Durable Goods orders coming?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2009, 08:41:46 PM »

Working on it. I'm trying to keep it at one story a day (to keep me sane) and there is much to report on. You will hopefully get them this week.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2009, 09:45:07 PM by GM Purple State »

Working on it. I'm trying to keep it at one story a day (to keep me sane) and there is much to report on. You will hopefully get them this week.

You will definitely get it Tuesday. Minimum wage on Monday. Foreign news tomorrow.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »

Can someone (other than the Sentinel, thanks Vepres) actually pay attention and comment about what's going on? I mean, does no one care?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

Oh sh!t, I go to eat brunch and our embassy is attacked.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

Can someone (other than the Sentinel, thanks Vepres) actually pay attention and comment about what's going on? I mean, does no one care?

I'm thinking of an appropriate response.  Also PS can you ge on AIM?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »

The Columbian Crisis: Atlasia Held Hostage
Day: 1

(Now if only we can get Ted Koppel! Cheesy)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

After today, there will be occasional top-secret intelligence briefings for the President, VP, SoEA and PPT.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies