The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50251 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »

To be fair, abolishing regional senate seats is not the same as abolishing regions. And I also find it a little suspect that the GM is trying to change the type of governments that individual regions want to set up. If some want elected legislatures, that's awesome. If some want to do the every citizen is part of the legislature deal, that should be fine too. I'm pretty sure that's what regional rights are all about, no?
I think the GM's main request is that you just increase activity. I think everyone can agree that the Pacific region is the most inactive and boring region in Atlasia.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »

Whether its most prominent residents, whose political leanings tend to favor abolition of the regions, view this as a positive or negative aspect cannot be determined by this office

I'd say its most prominent residents have a strong pro-regional tendency.  bgwah, for example, is a reactionary on the issue.

Do you even know what "reactionary" means?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »

I highly advise Purple State stop politicizing the GM position. Highly advise.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »

To be fair, abolishing regional senate seats is not the same as abolishing regions. And I also find it a little suspect that the GM is trying to change the type of governments that individual regions want to set up. If some want elected legislatures, that's awesome. If some want to do the every citizen is part of the legislature deal, that should be fine too. I'm pretty sure that's what regional rights are all about, no?
I think the GM's main request is that you just increase activity. I think everyone can agree that the Pacific region is the most inactive and boring region in Atlasia.

You hit it right on the head. No where did I recommend that the Pacific institute an elected legislature. I said: a) act on my previous economic recommendations and b) ensure that the region's existing dictates are actually being abided by.

I highly advise Purple State stop politicizing the GM position. Highly advise.

I highly advise that you know what is going on before you choose to comment. No where in that post did I politicize this office or push a personal agenda (besides the agenda of following the law, but I guess that's hard for some).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »

Most curious about the region is the seeming lack of adherence to its own constitutional dictates. Seeing the document as more like guidelines than rules, very little proposed legislation in the region is actually voted on and even fewer votes are tallied for results.

Technically, legislation can only be brought to a vote if it has the signature of three residents and/or the Governor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »

Most curious about the region is the seeming lack of adherence to its own constitutional dictates. Seeing the document as more like guidelines than rules, very little proposed legislation in the region is actually voted on and even fewer votes are tallied for results.

Technically, legislation can only be brought to a vote if it has the signature of three residents and/or the Governor.

Voting on the Bill Frist bill has been open for about two and a half weeks, when the proper legal limit is one week.

Really, I am more concerned with general inactivity. The Pacific was the first region to bring legislation to address its regional budget report, yet has been unable to move forward on it since.  It has neither an active legislative system (as every other region arguably has), nor does it have an active governor. Most of the time it serves as a dead region.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2009, 11:37:42 PM by ilikeverin »

Whether its most prominent residents, whose political leanings tend to favor abolition of the regions, view this as a positive or negative aspect cannot be determined by this office

I'd say its most prominent residents have a strong pro-regional tendency.  bgwah, for example, is a reactionary on the issue.

Yes.
<-Radical----Liberal----Moderate----Conservative----Reactionary->

I'd say clapping your hands over your ears and going "lalala, regions are just swell in every way!" hearkens back to the days of yore entirely too much, wouldn't you?

Similarly, my impractical support of the complete abolition of regions is extreme enough (in a "change the foundations of society") way that it's clearly radical.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »

A GM "Hatch Act" wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »

A GM "Hatch Act" wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

I stand strongly against any sort of restriction of GM speech. Outside of the actual reporting of news, which I have kept fairly equal, the GM should have the right to speak and act just as any other citizen.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »

Hi all, another one of those holidays, plus fall break, so I will be away from 3pm today until Monday evening. Please don't do any crazy stuff, would ya? Oh, and this should be the last holiday like this for a while.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »

Yes.

I'd say clapping your hands over your ears and going "lalala, regions are just swell in every way!" hearkens back to the days of yore entirely too much, wouldn't you?

Similarly, my impractical support of the complete abolition of regions is extreme enough (in a "change the foundations of society") way that it's clearly radical.

No, reactionary doesn't mean super-conservative. It suggests I want to revert to some previous condition or state. I do not desire to regress to a previous state. I seek to conserve the present state by keeping the regions, making me a conservative on the issue.

If regions were abolished, and I was calling for their return, then I would be a reactionary.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

Yes.

You just don't want to admit regions are making a big comeback as far as activity is concerned Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »

Yes.

You just don't want to admit regions are making a big comeback as far as activity is concerned Tongue

And as far as impact is concerned, they're just as irrelevant.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »

Yes.

And as far as impact is concerned, they're just as irrelevant.

Step number two in Marokai's handbook to success in politics: Never admit to being wrong on big issues. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

It's because he isn't wrong.

I remember when he was saying the same things to me that you now say to him. It was just half a year ago...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »

I remember when he was saying the same things to me that you now say to him. It was just half a year ago...

Those weren't about policy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »

How would you know the conversations we had in private?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »

Well its not like you have change positions that much before or since. My guess is they focused on other matters.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »

Well its not like you have change positions that much before or since. My guess is they focused on other matters.

I used to be very pro-region. You can look back on my former posts in the Social Democratic Party and my early days in the JCP as proof of that. Xahar and I used to conflict over the issue of regional rights a great deal, mostly in private, and especially over my constant efforts to bring myself closer to the RPP.

Over time, however, my positions on regional rights evolved to what they are now. Xahar was right all along on the issue and I apologized to him awhile back for my youthful ignorance, if you will.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »

I used to be very pro-region. You can look back on my former posts in the Social Democratic Party and my early days in the JCP as proof of that. Xahar and I used to conflict over the issue of regional rights a great deal, mostly in private, and especially over my constant efforts to bring myself closer to the RPP.

Over time, however, my positions on regional rights evolved to what they are now. Xahar was right all along on the issue and I apologized to him awhile back for my youthful ignorance, if you will.

Well instead of one of you being wrong and the other right, now both of you are wrong, and I am right. Nice how that works out. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

Yes.

No, reactionary doesn't mean super-conservative. It suggests I want to revert to some previous condition or state. I do not desire to regress to a previous state. I seek to conserve the present state by keeping the regions, making me a conservative on the issue.

If regions were abolished, and I was calling for their return, then I would be a reactionary.

As I recall, you entire arguments earlier this year were that regions were once great and miraculous and could be again if only we (insert your manifesto here).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »

Yes.

As I recall, you entire arguments earlier this year were that regions were once great and miraculous and could be again if only we (insert your manifesto here).

But you just said I was saying "Regions are just swell in every way!" Trying to save face for misunderstanding a basic political term? I'm a little surprised you didn't know what reactionary means, but I don't think you're dumb because of it or anything. Just an honest mistake. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »

Yes.

But you just said I was saying "Regions are just swell in every way!" Trying to save face for misunderstanding a basic political term? I'm a little surprised you didn't know what reactionary means, but I don't think you're dumb because of it or anything. Just an honest mistake. Smiley

reactionary
adjective
1. opposed to change; urging a return to a previous state
2. very conservative

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reactionary
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »

Ah, I see Jas, still humiliated that he lost to Keystone Phil (really, can you possibly be more of a loser?), that his failed ideology was not only defeated but proven oh so wrong, could not resist an opportunity to get a quick punch in on a political enemy of his.

Hurry, Jas! Run back into the shadows and cower in your hole.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »

Ah, I see Jas, still humiliated that he lost to Keystone Phil (really, can you possibly be more of a loser?), that his failed ideology was not only defeated but proven oh so wrong, could not resist an opportunity to get a quick punch in on a political enemy of his.

Hurry, Jas! Run back into the shadows and cower in your hole.

Mmm...okay. I just think if you're going to criticise someone else for apparently not knowing the definitions of words, it'd be nice if you actually knew what it meant yourself.

I've no idea what the rest of your nonsense is about, nor why you feel the need to resort to such petty abuse, but to each their own I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies