To all non-Ron Paul Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  To all non-Ron Paul Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you support Ron Paul if he won the nomination in 2012?
Yes

No

Maybe

I would vote 3rd Party

I wouldn't vote at all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: To all non-Ron Paul Republicans  (Read 3669 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »

I never thought I'd be saying this, but Paul would be one of my favorite Republicans. He may have ideas I'm deeply skeptical of, but at least he has ideas, and he's built his career around them and consistently. That's a refreshing point. Secondly, at least he's intellectual. The other Republicans would just run on death panels and birth certificates, whereas he's run on actual arguments and ideals. That's pretty much the best that I can hope for our of the GOP right now.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »

Chamberlain ducked and hid during the run-up to WWII.  Every political analyst knows what he is famous for - appeasement of Hitler and "peace in our time". 

And no armchair pontificator knows what exactly this meant.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »

Secondly, at least he's intellectual. The other Republicans would just run on death panels and birth certificates,

Seriously?  Who, besides Palin and Gingrich have mentioned "death panels"?  And I can't think of one 2012 contender who has even mentioned birth certificates.  Also, Romney, Jindal, and Gingrich are at least as intellectual as Dr. Paul.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »

Interventionism is not the cause of every foreign policy woe in the 21st century

Actually, yes it is.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You consider a theocratic U.S. puppet regime to be a "decent state."

I much prefer sovereignty, even for nations that are not my own.

Right, the government steals billions from hardworking taxpayers and throws it at corrupt African warlords, if it doesn't go first to rogue terrorist states like 'Israel.'

"Appeasement?" That's laughable. Both world wars were enabled because of the meddling of the U.K. and U.S.A. There would have been peace in his time had Chamberlain not launched an unnecessary and unjust world war.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »

Secondly, at least he's intellectual. The other Republicans would just run on death panels and birth certificates,

Seriously?  Who, besides Palin and Gingrich have mentioned "death panels"?  And I can't think of one 2012 contender who has even mentioned birth certificates.  Also, Romney, Jindal, and Gingrich are at least as intellectual as Dr. Paul.
Jindal? Are you referring to the same Jindal who displayed the intellectual capacity of a fifth-grader in his much-hyped "response" video a few months ago?

Romney is cunning, but no intellectual.

Gingrich is a just a political hack.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »

Jindal? Are you referring to the same Jindal who displayed the intellectual capacity of a fifth-grader in his much-hyped "response" video a few months ago?

Jindal, the Rhodes Scholar.  I don't believe an underwhelming speech should have such a large bearing on a person's intellectual capacity.

Maybe you and I have different understandings of what constitutes an "intellectual".  I put a lot of emphasis on level and quality of education, as well as the person's ability to and manner in which he presents his arguments. 
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »

Right, an undergraduate valedictorian and cum laude graduate of Harvard Business AND Law School is not an intellectual.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »

Jindal, the Rhodes Scholar.  I don't believe an underwhelming speech should have such a large bearing on a person's intellectual capacity.

Maybe you and I have different understandings of what constitutes an "intellectual".  I put a lot of emphasis on level and quality of education,
Education doesn't make one an intellectual. One must be capable of critical thinking, not just regurgitating facts. Jindal deciding to scapegoat volcano monitoring as the source of America's budget deficit was an embarrassment. The juvenile tone of voice just added insult to injury for the GOP.

Which Jindal clearly doesn't have as evidenced by the first time he was presented as a national figure.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »

Right, an undergraduate valedictorian and cum laude graduate of Harvard Business AND Law School is not an intellectual.
G.W. Bush has a Harvard MBA too. What's your point?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »

Hahaha, if that point wasn't successfully understood, I think we found where the lack of intellect is.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

Maybe you and I have different understandings of what constitutes an "intellectual".  I put a lot of emphasis on level and quality of education,
Education doesn't make one an intellectual. One must be capable of critical thinking, not just regurgitating facts. Jindal deciding to scapegoat volcano monitoring as the source of America's budget deficit was an embarrassment. The juvenile tone of voice just added insult to injury for the GOP.

I'm going to go out on a limb in assuming this character isn't a product of higher education.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »

Hahaha, if that point wasn't successfully understood, I think we found where the lack of intellect is.
You mean your pathetically weak argument that MBA = "intellectual"?

Unless you consider Bush an "intellectual" as well, which wouldn't surprise me...
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »

Bush was never able to exhibit the fruits of his education in the real world.  Romney, on the other hand, has done so in leaps and bounds.  A fact which you obviously choose to ignore.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »

Bush was never able to exhibit the fruits of his education in the real world.  Romney, on the other hand, has done so in leaps and bounds.  A fact which you obviously choose to ignore.
So Romney may be a good businessman and skilled politician. That makes him the intellectual leader of the Republican Party? What fresh new ideas has this great intellectual come up with?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »

So Romney may be a good businessman and skilled politician. That makes him the intellectual leader of the Republican Party? What fresh new ideas has this great intellectual come up with?

The requirement for being intellectual is originality in politics?  This is news to me.

Anyway, Romney's entire approach to governing is his "fresh new idea".  Governing based on business principles hasn't been done in decades upon decades.  His entire concept of executive office is completely different than anything we've heard from a major candidate in a long time.  Then there's the issue that no one in American national politics has offered much in the way of originality for as long as I can remember.

And again, if you think you can be unintelligent and graduate with honors from Harvard's Business and Law schools, we've successfully determined who lacks intellect.  And I reiterate my point that one clearly has not attained a higher education if they think that's the case.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:40 AM »

Education doesn't make one an intellectual.

What does? Having the right views?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

The requirement for being intellectual is originality in politics?  This is news to me.
No, it is originality in thought. Romney's political career has been defined by instinctively shifting his policies, beliefs, and presentation to whatever he thought would appeal to 51% of the masses. He may as well just have been a computer that automatically changes positions as poll data comes in. Although I'd personally rather vote for the computer.

Posing as a pro-life conservative may be a fresh new idea to him but no, not really...

If the federal government were run like a business, it would have been out of business long ago. 

Unless he was willing to make the sort of cuts Ron Paul would make, the idea of Romney or anyone else actually delivering on such a promise is laughable.

Not to mention promising to "run government like a business” is one of the oldest clichés in the book anyway.

Perhaps you've just been voting for the wrong people all this time.

The issue here is not intelligence. It is being able to apply the intelligence that counts.

But prove me wrong, let's hear all the "fresh new ideas" Romney is putting forth.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 12:27:16 PM »

I will not support Ron Paul. That is all.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »

Ok, go ahead and keep moving the goalposts, maybe you'll "win" something eventually.

Romney's not intellectual!
Well, he hasn't used his intellect, so he's not really!
But he hasn't come up with any new ideas!
So that doesn't make him the intellectual leader of the party!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

But prove me wrong, let's hear all the "fresh new ideas" Romney is putting forth.

Ok, go ahead and keep moving the goalposts, maybe you'll "win" something eventually.

What a surprise, you came up with nothing.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

What a surprise, you came up with nothing.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the pointlessness of arguing with someone who moves the goalposts.  Every time I make a point, you change what I have to prove.  I have no interest in engaging in such a fruitless labor.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »

Perhaps you are not familiar with the pointlessness of arguing with someone who moves the goalposts.  Every time I make a point, you change what I have to prove.  I have no interest in engaging in such a fruitless labor.
Just keep flailing around, fezzy. I see you debate about as well as that slimeball Romney does. Fortunately neither you nor him have a chance of becoming president. 
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

Just keep flailing around, fezzy. I see you debate about as well as that slimeball Romney does. Fortunately neither you nor him have a chance of becoming president. 

Bahaha, this dude is too much.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies