AR-PPP: Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D) trails a few Republican nobodies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:37:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  AR-PPP: Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D) trails a few Republican nobodies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AR-PPP: Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D) trails a few Republican nobodies  (Read 10791 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2009, 12:33:40 PM by Mr. Moderate »

Blanche Lincoln is either the Democratic version of Susan Collins-ME2008- She will get re-elected despite being vulnerable to defeat due to moderate image or be a Democratic version of Lincoln Chaffee-RI2006- she will lose being a Democrat from an increasingly Red State despite her moderate image.

Agreed, Lincoln will either win or lose.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »

Blanche Lincoln will be fine.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »

Louisiana also has a large leftist base.

Couldn't stop laughing when I saw this comment.  Probably goldmine material.

I mean, I'm sure there are a decent number of white precincts in New Orleans and some college precincts elsewhere that qualify, but...  Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

Good.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »

I mean, I'm sure there are a decent number of white precincts in New Orleans and some college precincts elsewhere that qualify, but...  Smiley
You don't think that blacks are more left wing in Louisiana than in other southern states? New Orleans is as strong Democratic as any Northern city. That qualifies as left wing, and automatically gives any Democratic candidate some sort of base.

Orleans County voted for Mondale at almost 60%. It is pretty leftist.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »

Its amazing that a state without counties could have a county that leftist
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

You don't think that blacks are more left wing in Louisiana than in other southern states? New Orleans is as strong Democratic as any Northern city. That qualifies as left wing, and automatically gives any Democratic candidate some sort of base.

Blacks are not particularly left-wing in any Southern state.  Sure, they want their handouts but on most social issues they can make me look like a flaming liberal. 

I might advise you to actually go the 'hood in New Orleans or Shreveport or go to Baton Rouge or talk with a rural Louisiana black before calling them "left-wing".  I have always found quite a lot in common with those that I've met either in these areas or from these areas politically.

I should also point out that the blacks in New Orleans are only about 25% of the blacks in Louisiana.  A lot of other blacks live in the urban areas of Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Monroe, but there are also a lot of rural blacks (common in the Deep South)

Also, as DWTL pointed out, it's Parish, not County.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2009, 11:35:07 PM by Karma Police »

Blacks are not particularly left-wing in any Southern state.  Sure, they want their handouts but on most social issues they can make me look like a flaming liberal. 

I might advise you to actually go the 'hood in New Orleans or Shreveport or go to Baton Rouge or talk with a rural Louisiana black before calling them "left-wing".  I have always found quite a lot in common with those that I've met either in these areas or from these areas politically.

I should also point out that the blacks in New Orleans are only about 25% of the blacks in Louisiana.  A lot of other blacks live in the urban areas of Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Monroe, but there are also a lot of rural blacks (common in the Deep South)

Well considering that I was calling blacks left wing based on economic positions and not socially, I don't see how any of that matters. I thought it was common knowledge that southern Blacks are not socially liberal. I also know about the rural blacks but I was mainly talking about the urban ones.

I know that, just an error on my part.

This map confuses me(why is St. Tammany Parish voting for this referendum?) but it seems to indicate that Lousiana is relativley leftist economically:
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »

Well considering that I was calling blacks left wing based on economic positions and not socially, I don't see how any of that matters. I thought it was common knowledge that southern Blacks are not socially liberal. I also know about the rural blacks but I was mainly talking about the urban ones.

This map confuses me(why is St. Tammany Parish voting for this referendum?) but it seems to indicate that Lousiana is relativley leftist economically:

Leaving aside the snark about counties vs. parishes, I think the point here is if you're basing Louisiana's "large leftist base" on it's black population, how is it any better than most southern states in that regard? That plus tiny liberal white population around Orleans and universities Spade mentioned doesn't really seem to justify that broad a statement.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Leaving aside the snark about counties vs. parishes, I think the point here is if you're basing Louisiana's "large leftist base" on it's black population, how is it any better than most southern states in that regard? That plus tiny liberal white population around Orleans and universities Spade mentioned doesn't really seem to justify that broad a statement.
Good point, large was to broad of a term. I was wrong here. Point is that Lousiana has more stalwart Democrats than Arkansas due to its large black population. That's it, I was pretty ass backwards here.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »

I skipped over this poll...
I think it's pathetic that she's losing to candidates that a high majority of Arkansas doesn't even know. What will happen once people get to know them, or a somebody actually runs? If Huckabee wanted to, he could crush Lincoln in this race.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

Pathetic? It's great news. Now maybe we'll have less people bringing the party down from the inside.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »

Pathetic? It's great news. Now maybe we'll have less people bringing the party down from the inside.
Good attitude!  That kind of thinking has helped the Republicans fall to 40 seats!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »

Good attitude!  That kind of thinking has helped the Republicans fall to 40 seats!

Jeffords or Chaffee never did anything for ya.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »

I think it's pathetic that she's losing to candidates that a high majority of Arkansas doesn't even know. What will happen once people get to know them, or a somebody actually runs? If Huckabee wanted to, he could crush Lincoln in this race.

It depends on whether the voters really want someone different or just want Lincoln to know they're dissatisfied with her performance. Once they get to know the Republican candidate, they may decide to stick with the devil they know. (Especially when you consider how third-tier the current crop of candidates are.)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »

It depends on whether the voters really want someone different or just want Lincoln to know they're dissatisfied with her performance. Once they get to know the Republican candidate, they may decide to stick with the devil they know. (Especially when you consider how third-tier the current crop of candidates are.)

And considering the ridiculous things these candidates have said as well. Need a new candidate to pop up before I get any hope of picking this up.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »

In my original prediction, I have this one as the surprise seat on election night. Could very well be.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

This was only a matter of time. Arkansas has been moving right recently. I can't see them reelecting Lincoln if the Democrats image is tarnished on election night 2010.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »

This was only a matter of time. Arkansas has been moving right recently. I can't see them reelecting Lincoln if the Democrats image is tarnished on election night 2010.

The thing is, Arkansas loves their Democratic governor and other Democratic senator. It's something about Lincoln that they don't like.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »

The thing is, Arkansas loves their Democratic governor and other Democratic senator. It's something about Lincoln that they don't like.

Blanche Lincoln-AR problem is she does not have a base.  She does not have the charisma or oratory skills as her predecessor Dale Bumpers- and she is more moderate than Dale Bumpers. and Mark Pryor and his father and Mike Beebe are moderate Good Old Boys.

nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 02:22:14 AM »

Uh, no.  The Republicans fell to 40 seats because they spent money with their hearts aflutter, engaged in scandal, ran piss-poor candidates and fell flat when trying to reform the heavily democratic supported Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac - which caused the economic crisis.  In other terms, they acted like Democrats.  They also supported amnesty for illegals and pushed through a big government Medicare reform. 

Then our biggest mistake was running John McCain - a liberal who continues to get elected in a red state that elects hard right wingers, a man whose own signature legislation, campaign finance reform, would have kept Reagan from even being able to run for office if he were running today and whose campaign staff may have wrecked the political future of one of our best elected officials in the party - Palin.  In fact, she was the only good thing that happened as a part of that campaign.  I was getting so sick of McCain calling liberals "my friends"...Teddy Kennedy, all of them...  They are our enemies - a rat's always a rat.  I mean look at their elected officials, not even their moderates are moderate, yet ours sell out our party the first chance they get. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies