NJ GOV: GQR/Democracy Corps has a bridge to sell you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:23:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ GOV: GQR/Democracy Corps has a bridge to sell you
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ GOV: GQR/Democracy Corps has a bridge to sell you  (Read 1955 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

http://www.gqrr.com/articles/2383/5448_NJ%20Statewide%20FQ2%20082609.pdf

Christie (R) leads Corzine (D) and Daggett (I), 43–41–7.

In a two-way race, Christie leads 46–43.

A generic ballot for State Representative puts Democrats ahead, 45–37.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »

I don't buy the numbers themselves but the trend is pretty clear at this point. Don't shoot the messenger, my interest in this race is almost entirely clinical.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »

Try to help me understand. I sometimes see you posting that it would be Corzine's fault if same-sex marriage doesn't happen in New Jersey soon. You obviously don't like Corzine and I don't care about that, but I just find it a bit hypocritical how you're so quick to support Christie, whose Shared Values include a constitutional amendment against it. I mean, it's like I said, I don't care if you hate Corzine and support Christie, but if you're gonna bash Corzine on same-sex marriage, please know that it makes you look silly. Just wanted to get that off my chest.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »

Try to help me understand. I sometimes see you posting that it would be Corzine's fault if same-sex marriage doesn't happen in New Jersey soon. You obviously don't like Corzine and I don't care about that, but I just find it a bit hypocritical how you're so quick to support Christie, whose Shared Values include a constitutional amendment against it. I mean, it's like I said, I don't care if you hate Corzine and support Christie, but if you're gonna bash Corzine on same-sex marriage, please know that it makes you look silly. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Hmm, good post.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

There's no denying that Christie has had a rough August. Two points is unlikely (well, it is a Democratic pollster), but five points wouldn't sound unrealistic to me. Christie might actually be in danger of losing after all.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »

Christie hasn't been on the air since the primary and he's still got a sizeable lead (anywhere between about 7-12 points right now).  Wait til his commercials start running alongside Corzine, if Corzine wasn't winning now he never had a chance of coming back
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »

No, you guys, you don't get it, the Republican internal polls are RIGHT, the Democratic ones are WRONG WRONG WRONG!
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

No, you guys, you don't get it, the Republican internal polls are RIGHT, the Democratic ones are WRONG WRONG WRONG!

^^^

This. Clearly.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »

If Christie can have an August like he is having and still win in deep blue New Jersey, something is very wrong.  Any Democrat would have been dead at this point after an August like this in almost any state. 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

If Christie can have an August like he is having and still win in deep blue New Jersey, something is very wrong.  Any Democrat would have been dead at this point after an August like this in almost any state. 

You forgot that it is called "fools gold New Jersey" for a reason. Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

Guys, new Republican internal poll coming out soon, apparently it shows Christie +30. I won't believe any other kind of poll that comes out.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »

I don't remember anyone ever stresses anything about Republican internals

The only polls I ever allude to are Rasmussen, PPP, Quinnipiac, and occassionally FDU
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 08:37:34 AM »

OK, I'll do my best.

I think I've explained before that I tend to be especially critical of Democrats when it comes to gay rights, and lower the bar significantly when it comes to Republicans.  Democrats act as if they have an entitlement to gay votes, and most gay voters are happy to blindly support any Democrat simply for being the lesser of two evils.  I think it should be clear from the simple fact that I do not self-identify as a Democrat that I do not necessarily buy into this "support Democrats cause you gotta" bunk.  I don't support virulently anti-gay Republicans, and I go out of my way to support Democrats who have been "true friends" when it comes to gay rights.

Certainly, in this case, I do not find Corzine to be a "true friend" and I do not find Christie to be virulently anti-gay.  (More on that later.)

With regard to Corzine, I'm not frustrated with the fact Corzine isn't doing anything now regarding gay marriage, I'm frustrated that New Jersey Democrats were handed the perfect opportunity to legalize gay marriage back in 2006 when the State Supreme Court demanded they allow gays the same rights that married couples have. Essentially, they were handed cover, and they punted, even though Corzine is supposed to be in favor of gay marriage.

You can say you're for gay marriage all you want, but if you don't act on gay marriage when you have political cover to do so, you're not really for gay marriage. (I do suspect that if he loses re-election in November—and likely only if he loses in November—you'll see the lame-duck legislature work with him to enact gay marriage.)

The court spelled out specifically what Corzine was supposed to do—make marriage and civil unions the same, with difference in name only. Instead of taking the easy route and calling it "marriage," they created a tortured new structure of law that simply has not held up to the Supreme Court's requirements.

And that brings us to Chris Christie.  Christie is not in favor of gay marriage, and I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be—he's a Republican.  His current position is that he favors the current civil unions bill, and personally opposes gay marriage.  Should gay marriage be passed, he's one of those "let the people decide" types that pervaded Massachusetts in 2004.

The line's grown a bit stale since then.  But so has Corzine.

I don't like the way he handled gay marriage, and I've said so.  And now I've said that Christie's retarded when it comes to gay marriage too.  There are plenty of reasons why I think Corzine should not be re-elected, and honestly, none of them involve gay marriage. I simply don't see how it's relevant here.

I don't remember anyone ever stresses anything about Republican internals

The only polls I ever allude to are Rasmussen, PPP, Quinnipiac, and occassionally FDU

That fact hardly seems relevant when there are jokes to be cracked.

I don't even remember the last Republican poll on the race (unless we're saying that Rasmussen is now a partisan pollster because the numbers they're giving out aren't saying what we want them to say). All we've gotten since the "dramatic, Christie-slaying revelations" are Democratic polls, a junk poll from a universally disrespected conservative activist, and yesterday's Rasmussen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »

Finally, a poll that gives a Dems a fair shot at winning this thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies