The Tories Win 2005 UK General Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Tories Win 2005 UK General Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Tories Win 2005 UK General Election?  (Read 1591 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »

Lets say in 2005 that the Tories led my Michael Howard somehow managed to gain enough seats in the general election to overturn Labour's majority and somehow form a government. If so what would have happened politically in Britain from 2005 onwards under a Conservative Government instead of a Labour one?

Would the Conservatives under Howard find themselves in the same situation as Labour today or would they be better off politically.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »

Lets say in 2005 that the Tories led my Michael Howard somehow managed to gain enough seats in the general election to overturn Labour's majority and somehow form a government. If so what would have happened politically in Britain from 2005 onwards under a Conservative Government instead of a Labour one?

Would the Conservatives under Howard find themselves in the same situation as Labour today or would they be better off politically.

In my deluded mind, they'd be in the same situation as Labour is now, leading Labour to get re-elected in 2010 under the heir presumtive in 2005, Gordon Brown. Cheesy
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2009, 09:46:20 PM by Montag »

In my deluded mind, they'd be in the same situation as Labour is now, leading Labour to get re-elected in 2010 under the heir presumtive in 2005, Gordon Brown. Cheesy

Only for Labour to lose in either 2014 or 2015 due to Gordon's lack of progress in mending Britain's economic woes. That of course depends on the magnitude of the Tories victory in 2005, which I'm assuming, based on my limited knowledge of British politics, would be excruciatingly close.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »

Only for Labour to lose in either 2014 or 2015 due to Gordon's lack of progress in mending Britain's economic woes. That of course depends on the magnitude of the Tories victory in 2005, which I'm assuming, based on my limited knowledge of British politics, would be excruciatingly close.

Then again the Conservatives would most likely take a different approach to the Global Economic Crisis, then Labour has. Although if the approach was successful then I could see the Conservatives holding power in 2009 or 2010.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »

Realistically, the best they could've done in 2005 is if they were the biggest party, while not having enough seats to form a government forcing them to coalition with some of the Northern Irish parties and/or the Liberal Democrats.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

Since there would have had to have been some major event for the Conservatives to win in 2005 at all, we need to know much more context. Anyway, Howard was a crappy leader and would have been a dismal PM, so I doubt they'd be much more popular than Labour is right now, if at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies