Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which Possible Republican Canidate has the best chance of winning against Obama?
Tim Pawlenty

Sarah Palin

Mitt Romney

Rick Santorum

Eric Cantor

Haley Barbour

Newt Gingrich

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Other (Please Name)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama?  (Read 10554 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »

I thought you were a libertarian?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »

Thinking outside the box...

John Thune. He is likeable, conservative, and has no huge skeletons like being a Mormon or a pastor. A Thune/Romney ticket would be pretty good against Obama.

I'm just not sure that he'll run.

More likely than Cantor or Giuliani.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

Mike Huckabee.

He's likable. He can get away with some of his weird BS because of that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »

I wish Rudy would run again, but he's more likely to run for NY Governor than he is for President. He pretty much ruined his chances with his performance in 2008.

Duke, don't you think the whole cross-dressing thing was a problem for him?  I mean, even if he was just joking around or doing something for charity (which I think was the case)...

Personally, as distasteful as I find Rudy's 9-11 drumbeat, I think I would be quite inclined to support him if he ran for Governor of New York.

He'll never make it through a GOP primary, especially now that the party has been purged of moderate voters. I still think, all personal issues aside like cross-dressing and multiple divorces, that he'd make a good President. He was a great mayor of NYC. His hawkishness does somewhat worry me, but he's better than the Huckabees and Palins of the GOP.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »

Pawlenty remains not very well-known, but he's the only one to be able to be competitive apart Romney.

Obviously, if he actually won the GOP presidential nomination, he would be plenty well known by November 2012.  Remember, this supposes that the person in question wins the nomination, and then asks about his or her chances in the general election against Obama.

So, take into account only the second half of my sentence.

That was just to say, he would be competitive IF he's the candidate (because he has this "humble" origin image, he 's fine-looking, he has an executive experience, he isn't from the Deep South, he's not a GOP apparatchik). But he won't be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »

Pawlenty remains not very well-known, but he's the only one to be able to be competitive apart Romney.

Obviously, if he actually won the GOP presidential nomination, he would be plenty well known by November 2012.  Remember, this supposes that the person in question wins the nomination, and then asks about his or her chances in the general election against Obama.

So, take into account only the second half of my sentence.

That was just to say, he would be competitive IF he's the candidate (because he has this "humble" origin image, he 's fine-looking, he has an executive experience, he isn't from the Deep South, he's not a GOP apparatchik). But he won't be.

Well, OK.  As I argued here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=98957.0

I actually think Pawlenty is the next most likely person to win the nomination after Romney.  Yes, he's unknown *now*, but there's plenty of time for him to change that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »

AZ, believe me a Palin nomination is exactly what us liberals want to see Smiley
Of course you do - you have bought into the funded attacks.  So you go about your days wistfully hoping that Sarah Palin will be nominated until she defeats you, the anointed one, your party and your filthy policies.

You all are like those retarded hyenas off of The Lion King.  "Mufasa, do it again...Mufasa" You can't stand to hear her name - it just eats you up on the inside doesn't it.

Palin
Palin
Palin

and for good measure
Bachmann
Bachmann
Bachmann

I wonder how many of you cringed - Im glad you did.  And youll have to do that for a long time when she is president.

Please, don't drink when you logged in
marvelrobbins
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »

The Republican nominee will be eather Romney or palin or Huchabee.Unlike us democrats Republicans
always nominate one of their front runners.Mccain was always one of their front runners for 2008
even though It did look like he might be finished.And Dems like me correctly said saint Rudy would
lose.

Romney will get killed as a flip flopper on Aboration and gay Rights.He ran to the left on Ted
Kennedy with gar Rights.And used to claim he was not one of reagan Bush's crowd.And his I would run the government like a business can be used against him.Palin Is a joke.And with her as Nominee her lies about Death Panels will be used In ads against her.She will help bring out the democratic base.
As for Huchabee he will help bring Out Hispanics For Obama.Some comments he has made will be used against him.
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

The Republican nominee will be eather Romney or palin or Huchabee.Unlike us democrats Republicans
always nominate one of their front runners.Mccain was always one of their front runners for 2008
even though It did look like he might be finished.And Dems like me correctly said saint Rudy would
lose.

Romney will get killed as a flip flopper on Aboration and gay Rights.He ran to the left on Ted
Kennedy with gar Rights.And used to claim he was not one of reagan Bush's crowd.And his I would run the government like a business can be used against him.Palin Is a joke.And with her as Nominee her lies about Death Panels will be used In ads against her.She will help bring out the democratic base.
As for Huchabee he will help bring Out Hispanics For Obama.Some comments he has made will be used against him.

John McCain was not the front runner for most of the 2008 primaries.  Get your facts straight, he was able to pull ahead just before the primaries started.  Before that it was anybodies game.  And Democrats were not saying that Saint Rudy would win, in fact, a majority of democrats were saying before the primaries that the match up would be between Rudy and Hillary.  So next time do a little research before you go and make stupid claims.  And as I recall a one George H.W. Bush came in 3rd place for the Iowa Caucasus and almost lost New Hampshire until running the Dole is a tax raiser.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

Even if he's not the most exiting people, I think Pawlenty is. Romey comes across as too much of a sleazebag, Huckabee has limited appeal, Palin is incompetent, and Gingrich is too polarizing. Pawlenty's a fresh face and wouldn't scare away moderate and independent voters. But that's just my two cents.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

Romney if he can come out strongly on health care and I think his new book will help. If he keeps ups this fumbeling with everyone else attacking him then no, health care will be big then probably too.

Maybe Huckabee, I know you all rule him as a radical but he does well were other GOP candidates do not.

Tim Pawlenty we have not seen him at full force yet, I don't know yet about him.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »

Kay Bailey Hutchison or another moderate
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

Romney if he can come out strongly on health care and I think his new book will help. If he keeps ups this fumbeling with everyone else attacking him then no, health care will be big then probably too.

Maybe Huckabee, I know you all rule him as a radical but he does well were other GOP candidates do not.

Tim Pawlenty we have not seen him at full force yet, I don't know yet about him.

Huckabee's problem is he does not and would not do well in the areas the GOP would need to win in order to defeat Obama.  He was strong in the Primary in Iowa, but the GOP base in Iowa is Much more conservative than the General election base in Iowa.  He is a terrible candidate in Colorado for a General election, same with Virginia, brutal candidate in New Hampshire.  Huckabee does best with southern white voters, and turns virtually everyone else off.  He is pretty much as regional candidate as it gets.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Mike Huckabee
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies