Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:57:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Possible Republican Canidate has the best chance of winning against Obama?
Tim Pawlenty

Sarah Palin

Mitt Romney

Rick Santorum

Eric Cantor

Haley Barbour

Newt Gingrich

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Other (Please Name)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama?  (Read 10570 times)
DariusNJ

« on: September 02, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »

I may be considered somewhat biased, however, in all honesty, Governor Romney is one of the very few Republicans at the moment who could really be considered to be Presidential material.

He has the experience, gravitas, leadership skills, intelligence, flair, and overall competence and status to mount an effective campaign and to be a serious candidate.

Mayor Giuliani is certainly an effective and intelligent individual, however, I believe that his personal life would preclude him from winning the Republican nomination.  He would be an excellent cabinet secretary in a Republican administration, or an equally effective Governor of New York.

Governor Pawlenty could well be an up and coming star in the party, but is not likely to be considered seriously as the nominee.  Vice Presidential running mate is more likely.

Congressman Gingrich is supremely intelligent, but his personal life would likely make it impossible for him to win the nomination.  I really do not believe that he would run in the first place.  Gingrich should be called into a Republican cabinet.

Senator Thune is another up and coming star for the GOP, who should be considered for the VP job.

I consider Huckabee a lightweight and somewhat of a right wing nut case who really cannot be considered seriously for the Presidency.

Governor Jindal is very intelligent but will stick with being Governor of Louisiana.  He may play more of a role in the party in the future, but not at the Presidential level.

Congressman Cantor is extremely capable and is destined to play a major leadership role in Congress.  He may run for Governor someday.

Senator Santorum suffered a defeat of such magnitude as to preclude him from any further serious Presidential speculation.  His views are considred too far right by most people for him to have any serious presence on the national stage.

Governor Barbour is a good Governor and may run for President in 2012, however, his campaign would not make it much past the starting line.

Governor Palin is, well, how can I put this politely, an airhead, and the Republican Party would be wise to end whatever misguided fascination it is they may have with her.  She should take advantage of the fact that McCain plucked her out of obscurity and thrust her into the national spolight in 2008, and go on the speaking circuit, where she could make big bucks.  I believe that is what she will do. 

Just an aside, McCain's pick of Palin in 2008 should have made it clear to anyone that he was not qualified to be President, as he failed big time his first major test as a Presidential nominee he was required to make, that being the selection of a qualified and intelligent running mate.
Romney has to really beef up his right-wing creds and become more active in the evangelical community.  Fortunately, he is the opposite of McCain - a republican moving leftward in one of the most liberal states in the union compared to a republican (McCain) who runs as a moderate in a red state that elects hard-line conservatives (Kyl).  A northeasterner on the ticket also may be good for the perception of the party.

Giuliani - not happening, personal life, abortion and gay marriage.  He cannot get past those three issues to make it through a primary.

Pawlenty - would lose in a massive landslide to Obama, hes too boring to be elected and is more of a "me too" man, also probably a closet liberal

Gingrich - according to Ann, is the talker in chief; a great representative, but a crappy potential nominee; his personal life will also get in the way, as well as his embrace of global warming

Thune - maybe, seems a little boring

Huckabee - a real shot at both the nomination and the presidency, he is articulate, funny and has shown a real knack for digging in at Obama policies in a civil way (not that I like civility, I much prefer the fun attacks), could be effective

Jindal - corn-po, and will look like the republicans meager attempt to be "diverse" in the face of Obama, he is too southern for our next nominee, whatever his good qualities; the exorcism stuff will also hurt him

Cantor - not telegenic, and boring - but not a liberal, VP material for sure

Santorum - I agree, not coming back from that defeat

Barbour - see Jindal, minus the color and exorcism stuff

Palin - very likely the nominee and would win the presidency, the only republican that generates enough enthusiasm to bring 20,000 people together, liberals hate her and treat her exactly like Nixon and Reagan, cocktail republicans also hate her, because she is too "common" for them and because she didnt abort baby Trig, these same republicans have also bought into the funded (George Soros, media and Obama administration) mass attacks on her and her family, and her intelligence for that matter - which shows you exactly who they dont want to be the nominee

Very entertaining post. Made me laugh.

Huckabee attacking Obama policies in a civil way? Did you forget his tasteless comment about Ted Kennedy and Obama's health care plan? Sarah Palin very likely to win the presidency? That's about as likely as prbrower2a voting Republican in 2012.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies