Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Possible Republican Canidate has the best chance of winning against Obama?
Tim Pawlenty

Sarah Palin

Mitt Romney

Rick Santorum

Eric Cantor

Haley Barbour

Newt Gingrich

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Other (Please Name)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Which Possible Republican Canidate Has the best Chance against Obama?  (Read 10572 times)
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -1.04

« on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

Alright, so very simple question.  I know that this may have been done before, But I wan to start a very serious discussion for Republican Members about who stands the best chance of beating Obama and also whose policies you agree with more.

I'll start right off with my Opinion and reasons.

Appealing to Middle (Most likely to win): Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, Rudy Giuliani.

These are 3 candidates who have all been elected in democrat dominated blue states as governors (or in Rudy's case, possible future Governor).  I believe that they would have the best chance of winning simply because of their huge appeal to moderates.  They aren't to far out to the right, and can bring in a lot of independents and Left Wing voters.  The only thing that might be problematic for 2 of them are their A) Religion (Romney), B) Marriages (Giuliani).  Also, I believe that Romney's healthcare bill could be his downfall in a general election.  For this reason, I believe that Pawlenty is the best choice for Republicans in 2012.  Sure he doesn't have the best approval rating in the world right now.  But look at his success, he's been governor of a Blue state for 8 years.  In my opinion he's probably also going to run in 2012 as he has already stated that he will not run for re-election as governor and he has been appearing on Fox News a lot in the past Month or so.

The Might win Crowd: Jindal, Huckabee, Cantor, and Gingrich.

These are all candidates who, if they played their cards right would stand a good chance in a general election campaign.  Jindal could probably do good with the youth, and has had a good track record as governor.  Also, he is a talented speaker, save 1 little speech to the entire party.  The only thing that I think stands in his way is that he will probably not run in 2012 because of the closeness it has with his re-election camp.  Huckabee is to much like Bush, and wouldn't do well in the Suburbs.  Cantor would have trouble with his experience, although we did just elect a Junior senator who had only been in the senate for 4 years to the highest office in the Land.  So anythings possible.  Gingrich would just be a little to Partisan and if he won, it would probably be very close.

No chance in Hell Candidates: Rick Santorum, Haley Barbour, Sarah Palin.

Palin's only had 2 years as governor and has no appeal to moderates, that and she's a complete moron.  I don't care if you cry about media bias, you didn't see John McCain shooting himself like that during interviews.  And if she's having trouble with the media in Alaska, imagine what would happen if she was President.  The other problem I have with her being nominated is that it would be the end of the Republican Party for years to come.  Any majorities that Republicans could pick up in 2010 she would destroy.  She destroyed McCain's campaign when she ran for VP, what do you think she would do during a Presidential Election.  As for Haley Barbour, Fat Bush Clone who doesn't have any chance of winning any moderate state.  And Rick Santorum, Creepy looking couldn't even win re-election as a senator decides to run for President.  NOOOOO.  Santorum would get destroyed by Obama in a general election.

that's just my 2 cents.  What do you guy's think?  Again, I'm not trying to make a clone poll that's been done a hundred times.  I want to start a very serious discussion about the future of the republican party, and the consequences of nominating the wrong person in 2012.
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »

Thinking outside the box...

John Thune. He is likeable, conservative, and has no huge skeletons like being a Mormon or a pastor. A Thune/Romney ticket would be pretty good against Obama.

I'm just not sure that he'll run.
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

The Republican nominee will be eather Romney or palin or Huchabee.Unlike us democrats Republicans
always nominate one of their front runners.Mccain was always one of their front runners for 2008
even though It did look like he might be finished.And Dems like me correctly said saint Rudy would
lose.

Romney will get killed as a flip flopper on Aboration and gay Rights.He ran to the left on Ted
Kennedy with gar Rights.And used to claim he was not one of reagan Bush's crowd.And his I would run the government like a business can be used against him.Palin Is a joke.And with her as Nominee her lies about Death Panels will be used In ads against her.She will help bring out the democratic base.
As for Huchabee he will help bring Out Hispanics For Obama.Some comments he has made will be used against him.

John McCain was not the front runner for most of the 2008 primaries.  Get your facts straight, he was able to pull ahead just before the primaries started.  Before that it was anybodies game.  And Democrats were not saying that Saint Rudy would win, in fact, a majority of democrats were saying before the primaries that the match up would be between Rudy and Hillary.  So next time do a little research before you go and make stupid claims.  And as I recall a one George H.W. Bush came in 3rd place for the Iowa Caucasus and almost lost New Hampshire until running the Dole is a tax raiser.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies