Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29
Author Topic: Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)  (Read 154851 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »

Tomorrow:

Arkansas Senate 4 (R), Kentucky Senate 14 (R) and Kentucky House 96 (D).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2009, 07:53:49 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Republicans picked up KY HD-96. SD-14 is still pending, but the Republican currently has a 2,088-vote lead.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

This special election in Kentucky brings Republicans up to a net gain of 10 seats in special electoins since Obama's election.

I dont think Democrats will be winning much of anything until they can get Obama out of the White House.  This is almost as bad as Nixon to the Republicans in 1974. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Edit: That's a ridiculous overreaction.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Especially as they've picked up one (or was it two?) seats in Kentucky in other special elections this year. Where in Kentucky bist this seat? Numbers can confuse me, especially when tired.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Especially as they've picked up one (or was it two?) seats in Kentucky in other special elections this year. Where in Kentucky bist this seat? Numbers can confuse me, especially when tired.

Central KY, southeast of Louisville.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/GIS/Senate%20Simple/s014s.pdf
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »

I dont think Democrats will be winning much of anything until they can get Obama out of the White House.  This is almost as bad as Nixon to the Republicans in 1974. 

Let's stop overreacting and deciding the future of politics based on a bunch of stupid by-elections to a state legislature.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:46 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Central KY, southeast of Louisville.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/GIS/Senate%20Simple/s014s.pdf

Ah, right. Pretty mixed area. Now, I think I do know where the State House seat the Democrats lost is (Lewis county, Carter county... maybe some other areas), and... no, that's not a surprise (or shouldn't be). Perhaps reasons to be concerned at the margin, though, hey turnout at below 20%.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2009, 05:10:58 AM »

GOP also held the Arkansas seat (district 4).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Especially considering there was a net Democratic gain of one House, and also a notable failure to take Gillibrand's.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

Especially considering there was a net Democratic gain of one House, and also a notable failure to take Gillibrand's.
What house did the democrats gain?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

I think he meant House seat, referring to NY-23.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

Republicans hold SD-14.

I think he meant House seat, referring to NY-23.

no I think he was talking about this house:
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2009, 02:35:45 AM »

No I was referring to NY-23. Please note the time of posting, not exactly a time I'm fully awake.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2009, 08:07:13 AM »

I'm about to have a heart attack. The inept, moribund Virginia Beach Democratic Party actually put someone up against Jeff McWaters in the 8th Senate district. He won't get anywhere near winning, but at least I have someone to vote for on January 12.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »

Congratulations! You should consider yourself insanely lucky. I think throwing a party is in order.

I'm laughing with you, not at you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »

I'm about to have a heart attack. The inept, moribund Virginia Beach Democratic Party actually put someone up against Jeff McWaters in the 8th Senate district. He won't get anywhere near winning, but at least I have someone to vote for on January 12.

If they're that bad how they did take out Thelma Drake?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »

If they're that bad how they did take out Thelma Drake?

Two reasons: one, Drake was a terrible empty suit of a candidate. Two, Obama coattails. Nye won by a larger margin than Obama did in the 2nd district, but the raw vote totals for Obama and Nye are almost exactly the same in each locality, except in Norfolk, where Obama got about 500 more votes. Nye's probably not going to survive unless the Republican primary gets extremely nasty.

The VBDP can't even come up with candidates most of the time, which is why I'm so surprised. Both the Democrats that won election to the House of Delegates in 2007 lost, and out of the four Republican incumbents, only one has had an opponent in the last two elections. Hell, the 8th hasn't had a Democratic candidate run since the incumbent Democrat lost in 1991.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »

Upcoming special election in Minnesota SD26. Sen. Dick Day is resigning January 8 to lead a PAC lobbying to expand gambling allowed at the state's two horse racing tracks (I actually agree with him on this, but talk about a minor issue to resign over.) Primary will be January 12 if needed and election January 26. GOP hold is most likely but I won't rule out a pickup. Call it Lean GOP.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »

In a recent confirmed election result I'm sure you're all waiting for, city council elections in my little burg were finalized last week. An acquaintance of mine ran as a nonpartisan (though he was a Republican recently, he was active in the local Obama campaign Wink )among 6 candidates including 3 incumbents for 3 seats. After preliminary vote totals of almost 900 votes he was ahead by 1 vote! After provisional ballots were counted, out of over 900 votes he won by 2. Smiley I guess his sign in my front yard actually made a difference.

A woman who watches my son afternoons was elected to a nearby village school board. How conservative is my area? She is the first woman ever elected to the board. In 2009!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »

Upcoming special election in Minnesota SD26. Sen. Dick Day is resigning January 8 to lead a PAC lobbying to expand gambling allowed at the state's two horse racing tracks (I actually agree with him on this, but talk about a minor issue to resign over.) Primary will be January 12 if needed and election January 26. GOP hold is most likely but I won't rule out a pickup. Call it Lean GOP.

Issues have little to do with it, I suspect. I'm sure he's being more than handsomely paid for his job switch.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »

Eh, probably. It's worth noting Day appears to have little interest in the state legislature anymore, he was former Minority Leader but stepped down after the crushing of the GOP caucus in 2006. He toyed with running against Walz in 2008, but almost admitted his campaign wasn't very serious and lost the convention and didn't run in the primary. Seems rather bored with elected office now, wanting to leave is hardly surprising.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »

A local mayor (Roy Srp of Waseca, not a typo apparently) is running on the Independence Party line. Any chance of an IP pickup?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2009, 11:44:46 AM by A naive young secret for the new romantics »

A local mayor (Roy Srp of Waseca, not a typo apparently) is running on the Independence Party line. Any chance of an IP pickup?

Waseca is one of the three larger towns in the district (the other two being Owatonna and Faribault), so that could be a solid plus though I don't see him having much appeal in the other two locales. Then again simply not being a Republican or Democrat would benefit someone now. I'd give him a shot if the DFL and GOP candidates suck badly. Worth noting Barkley got over 20% in the district.

The DFL does control both House seats in it, so we have no good excuse for not getting a good candidate though, I'm still hoping the GOP nominates a teabagger nutjob.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »

There's a special election for Rhode Island House District 62 today. Obama got about 70% there so it's probably not worth noting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies