Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:54:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)  (Read 155222 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/needham/2010/01/candidates_eye_browns_seat.html
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »

What is expected in Scott Brown's state Senate seat?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »

Kind of odd, I don't have an exact map of the old Brown seat, but the general area doesn't look too Republican even by Massachusetts standards. I do know it is considered one of the safest GOP seats in Massachusetts though so I'm interested in a map.

The southern half is solidly Republican. The northern half is more Democratic, but the most Democratic town (Needham) went to Ross because the Dem savaged the state Rep. from that town in the primary and then she all but endorsed the Republican. (He was from there, too, but not a political veteran like her.) That was far from making the difference in the outcome, but it didn't help.

The southern tip was stunningly Republican in this election.

In Wrentham, Ross won 86% of the vote, 1897 - 308. Eighty-six percent.

Ross got 81.2% in Plainville, 78.6% in North Attleboro, and 77.9% in Norfolk.

Brown only got 73.9% or something in Wrentham.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »

I don't think it's been scheduled yet, but I believe there will be a special election for Rep. Richard Ross's (R) seat now that he's been elected to the State Senate.

Massachusetts' Ninth Norfolk district is indeed a rare breed: It's a McCain district.

* McCain 10,830 (49.18%)
    * Obama 10,794 (49.02%)
    * Other 397 (1.80%)

I presume the front runner for the seat is Norfolk Town Moderator Dan Winslow. He also served as Chief Legal Council for Governor Mitt Romney.

The domino effect from Scott Brown's win pushing into summer special elections is amusing, even if it's not uncommon.

I am sure the MA GOP also enjoys hearing the words "Safe Republican" to describe both a state senate seat and a State Rep seat. Probably a rare occurance for an open seat since most are Safe Democratic or beyond.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

I don't think it's been scheduled yet, but I believe there will be a special election for Rep. Richard Ross's (R) seat now that he's been elected to the State Senate.

Massachusetts' Ninth Norfolk district is indeed a rare breed: It's a McCain district.

* McCain 10,830 (49.18%)
    * Obama 10,794 (49.02%)
    * Other 397 (1.80%)

I presume the front runner for the seat is Norfolk Town Moderator Dan Winslow. He also served as Chief Legal Council for Governor Mitt Romney.

The domino effect from Scott Brown's win pushing into summer special elections is amusing, even if it's not uncommon.

I am sure the MA GOP also enjoys hearing the words "Safe Republican" to describe both a state senate seat and a State Rep seat. Probably a rare occurance for an open seat since most are Safe Democratic or beyond.

Enjoy it while you can (this is still Massachusetts Tongue )

No, Srsly? I thought it was Alabama. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies