Do you still consider America a "centre-right" nation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:32:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you still consider America a "centre-right" nation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you still consider America a "centre-right" nation?
Yes, centre-right

No, centre-left

No, far-right

No, far-left

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you still consider America a "centre-right" nation?  (Read 10701 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

Depends on what is meant by "center right".

Compared to the rest of the world, yes, the United States is clearly further to the right than the global average.

But in a US context, no.....the country as a whole does not agree with the Republicans more than it does the Democrats.

With China, India, and Africa as a continent making up half the world's population? I don't think so.

The Indian mainstream is to the left of the American mainstream.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »

I consider America being a very swinging nation these last times: Clinton - Bush - Obama. Seems she's looking for herself...
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »

I consider America being a very swinging nation these last times: Clinton - Bush - Obama. Seems she's looking for herself...

How is that a swing? It's obviously trending left-authoritarian with each of those.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »

How is that a swing? It's obviously trending left-authoritarian with each of those.

LOL. Protip: none of those Presidents are 'leftists' in any real sense of the word. And Clinton was significantly to the right of Dubya on some matters.

I'm far, far more worried about right-authoritarianism at the moment. And you would be, too, if you weren't such a tool.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »

LOL. Protip: none of those Presidents are 'leftists' in any real sense of the word. And Clinton was significantly to the right of Dubya on some matters.

I'm far, far more worried about right-authoritarianism at the moment. And you would be, too, if you weren't such a tool.

Which is why I said there is a clear trend towards left-authoritarianism. You know nothing about me except my dislike of your ignorance to judge whether or not I am a tool. You regurgitate lame talking points that everyone who disagrees with you is some right-wing hack when nothing I have suggested is right-wing rhetoric at all.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »

Which is why I said there is a clear trend towards left-authoritarianism. You know nothing about me except my dislike of your ignorance to judge whether or not I am a tool. You regurgitate lame talking points that everyone who disagrees with you is some right-wing hack when nothing I have suggested is right-wing rhetoric at all.

BAW BAW BAW

I WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK CONSERVATIVE PRICK EVEN TO THE DETRIMENT OF LIBERTARIANISM

BAW BAW BAW
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »

BAW BAW BAW

I WILL CONTINUE TO SUCK CONSERVATIVE PRICK EVEN TO THE DETRIMENT OF LIBERTARIANISM

BAW BAW BAW

Ooh, but I'm no conservative and I'm also no libertarian. Idiot.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »

Yes.  America is definitely a center-right nation.  Of course, we haven't had any hard-core liberals in the White House to steer us left either.  Bush wasn't far right, he was in the middle of the right spectrum.  Clinton was a conservative Democrat, Obama is a center-left Democrat, from the way he's ticking off the liberals in his own party.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »

For a western nation, center-right, though its conservatism seems to have peaked. Basically, we are more conservative than liberal, but I wouldn't say that we are a "conservative" country. In terms of adding the Third World and The West together, I think we're pretty much in the center. I have heard conservatives state that we are a center-left country. They argue that we have a multi-cultural society and more protection from the police and prosecutors than in almost every other country in the world. They also claim that we have some of the worst deficits due to government spending.

From what I have objectively seen, on social issues, we are more divided on social issues than most of the rest of the west. We pretty much split about the same on our abortion laws and our inability to change them as in the west. In South Dakota, a comprimise bill to let both the abortive mother and fetus be heard (much like in Spain or the United Kingdon) was defeated 56-44. 20-somethings voted against it 61-39, though 18 and 19 year-olds voted 59-41 (I don't think it means anything that high school and college kids are more likely to want to prosecute abortion doctors- I think its a natural part of growing up- I was anti-abortion for a couple of years). In terms of stem-cell research, the states in Europe are diverse in their laws as are the individual United States. Some strongly support it, some prosecute stem cell research more than even abortion. Some have Bush-like restrictions and many are silent on stem cell research. In terms of Gay Rights, only a few states have made progress on this issue while in Europe a substaintial number have. In terms of 1st, 4th and 5th amendment rights, we have better laws dealing with the seperation of church and state (though Americans are more comfortable with public displays of religion than Europeans) and the rights of the accused. (though they have been eroded somewhat to deal with increases in crime). All in all, I think we might be slightly-right of center compared to the rest of the North Atlantic, but somewhat left-of-center compared to all countries.

In terms of economic issues, 36% of the American Ecdnomy is public spending. The average in Europe is about 42-44%, with Switzerland being about 32% and Iceland being about 55%...with Italy and Germany in the low 40s. However, in the United States, there are rights to organize workers, but no guarantee that they will keep their jobs afterwards. There is also no guarantee in the United States that courts will enforce your health insurance contracts. However, the United States seems to be less tolerant of Corporate corruption and seems to have a better system of assigning legal rights to economic damages for injured people. In terms of public healthcare outlays, the government pays about 40-45% of the healthcare costs in this country. Its between 50-60% in most of Europe. On the whole, we are probably center-right on the economy in terms of other modern nations, but probably centrist world-wide.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 08:13:55 AM »

It used to be very much so, but now it seems like the country is split between far-right and far-left with not a whole lot in between.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »

No, not on the issues. Most Americans are in favor of meaningful government regulation, healthcare reform, social security, gay marriage, meaningful gun control and free education (among other things).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »

No, not on the issues. Most Americans are in favor of meaningful government regulation, healthcare reform, social security, gay marriage, meaningful gun control and free education (among other things).

Agreed
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »

We are ideologically centre-right but functionally centre-left.

For example, there's many people who consider themselves "conservative" but believe in higher spending on healthcare, education, and infrastructure. They just don't want to pay higher taxes for it.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »

Which countries would you describe as centre-right?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies